Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Project 80: Codename Grey Ghost

Chris, is that Patriot rack the standard length for an 80 rack or did you get an extra long one?

Gary, I had an extended one built. I have a very nice AO one sitting here but with the hard top tent on there's no space left. Couldn't see the point of a roof rack with nothing on it.

Good question on the exhaust. It's fine as it is and not going to get caught plus it's protected by the steps now so I won't burn my leg anymore. But it's hardly professional. Thing is I don't want to spend £400 on making it look nicer. I very much doubt that a custom replacement will give any better performance. It's the bend of the axle that saps the power. I might come out the back at some point instead so it's quieter but it's more smart than performance.

Just a few words on the EFS suspension so far - for those reading and interested.

Went laning in Wales this weekend fully loaded. Both fuel tanks, water, boxes, recovery kit etc. The drive there was smooth and pretty quiet too since moving the RTT to the front. Had the window down and arm out most of the way, Truck was very good in the roundabouts and corners although I'd say under heavy braking I found the Cooper STTs a bit squirmy. Out in the rough stuff over rock steps, drops, bumps and so on the truck was incredibly poised. Articulation was very good despite it not being set up as an off roader. The new FNB bushes must be working well. I have no rattles, boings, clunks or other alarming sounds and incredibly nothing got thrown around inside. Everything stayed in place. All I could hear was the gentle hiss of the dampers as I rocked about. At the end of the big lane we compared temperatures of the dampers. The EFS was barely warm.

I know Morocco is going to be rough in places, but the vehicle got a workout that I'd be surprised if we replicated on the trip. When I couldn't simulate of course was endless miles over rough roads at speed. But it should be able to cope with that based on this weekend's performance.

Overall verdict - EFS. Very pleased.

Next job is to check all the bolts and fixings, service the usual bits, do the full handbrake refirb and basically watch the dates go by until October.

Haha just wait until you hit the corrugations on the desert trails Chris, they REALLY work the shocks hard. So it will get a much harder workout in Morocco :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well that's what I was saying really Andy. I can't simulate corrugations here in the UK but the workout over lumps and bumps was as much as you'd find anywhere. We had a pay and play site all to ourselves on Saturday and gave the trucks a good work out over all sorts of terrain. I don't have any doubts about the punishment that these roads give to suspension but neither do I have any concerns over how EFS will handle them. If this stuff won't then we're all in trouble.

I had a good look at Chris's truck this weekend and seeing it in action is really a testament to Chris's work. Nothing phased it all weekend.

He was always the last to start setting up camp and first to finish. Well thought out and very functional. I'm jealous...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cheers Ryan. Well it does what it was built to do and I was pleased it managed the cross over into the off road bits. It needs to be able to dip its toe into either side of its core function. So it has to be able to cruise at speed on the motorway and climb rock steps.

I have spent a lot of time looking at other people's set ups and listen a great deal to Lazz as he's been there and owned the T shirt shop! I was pleased with the way it all worked. Setting up is so fast it's ridiculous. Packing away isn't a bind either and I wasn't working in my own way all of the time. It still needs a routine I think and I have to arrange some of the packing to make the most sense but the commonly needed stuff was really to hand.

Good to hear it's working well, plenty work has gone into it and obviously it's paying off.

Just need to sort that Zorst Gary

I know Morocco is going to be rough in places, but the vehicle got a workout that I'd be surprised if we replicated on the trip. When I couldn't simulate of course was endless miles over rough roads at speed. But it should be able to cope with that based on this weekend's performance.

Glad to see everythings working according to plan

Hopefully Morocco won't be too bad but we will have rocky pistes, corrugations and maybe a little bit more technical on the way through the mountains but the constant small bumps and rocks really give the suspension a work out, the wear could be 3or 4 times faster than normal driving I suppose. Mines pretty basic, standard stuff (with a lift that'll scare you when you see it :D) but much much lighter and the shocks get very hot after a few hours. All the rougher stuff will be fairly slow maybe 20mph tops, your fancy stuff will have no problems

PS 108 Days

Some of the finishing touches now. About time I had some sounds in here. I only have one tape cassette and I can't keep listening to that all the way to Morocco. So in went a neat non mech Alpine unit. Fitted a treat. It has Bluetooth, USB and 3.5 jack. No CD player, no moving bits. Synchs straight to my phone or eyepatch.

So how is it? Flipping great. Standard Yota speakers are far better than people give them credit for. This has bass, mid and treble adjustment and a couple of minutes in and I was rocking. It's all I need. I couldn't have it on full, it's loud even for me. And the speakers were more than happy.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-06-18 at 14.53.34.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-06-18 at 14.53.34.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 279
OK so managed to make the brackets today. Oh I love that miller and the DRO. Perfect every time.

They'll need painting tomorrow. Or powder coating.

Screen Shot 2015-06-18 at 21.58.40.jpg

Stealth mount. With the black screens in you can't really see it.

Screen Shot 2015-06-18 at 21.58.27.jpg

Nice that the sides light up

Screen Shot 2015-06-18 at 21.59.07.jpg

OK so when you turn it on it's like some sort of dying sun.

Screen Shot 2015-06-18 at 21.59.25.jpg

looks great!
I have to say that I have been very impressed with the one on top of my 95 - it is, just like day time driving, but at night! - takes a few seconds for the eyes to adjust to dipped beam though...:)

I slipped out last night and pointed it down the road. Put all my lights on then clicked on the Halo. Armageddon. Whilst I appreciate oncoming traffic wouldn't like it, I wish I could just drive around with that on at night. They really are staggering aren't they. I just need to angle it up a tiny bit more.

I have been well impressed with my light bar. I went for a cheap one of eblag as i was not sure if i would smash it, I dont have much luck with roofs and things on them.
you cant belive how much difference it makes on a dark lane or in the woods.
stu

....It has Bluetooth, USB and 3.5 jack. No CD player, no moving bits...

Haha, great minds think alike! :D

Re: suspension, I took my Range Rover Sport across Morocco on standard air suspension and that coped with the corrugations fine, so I am sure the EFS kit will cope just fine!

Looking forward to getting my car loaded up so I can see how my EFS kit performs too now. Took it "off-roading" last weekend with an empty truck and although it felt a little stiff, the dampers felt very controlled too, which is good. With weight I hope the springs will "soften" a bit and I'll be sorted!

Last edited:
These light bars are great. I have one that replaced my IPF spots, it's a different light and a different concept altogether from spots, better IMO, for my use. I also have a shorter one on the front of the roof which isn't powered up yet, work in progress. Likewise facing rearwards, as a reversing/worklight, also WIP. They were not cheap, imported by a local 4x4 guy, but very nicely made, looking the same as Chris' but without the illuminated ends or the covers. Well pleased with them.

I have mine wired up to come on with high beam! I pitty the fool that fails to dip his lights.......:auto-swerve:

Back