Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

oily air inlet pipe?

Matt999

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi there,

Recently bought a toy car - 80 series 4.2 12v vx 1992. Was having a play around with it today and had the 'S' piping off between the air filter and the turbo and noticed that the inner walls were oily - is this normal? I know the air filter is an oil bath type but I wouldn't have thought the inner walls of the piping would be running in it!

Matt

There is a breather goes into the air inlet so you will get an oil mist in there which is normal. A large quantity may suggest engine issues, but a few drops running out on a warm day would be totally normal.

You have an oil bath air filter…on an 80?
This calls for a photo please. :)

Last edited:
ok time for me to eat humble pie I think! haha. Its still very early in the morning - thats the excuse I'm going for!

What issues come to mind?

Usually excess crank-case pressure indicating some compression leakage past the piston rings Matt, but unless it's very severe, I wouldn't pay it too much attention.

Broken or "stuck-in" rings will really pump it out, so if it's just a bit of pressure (a lb or two) don't worry. Thumb over the pipe end should stop it, but only if that needs reasonable force to stop it, then you might have a problem. IMO of course...

You MAY on a principal note consider fitting an oil catch tank.
It will however not helf if Your engine is suffering from excessive over preassure on the cranck case or as Clive indicated blow by on the piston rings.
Without a complete rebuild, the blow by will not be positively cured regardless what people say (online)
How much over pressure is acceptable in the crank case on your engine others must advice on.
I have yet had to measure that spesific engine.
Also, IF you have a worn turbo, oil may be getting through that way. Oil inside an IC (your should not have one from factory) is rather common.
Keep an eye on the situation as the truck is new to you to better be advices on the engine health status

A small amount of oil is normal IMO, I have a 100 and it too has some oil in this area, enough that if I wiped my finger around inside the pipe I could get a couple of drips out of it.

However I change my oil every 10,000kms and I never have to top up between changes in fact the oil level does not seem to move at all, so I am relaxed about finding some oil probably looks worse than it is.

My 100 has now completed 190,000 miles with a fair amount of towing over the last 50,000 miles and I am impressed that it does not use oil and the engine is very dry indeed.

Does yours use any oil?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I understand MATT hast just purchased his J8
It may take some time & possibly an oil change to establish a good comparison figure.

As for the oil filter bath, this may be the case.
I have spent some time in East Africa. Espesially J6-8 delivered to/from Kenya had them. I have seen claims Toyo has a CKD-plant there, but I have found little to support this info. Perhaps someone here can tell?

@T1-> The 100 in my avatar has not been with me for too long & it does not use any oil.
It is going on a Euro-tour again soon, which will give some more indications towards its overall condition.

Back