Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Romania 2015

It's been like that at home Clive. Until recently we've had very little rain, the winter was pretty dry too so there's not been much since last year down south. Same cracks you could put your hand in but not been so warm.

Here in Austria it was 34c in Salzburg on Friday. We had rain and an excuse for a thunder storm on Friday evening for about 20 minutes. Poured hard in the night Friday and last night. Much cooler at a forecast 17c today! [emoji4]

Last edited:
Maybe the ferry sank, or they forgot their cameras, or they dont actually like us......

Anyone got anything to post whilst we wait?

Here's some piccies of Austria to tide you over…

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439728293.632380.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439728448.086035.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439728474.381976.jpg
Loved this 'anti dog fouling' sign.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439728531.859710.jpg
For some reason this festival entailed bringing a couple of old tractors for the kids to sit on.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439728784.364219.jpg

Last is the machine they use to clear snow and do all sorts of things with different attachments. It takes wide tracks in the winter but they weren't fitted for the summer. It was at the half way mark up the mountain under the cable car station.

Last edited:
Today Lynn and I decided to hire these things. It seemed like it might be a laugh. They only have one wheel drive (imagine!) and only two of them at that. They seem to be called 'bicycles'. Well, Lynn started out by taking hers for a walk.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439730040.180802.jpg
They supply a funny hat for you to wear, must be traditional, (most things in Austria are 'traditional'). Well imagine my surprise when we discover you were meant to sit on the thing!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439730124.165397.jpg

The ventilation system's pretty efficient but they have no engine, which is a bit of a downside, and you have to supply your own to turn these things called pedals to make it go. Brakes are a bit sharp and can catch you out if you use the wrong one.

Lynn decided it was best not to use it too much and took it for another walk. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439730331.950688.jpg

Gotta go, looks like rain and these things are all sun roof!!

[emoji6]

Last edited:
Turns out these things have plenty of gears, plus Hi and Lo ratio but no diff lock.…in fact, no diff!!
Suspension is pretty simple, though Lynn's might need some attention as she still seems to need to walk it up hills, bridges and anything other than a shallow incline.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439733822.441597.jpg

I don't know if they'd take a lift, or even if Iron Man would do one?? Other people's seem to go up hills just fine so I guess they've done some mods to theirs.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The lanes round here are pretty easy.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439736206.046331.jpg
Still, after starting another one, Lynn seemed to indicate something was wrong as she ground to a halt and couldn't get started again. So in the spirit of Top Gear, I left her sitting on the bench and went on by myself. I couldn't find a green oval on the thing but it was exhibiting all the signs of having one.

I got into the swing of things and got some pretty good speed out of mine, but it wasn't long before my engine started to seize up and it also seemed to be low on fuel so I decided to turn back.

Last edited:
Torrential rain . We aint deen RR but he did stay in frankfurt last night and is heading for vienna tonight . We spent the night in Brussels and are now in germany heading direct for Romania planning to find a camp as when needed .

I could see the rain radar showing loads last night between Calais and here.

So c'mon, own up, which one brought it with them?

If you do happen to venture in this direction, there's a campsite up the road with campers and vans in it. The rain seems to miss us, well, mostly. Innsbruck seems to get it.

I'm assuming no news is good news... No free wi-fi in Europe, till you get to Romania... maybe. :lol:

Scratch that, somehow missed the last page :icon-rolleyes:

Glad you're ok, even if a little damp. Are you and Chas in convoy Shayne, or are you and Helen alone...?

Last edited:
Took another run along one of the offroad routes on offer, today.

View attachment 20679

View attachment 20680

Dry and dusty, but a pleasant cool 24C at about 1200m

View attachment 20681

View attachment 20682

The one on the right is ours, we borrowed the other two for the weekend...

View attachment 20683

View attachment 20684

This track ends at the top of a ski slope. I didn't fancy the road down through the forest, so I took to the piste...

View attachment 20685

It never looks steep in photos, but I ended up in low 1st and all locked up, braking was a waste of time, the wheels just locked up and slid under gravity :wtf:

View attachment 20686

View attachment 20688

Sorry, my phone mount is at a bit of a squint...

View attachment 20689

TBH, a bit too loose underfoot for my liking. Good job it wasn't wet. Quite relieved to get down to the bottom if the truth is known.

View attachment 20687

Then it was an hour of weekend traffic queues back to base :icon-rolleyes: but an enjoyable little spin and BBQ to follow.

Last edited:
About 2 hours ago Mike was at campsite in Austria.

Chas and ram are with us enjoying ourselves regardless tho Helens fed up cleaning up after us all sitting in her house drinking beer . Only Helen van get internet and its patchy at best

Sorry guys but been busy driving
Please note Peter AUSTRIA is after GERMANY unless you have the map upside down

Made some new friends from the Holland over a beer
Should be at the next campsite just inside Romania tonight

Oh its still raining
I remember someone saying way back in this thread that it was going to hot in August to do this trip

Chas and ram are with us enjoying ourselves regardless tho Helens fed up cleaning up after us all sitting in her house drinking beer . Only Helen van get internet and its patchy at best

Oooops, can't upset the lady of the house Shayne.... :eusa-naughty: Take it easy guys, there's a long way to go yet...

We are now in Hungary and we just saw Tesco shop we are back home already

Wow RR, you seem to have pushed on apace!

It's good to hear from you, it seems that Shayne, Ram and Chas are languishing in Germany somewhere, enjoying the sunshine...:whistle:

I don't know what time you expect to get to the border with Romania, but there's probably a good 10 hours by my guessing from there to my place.

Let us know your progress as you can, across Hungary... :thumbup:

Will do
Both me and Wayne can drive plus we eat outa of the Landrover so far, so layby stops only, we have enough fuel with us to get to u

Last edited:
Back