Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

OK! so its not a Cruiser.

Would that be 'dibs' Stu.??:lol:. or maybe its a SA thing?

Anyway I'm not totally convinced about the effectiveness of those tyres compared with others for off road use. They look like they will have a large footprint and not 'bite' as well as narrower ones but I might be wrong. Anyway I will have the answers soon when I have tried different tyre combo's. Also I'm not that convinced that axle articulation is going to be in the 80/LRDefender class but I may be proved wrong.
As far as I know LC wheels will fit it so it will be part Toyo.

Andy

Thanks for that Andy, looks like a very good piece of kit.

Anyway Scott, while you are on, and I know you are on honeymoon and all that but if you get chance if you see a good s/h turbo conversion kit for the Trol snap it up and bring it back if you can. I'll pay you at the next Lincomb meeting if thats ok :thumbup:,if you bring it with you that is.

:laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling:

Happy New Year

Andy
Cheers, Andy. Happy New Year to you too.

I'll keep my eyes open, but I'm not sure whether I'd have room in my hand luggage. Had dinner at a sea front restaurant at Red Cliff this evening, I was kept entertained by the almost continual flow of modified 4WD's that were cruising past. Definitely a plus point, the amount of 4WDs on the road over here.

Love it! :clap:

Before I entered the world of LC ownership I was actually looking at buying a SWB Patrol. :icon-twisted:

Very common over here, I know quite a few people with them. :icon-cool:

They go very well off road, but being a shortie get ready to be lifting wheels where longer wheel base trucks drive with all the wheels on the ground.

Kind of makes things more exciting. :icon-twisted:

If you need a hand sourcing/sending you over any parts give me a shout. :icon-wink:

Patrolapart who specialize in all things Patrol are only 20mins up the road from me. :icon-smile:

We didn't discuss it earlier, but I am guessing that it's not been re-geared. 37's really do knock the torque down and of course push the strain factor up. Should you blow a diff, what's that going to cost?

It pains me to say this but the Patrol driveline pisses all over that of the LandCruiser one for strength and reliability. :icon-redface:

At all the comps I've been going to all most everyone has been driving Patrols and they don't bother upgrading half shafts and then use them in anger running super sticky 37" Maxxis Trepadors! :icon-twisted:

The gearboxes and transferboxes also very rarely go wrong, to the point that second hand Patrol boxes are cheap, where as 80 series boxes are mega money.

As Scott correctly said they run 9" diffs front and back, where as the 80 series basically runs a hi-lux front diff. :ugeek:

Overall I think the 80 series LC is the best 4wd, especially for overlanding/touring. But for an out and out off road warrior the Patrol is stronger IMHO. :icon-biggrin:

Well I have had a look at it now. It's a beast of a thing. Looks like you could knock a house down with it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'd half heartedly looked at SWB GQ Patrols/Ford Mavericks over here when I came back, but quickly realised that they were only petrol unless I found an imported Patrol from Japan (Which is what Shorty is in 4WD(in)action) which then means you've got the challenge of 24 volt electrics...

Do like their appearance, and after using an MQ that was a paddock basher and not looked after at all, their robust-ness is impressive.

This one lives just around the corner from my office...

Looks good and well maintained even though he takes it offroad regularly.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,020.9 KB · Views: 100
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    900.6 KB · Views: 198
That does look very smart Clive. I don't know much about Trols really but I guess that has the 3.0l diesel in it. In truth I have always thought that the Trol lived in the shadow of the Cruiser but they are capable trucks.

Andy

Yes, you see a lot of them in the Middle East....

Theres only a couple of those in the whole of OZ Clive!

Loads of 5 door GU Patrols but the 3 door was never sold here sadly. Obviously we got the earlier GQ in 3 door which is what Andy has bought. Apparently the axles under the later GU are stronger than the earlier GQ ones so its a common mod to fit the later axles under the earlier truck. :icon-ugeek:

When I was in Qatar, the only truck the locals rated was the trol, of course with the 4.8 turbo or supercharged gas engines. They laughed at my 3l Pajero (at the time) and quite right too, it was gutless on the dunes when we had the occasional weekend outings. The trols just flew up the dunes! :oops:

Last edited:
Back