Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Pyreness June - July

Hi Clive,

The Drone was a DJI Maviric Pro. I rented it off a friend. They are just to expensive for me to justify purchasing one. I know after the trip I wouldn't use it much. The camera comes with it. It has 2 huge pluses over others, 1 it has Follow Me feature, which you saw in the video above. But to be honest it was such a ball ake to get working, I stopped trying after a few goes. It really needs 2 people to do it. The 2nd it packs down really small.

If your not worried to much about size and the Follow Me feature, at the moment this one seems to be the one to get.
Xiaomi Mi Drone FPV 4K
http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Xiao...al-Control-Mode-UAV-RC-Quadcopter-367441.html

For balance between cost, video quality and handling, everyone raves about it. and its half the cost. You really need a minimum of 3 batteries.

Your other option is to do what I did is find a friend to hire you one. Or share the purchase with a friend. I just find once I'm back from a trip I don't really have a use them.

As for the Action camera, I got a Yi 4K+(plus). Brilliant, really, really happy with the picture quality, just outstanding.

What you do have to plan for is data storage. I travelled with a Synology 3tb NAS drive. This has 2 internal 3tb hard drives, one automatically backs the other up. I'm a real paranoid about backing up data. I'm not happy till my data is on 2 devices. 4k video just eats up data, I was was on average each day, using 1 and sometimes 2 120 gig mem cards. Thats why I had to shoot with time laps as this uses up a lot less data.
G.

Wow, thanks, lots to think about now Gary!

It's the time in the box between uses that's put me off up to now TBH, and it might stop me getting one altogether.

I've got a Sony mini 1080p wifi camera but the wifi range is limited, so I don't think it would be suitable to use with a camera-less drone. The integrated units must be easier to operate, even though it sounds you found it difficult.

More research needed methinks, it's not only a matter of price, it seems.

Thanks Gary...

Flying it was a dream, you will see more in future videos. It was just the FollowMe feature was a ball ache to make work.

If you do get one make sure you get one with GPS. It helps to make it a lot easier to fly.

G.

Wow, thanks, lots to think about now Gary!

It's the time in the box between uses that's put me off up to now TBH, and it might stop me getting one altogether.

I've got a Sony mini 1080p wifi camera but the wifi range is limited, so I don't think it would be suitable to use with a camera-less drone. The integrated units must be easier to operate, even though it sounds you found it difficult.

More research needed methinks, it's not only a matter of price, it seems.

Thanks Gary...
Couldnt the kids use it when its in its hanger? Or would that be akin to kamicaze?

Couldnt the kids use it when its in its hanger? Or would that be akin to kamicaze?

One of the other problems is in the UK there are massive areas where you just cant fly a drone. Eg all of the Salisbury area is off limits

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Too many muppets flying them around airports eh?

Although i think the drone would come off worse over Salisbury plane...

Theres also rules like can't fly within 50m of people and houses and other people's propperty etc. In some areas like London the flying ceiling is 50m - which isn't very high either.

Suspect in you neck of the woods this might not be much of a problem, but near here and into Kent finding 50m of space away from people is hard! And all public parks have a no drone policy.

Lots of space in Scotland though!

Theres also rules like can't fly within 50m of people and houses and other people's propperty etc. In some areas like London the flying ceiling is 50m - which isn't very high either.

Suspect in you neck of the woods this might not be much of a problem, but near here and into Kent finding 50m of space away from people is hard! And all public parks have a no drone policy.

Lots of space in Scotland though!

Yep, around my place is more like the Pyrenees than London, so no probs there. I'm also concerned about obstacles, power lines and trees and such. I've heard some drones have avoidance systems on board, but I guess they're high-end.

I'll keep browsing....

Nice vid again Gary, lovely campsite too, every thing looks clean, spic-and-span... :thumbup:

Nice videos Gary, moved down to the south end of the Pyrenees last summer but haven't ventured too far north yet. Your videos might push me to make the trip a bit sooner!

Thanks for the compliment.

Where about are you based?

G.

French side, near a little town called Ceret. It's lovely, but not quite as dramatic scenery as further north!

When the baby's a bit older I'm sure there'll be a few camping trips up that way...

Great video footage, has anyone got any of the tracks saved, would love to do some of them next year. Also we want to take our dog on our trip would this be a problem?

Great video footage, has anyone got any of the tracks saved, would love to do some of them next year. Also we want to take our dog on our trip would this be a problem?
Mrs wont go anywhere without her dog. Youll need doggy passport and iirc has jabs before going away and when leaving the country you have been staying in. You cant take a dog to iceland, well you can, but needs to be in quarantine for six months...

Mrs wont go anywhere without her dog. Youll need doggy passport and iirc has jabs before going away and when leaving the country you have been staying in. You cant take a dog to iceland, well you can, but needs to be in quarantine for six months...
Thanks
But I meant more so the Pyreneese and doing the tracks,are they in national parks, and do they get emotional if you take a dog

Back