Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Radius Arm Bushes

Compact3

Having a 80 series which has been lifted and need to replace the Radius Arm Bushes, is there a way of measuring how much the lift actually is as that would determine whether it needs castor correcting bushes or not. As I understand it, 2" or less you can use the standard bushes, more than 2"you should fit castor correcting. If the castor correcting ones are required is there a place to go for them which don't charge the earth?

Many Thanks

It's not a case of if you lift more than 2" you should. If you lift more than 2" you might want to. It depends how it drives.

I have heard various reports about CCbushes. Do some reading around. Anything around 2-3" doesn't really need CC plates, but you can do a simple grind and weld if you like and that works a treat. If you can weld, you're laughing. It's pence to fix.

Chris

Thanks for that Chris, the only thing I am unsure of is how much lift was applied before I bought the vehicle which was 6 years ago, the seller who was a young girl, thought it was 2" but the local garage seems to think it is more, is there a way of telling reasonably accurately. The difference between cc bushes and cc plates is? No I don't weld
John

Someone stop me. There's a joke in there somewhere. Young girl thought it was two inches but the bloke selling it was convinced it was six? No? Only me then.

Right

CC bushes are a bit of a cheat. They just have an off set hole in the middle. CC Plate actually give you new holes in effect and keep the old bushes. In case of extreme off road the hole, not being central doesn't act in the same was as it would normally POSSIBLY placing strain on the arms leading to cracking. Old wives tales maybe but there does seem to be some evidence. If it drives fine and the steering isn't light then leave it alone. Stand at the drivers side and look at the angle the the prop makes to the front diff. It it's all pretty straight then your axle is in a happy place. If there is a bit of an angle at the joint then maybe it's been lifted a couple of inches. If there is a proper angle to it at the UJ then it's been lifted a lot.

Learn to weld. It's a life saver

Chris

Standard height, measured from the centre of the wheel to the underside of the flare, should be 515mm front and 540mm rear.

Thanks Jon, I rushed out and measured the height and the figures were 525 at the front and 580 at the back without the spare on. Does that mean I can get away with standard bushes although CC are currently fitted but falling apart. Regarding the unintentional joke that Chris spotted he should remember that "to the pure all is pure"

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That should have read 550 at the front not 525mm, that would seem to suggest less that a two inch lift at the front

Wrong approach...dont try this calculating thing, just take the truck to a proper tire center and get their full report. This will tell you what your caster angle is, compare this to the manual and then you know. As was already said generally upto 2-3" lift doesn't alter the caster angle enough to affect anything. Personally if the car handles fine and the steering feels fine just replace the bushes with the same. Trying to work out the lift that was originally installed on 6 year old suspension isn't gonna be accurate anyway.

Mark.

Back