Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New boingy bits

ben said:
thanks Roger. :thumbup:

i think its a shame instructions like that dont come with the suspension lift kits that ironman (and others) sell, if they had id have done that on mine. :thumbdown:

You can still do the nuts/bolts Ben.

Roger

All done.

2 corners were as simple as could be, 2 were an absolute nightmare !

Ride much better, all four old shocks were completely u/s.

Am going to give it a day of local driving, then down to the garage on Monday for them to check all the nuts and bolts for me.

No anti roll bar does make the truck seem a bit unstable, but will give it a few days of taking it easy before I make a decision on anti roll bars.

Good news is doing it myself has saved me £400 plus vat, bad news is that the exhaust is in a poor state and started blowing....did have it in mind to change, just not yet!

Will post before and after shots tomorrow.

Cheers

Pete

Well done Pete. ...
it's always better to know that you've saved money by doing the job yourself :thumbup: :thumbup:

yep .. the ride is soo much nicer, :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: can't wait to see the pics :D

Well done Pete (there will be no stopping him now).

Torque settings are:-

Top front shock - 130 ft-lb.

Bottom front - as necessary to compress rubbers.

Front panhard rod - chassis end -106 ft-lb. axle end - 92 ft-lb.

rear " " both ends - 184 ft-lb.

Trailing arms to chassis - front and back - 130 ft-lb.

Rear shock - top - 47 ft-lb

" " bottom - as front.

Roger

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Roger Fairclough said:
ben said:
thanks Roger. :thumbup:

i think its a shame instructions like that dont come with the suspension lift kits that ironman (and others) sell, if they had id have done that on mine. :thumbdown:

You can still do the nuts/bolts Ben.

Roger

will be removing it all next month when is trip it all down, so will do it then. :thumbup:

glad you got it sorted Pete. :thumbup:

Before
002.jpg

After
030.jpg

Will try and get a less shadowy updated picture.

Big improvement in ride.

I did take some measurements at a set point on the wheelarch, I think there is an increase of about 140-150mm, so 6" overall, of which 2" was an increase & the other 4" just coming back up to normal ride height.

I cant get over the old shocks still, they were dreadful, I've never seen anything as bad. The coils were fine though, will hold on to them.

Pete

Looks great Pete :thumbup: :thumbup:

yours is the same color as ours is (dark green on top of silver)

11-Jul-2011113701.jpg

just noticed you don't have the decals at the bottom of the doors ...... how do you get rid of them ??

I've heard people say use a hair dryer to that question but have no practical experience to offer in how do do it or how effective it will be...

You can get one of these from any bodyshop supplies, never used one myself but they are supposed to be good.

EraserWheel.jpg

Thanks Andy ...
we have just bought on of those ...... so will be able to tell everyone if they work ok or not :thumbup:

It didnt have any when I got it.

My mate who owns the garage I used does car graphics/vinyl wrapping etc - I will ask him if there is a knack to it.

On an old ford that had them I used hot water and peeled them off, but the glue didnt all come off, it left a difference in colour as the exposed paint was faded/weathered.

The trucks do look very similar dont they. I think your 33's look better with the lift, but not sure my engine was up for it.

Whats the little red box on your grille?

Pete

wobbly said:
It didnt have any when I got it.

My mate who owns the garage I used does car graphics/vinyl wrapping etc - I will ask him if there is a knack to it.

On an old ford that had them I used hot water and peeled them off, but the glue didnt all come off, it left a difference in colour as the exposed paint was faded/weathered.

The trucks do look very similar dont they. I think your 33's look better with the lift, but not sure my engine was up for it.

Whats the little red box on your grille?

Pete

That little red box is an "Anderson connector" .. for my jump leads (instand 12v power without lifting the bonnet)

I had to put spacers behind my 33's so they wouldn't rub the radius arms.
i haven't put lift springs on ours i just replaced the old with new.

it struggles a bit going up hill but otherwise around the town it's fine on the 33's

Red Oktober said:
Looks great Pete :thumbup: :thumbup:

yours is the same color as ours is (dark green on top of silver)

11-Jul-2011113701.jpg

just noticed you don't have the decals at the bottom of the doors ...... how do you get rid of them ??

To remove mine, I tried the hair dryer. This left the glue and no amount of petrol would get that off, so I took the motor to my local paint shop and they used a "liquid" to do the job. He wouldn't tell me what the "liquid" was though. The colour variation does disappear in time.

Roger

Roger Fairclough said:
To remove mine, I tried the hair dryer. This left the glue and no amount of petrol would get that off, so I took the motor to my local paint shop and they used a "liquid" to do the job. He wouldn't tell me what the "liquid" was though. The colour variation does disappear in time.

Roger

The "liquid" was probably Panel Wipe which is a general purpose de-greaser used prior to painting.

Back