Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

On this day in history

On this day in 1937 German Nazi and Italian Fascist planes bombed the town of Gernika , Euskadi , famously depicted in Pablo Picassos painting , Guernica.
Guernica.jpg

On this day in 1828 London Zoo was opened.

Attachments

• London Zoo.jpg
    London Zoo.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 71
On this day in in 1886 between 300 000 and half a million workers started a general strike in the USA to demand an 8 hour day.

On this day 80 years ago the May blitz on Liverpool had started, It was in Gerry’s sights because of all the convoys that came in from the US and Canada (about 4000 in all)
I listened to a programme on radio 4 this morning called Broadcasting House which had a recording made by a fire watcher during the blitz. My Mum and her 2 sisters worked in Liverpool right down by the docks and would have heard what I heard today, she told me plenty of stories over the years but I have to say it was quite moving to actually hear it as it happened!

On this day 80 years ago the May blitz on Liverpool had started, It was in Gerry’s sights because of all the convoys that came in from the US and Canada (about 4000 in all)
I listened to a programme on radio 4 this morning called Broadcasting House which had a recording made by a fire watcher during the blitz. My Mum and her 2 sisters worked in Liverpool right down by the docks and would have heard what I heard today, she told me plenty of stories over the years but I have to say it was quite moving to actually hear it as it happened!
My dad was a kid living near Coventry during the war & remembered one raid where a land mine hit a house a few streets away , also the night when Coventry Cathedral was destroyed. In the early 50s he was stationed on Cologne during national service & said that large areas of the city were still in ruins.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
OK, get ready for the trolls,
On this day in 1979 Maggie Thatcher won the election and became the UK's first woman Prime Minister.
The best thing to happen to Britain since Winston Churchill.

I have a neighbour who has a Weimaraner named Rommel. I realised the other day I was sending him home by raising my right and pointing whilst saying "Rommel, Home"
This popped up after someone had Liked it today - unfortunately Rommel died about 2 years ago.

Neighbour still has a Weimaraner, this one is called Rudi and still gets told to go home - now aided by our Kelpie x Collie who we've trained to bark at Rudi!

OK, get ready for the trolls

= those that I disagree with , whose arguments i don't like.

"The best thing to happen to Britain since Winston Churchill " so much for keeping politics out of this thread or not inviting debate.

Like Churchill a divisive character to say the least , hated by a wide section of society.On a 76% turnout she won 43% of the vote , hardly a crushing victory.The Labour vote was down 2.3% on the previous election with the Liberals the biggest losers. Her legacy is a society where individual interests come above all else , the consequences being that a large part of British society feel that they have entitlement but no responsibility & are happy to see others pay the price for their actions.

Last edited:
On this day in 1961 the first of the Freedom Rides started out from Washington D.C. en route to New Orleans .Despite rulings from the U.S. supreme court a de facto system of Apartheid existed in the southern states and activists decided that direct action was needed.The riders were met withe extreme violence in Alabama and Mississippi where police chiefs collaborated with the KKK to coordinate attacks .In contrast the peaceful Riders were arrested en masse.
The initial reaction of President Kennedy and his brother Robert was to condemn the Riders because of the embarrassment they caused the Nation on the world stage.

Zey may hef lost ze var, but zey vere ze best dressed.

On this day in 1945:

Attachments

• May 4th.jpg
    May 4th.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 36
On this day in 1994 The Queen and France’s President François Mitterrand formally open the Channel Tunnel after eight years of construction - watch the ceremony from Calais.

On this day in 1945 Prime Minister Winston Churchill officially announces the end of World War Two in Europe, otherwise known as VE Day.

On this day in 1994 The Queen and France’s President François Mitterrand formally open the Channel Tunnel after eight years of construction - watch the ceremony from Calais.
My Mum did a lot of the typing for one of the consulting vets for the Chunnel from about 1984-1987 or so, mainly looking at how to prevent the appearance of rabies in the UK.

On this day in 1983 Margaret Thatcher's Conservatives win a second term in power, thanks to a landslide election victory. :hearteyes:

ALSO:
On this day May 9th in 1671 Colonel Thomas Blood attempted to steal the Crown Jewels from the Tower of London

Last edited:
On this day in 1994 Nelson Mandela becomes South Africa’s first black president in the country’s inaugural democratic elections.
But let us not forget this man was a terrorist to begin with, but he became good so that's OK then?

On this day in 1994 Nelson Mandela becomes South Africa’s first black president in the country’s inaugural democratic elections.
But let us not forget this man was a terrorist to begin with, but he became good so that's OK then?
Despotic regimes & their apologists always call those who oppose them terrorists.

I was to young to have much interest in politics through the Thatcher years but for better or for worse she came with a plan and enacted it without the benefit of hindsight earning global respect as the Iron Lady for doing it . We can only hope that somewhere in the future such strength of character comes forth with a plan and the benefit of hindsight .

I don't know and i haven't investigated it so i will ask - are the EU not pretty much following her plan with the benefit of hindsight and knowing the consequences in advance ?

Back