Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Project 'red van' (says the 4 year old) build thread

Clean the sensors first but i tore my truck apart several times tracing seat belt wiring and everything i could think of without luck until i replaced the steering wheel clockspring .
New one on me Shayne.... What the heck is the clockspring?

And on a related note.... How do you read codes of these old beasties? Is there a paper clip and flashes of dash light trick?

Basically a wire coil that keeps your steering wheel airbag plugged in , i found a new one for not ridiculous money on ebay and you have to wind it anti clockwise 8 times or something before you fit it , its written on it ?

Its a straight forward enough job to swap , take the steering wheel off unplug and unscrew . But like i said cleaning the sensors on your hub costs nothing and dirty sensors i think are the most common cause of abs faults .

There is a paperclip trick on here for the 90 series but i don't know it i'm afraid .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-Airba...ser-100-Prado-90-95-84306-12070-/332810524929

codes wont assist on the ABS. But if you have a search on pradopoint forum, they have the procedure for what pins to jump on the diagnostics port. What Shayne said is right though. It's probably a dusty ABS sensor on wheel. It may even go away with driving the truck a bit.

Hey guys... Finally got some time on the truck... Rear arches in final stages and front bumper started.

IMG_20200229_170117__01.png IMG_20200229_162141__01.png IMG_20200229_165719__01.png IMG_20200229_162101__01.png

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Looking like a zombie apocalypse survival truck with all the new metal fab work.

So what which bank are you thinking of ram raiding :shifty:

I'm looking forward to seeing it in the flesh someday - its a tank :thumbup:

So what which bank are you thinking of ram raiding :shifty:

I'm looking forward to seeing it in the flesh someday - its a tank :thumbup:
hahaha

The wife's first comment was "it's like something out of mad max"

Paperclip thing is described here, but essentially you short pins 4 and 13 of the mOBD (looks like OBD-2 but isn't) connector in the footwell, or the E1 and TE1 of the diagnostics connector on the inlet manifold (at least on the 5VZ-FE), then count the engine lamp flashes.

For example 5 flashes then 2 flashes is code '52'. It's possible it can have more than one code, in which case there is a pause of a few seconds between codes.

If you just get continuous flashes then there are no codes stored.

Code list is here but you can get them from lots of different sites by googling 'toyota flash codes 5VZ' or whatever depending on your engine.

https://www.auto-manual.com/fault-codes/error-codes-toyota/

Back