Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Old musicians / performers

Farnham is bit of a legend in oz ... He says something along the lines of he has never been cool so hasn't gone out of fashion.

Clive I suspect you've already watched this one ... ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19JN50bLKjY

Yes Grant, I linked to it in the first post.

I've always liked Coldplay and recently I've seen live vids, from Paris and Madrid and realized they're even better live than their records. I can't explain this, audience feedback and atmosphere has a lot to do with it, but thankfully I don't have to give reasons :lol:

Music is a strange one, I can like a performer even though their singing voice may be (technically) crap. The list is sort of endless, IMO Rod Stewart, the late Joe Cocker and Janice Joplin, even Eric Clapton (and many others) have crap singing voices, but they win through on their performance. Hard to explain what I'm getting at, but maybe others might agree.

I like a wide range of stuff, from Zeppelin through to Presley, it's all about persona and the feelings they inspire inside, more than their technical abilities in voice or playing an instrument.

Favourites of mine include Neil Young, Mark Knopfler, Dido and the Cure, and some more recent artists such as the Royals and Coldplay, all sorts really. Many without reasons that can be specific.

I'm allowed to ramble, it's my thread :lol:

I kind of agree there Clive, though I wouldn't say they have 'crap' voices, I would say they all have great voices. It's a bit along the lines of 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'.

I could never get on with The Cure or The Smiths, but I can see that what they do is obviously popular, so it must be great to many. It boils down to if you 'get it' or not. In some respects, the technically brilliant can be less interesting than the rough diamonds.

Take the girl that won X factor this year. No opera singer, but a fabulous voice in a Janice Joplin sort of way. Or P!nk, for another example, who I had overlooked until Lynn got into her.

Perhaps based on your post Clive, they're great because they have (in your words) crap voices.

Most would say i'm a fan of Johnny Cash and i have always said he can't sing , maybe that's why i like him i can sing along without getting thrown out :lol:

I kind of agree there Clive, though I wouldn't say they have 'crap' voices, I would say they all have great voices. It's a bit along the lines of 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'.

I could never get on with The Cure or The Smiths, but I can see that what they do is obviously popular, so it must be great to many. It boils down to if you 'get it' or not. In some respects, the technically brilliant can be less interesting than the rough diamonds.

Take the girl that won X factor this year. No opera singer, but a fabulous voice in a Janice Joplin sort of way. Or P!nk, for another example, who I had overlooked until Lynn got into her.

Perhaps based on your post Clive, they're great because they have (in your words) crap voices.

:text-goodpost: :text-+1:

Kris Kristopherson sang me and bobby mcgee better than janis joplin , whitney houston sang i will always love you better than dolly parton , I am off to the pub today with my 3 million year old father in law where we will resume our continuous argument about his fav song "i believe" he insists he sings the frankie lane version but its elvis he sings (its good for his heart to wind him up :lol:) and when he does a dukebox doesn't stand a chance and on one occasion when i was with him the live performer offered him the stage . Bill declined saying he has never used a microphone and the singer replied with genuine respect you don't need one mate .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Kris Kristopherson sang me and bobby mcgee better than janis joplin , whitney houston sang i will always love you better than dolly parton , I am off to the pub today with my 3 million year old father in law where we will resume our continuous argument about his fav song "i believe" he insists he sings the frankie lane version but its elvis he sings (its good for his heart to wind him up :lol:) and when he does a dukebox doesn't stand a chance and on one occasion when i was with him the live performer offered him the stage . Bill declined saying he has never used a microphone and the singer replied with genuine respect you don't need one mate .

Another favourite of mine. For the benefit of those who don't know Kris Kristofferson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-J7mLyD3yc

Last edited:
I don't know what it is, but some of these play for me (like the JF one Clive posted) and some don't. Something to do with tapatalk no doubt.

Most would say i'm a fan of Johnny Cash and i have always said he can't sing , maybe that's why i like him i can sing along without getting thrown out :lol:

Like that Shayne, we all sound good :lol:

His daughter and stepdaughter (Roseanne Cash and Carlene Carter) are both great singers.

I don't know what it is, but some of these play for me (like the JF one Clive posted) and some don't. Something to do with tapatalk no doubt.

TBH Rich, I've grown to hate tippy tap, I can't get it do anything I want it to, use the iPad for most things, at least the screen is big enough for me to read stuff :lol: (in focus, that is)

great thread :thumbup:

I like all sorts of music, I could probably find at least one tune/song I like in every genre :dance: for the last few years my music choice has been dictated by how easy it is to play on the guitar :lol: I'm in a Bluegrass phase atm.

Driving music I tend to go through phases too, I'm in a banging tunes phase atm - Basement Jaxx, where's your head at - Faithless, mass destruction, insomnia - Prodigy, Firestarter. Run DMC, it's like that - Cameo, Word up.

Not the best version Chas , i have the studio recorded version of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahpIirW0svY , the video and the audience in the link took something away from the song for me but when i listen to it at home i hear a man telling a story of lost love and regret covered with a false smile and a broad back .

For me I mostly listen to the radio while I'm in range. Otherwise it can be anything really. Often simply what's in the car. It then gets played to death. One album that's stood the test and keeps coming back out is Don Henley, The End Of The Innocence. Which brings me to a great song, that's also a great driving song, and some others too
Don Henley. Boys of summer.
Brian Adams Run to you
Pat Benatar, Love is a battlefield

Last edited:
Not the best version Chas , i have the studio recorded version of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahpIirW0svY , the video and the audience in the link took something away from the song for me but when i listen to it at home i hear a man telling a story of lost love and regret covered with a false smile and a broad back .

It's a great track but that version in your link is sung just a little too fast I think. I know what you mean about him telling a story, that's exactly what I hear when I listen to it.

I can't really offer any driving music being sat in an armchair in a large metal cage suits easy listening i guess . I did occasionally wear headphones on a bike and then it was stuff like - thin lizzy the boys are back - iron maiden run to the hills - queen we will rock you - meatloaf bat out of hell - guns and roses paradise city - steppenwolf born to be wild , and that sort of behavior should be banned i reckon :whistle:

Last edited:
Back