Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Romania - Clive's House and Excursions

wow! nice job! Love those flat stones. We are going to have to come over for a nosey one day ;)

6DBD7C1F-C956-49E7-8B69-7C81125ED4BF.jpeg
6DBD7C1F-C956-49E7-8B69-7C81125ED4BF.jpeg
DFB73AE8-8492-493E-9F02-BF881EDDE2D7.jpeg
wow! nice job! Love those flat stones. We are going to have to come over for a nosey one day ;)
Clive,I agree about not having too much concrete.Because of our changeable
Weather,no way did I want concrete on our parking,manouverable area but used 3/4 clean metal chip as being porous it doesn’t pond or rush down drains
And cause washouts etc.it’s about a 1/3 acre on top of a hill and with my experience in roading,luckily knew how to do it

Oh yes please Steve, we’d be very pleased to have you pass by.

There’s @Chas and @Josh Tagg coming around 20th August for a week, but I suppose youll be at the height of your grass cutting and pool maintenance then.

Anyhoo, you’re welcome any time, just give us the heads up Steve...

:thumbup:

View attachment 145737 View attachment 145737 View attachment 145736
Clive,I agree about not having too much concrete.Because of our changeable
Weather,no way did I want concrete on our parking,manouverable area but used 3/4 clean metal chip as being porous it doesn’t pond or rush down drains
And cause washouts etc.it’s about a 1/3 acre on top of a hill and with my experience in roading,luckily knew how to do it

Nice one Pat, you do need to know what you’re doing with that stuff too, otherwise the first storm and its gone :lol: :thumbup:

We did consider cobble stones, real ones, that they seem to be taking up in some of the surrounding villages. They would work well bedded in on top of a buried 6” thick concrete slab...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Looks great Clive and that patch of mud will come in real handy for parking so i vote you keep it :D

Oh and about the Portal axles they were about £9000 for an 80 from these guys when i asked a couple of years ago http://www.lvboverland.co.uk/tibus-portals/4593873706
Looks great Clive and that patch of mud will come in real handy for parking so i vote you keep it :D

Oh and about the Portal axles they were about £9000 for an 80 from these guys when i asked a couple of years ago http://www.lvboverland.co.uk/tibus-portals/4593873706

Oh Mama, dont tempt me Shayne.

No way can the price of these be justified for me as a mere mortal, but they’re so impressive :drool: :thumbup:

Oh Mama, dont tempt me Shayne.

No way can the price of these be justified for me as a mere mortal, but they’re so impressive :drool: :thumbup:
I’m guessing Shayne was referring to his method of entry and turning in your garden Clive. But I’m with you on the Routemasters. What a great British icon now very wrongfully sold off. Thankfully many have found other uses now. Such clever design.

Or was it the portal axles you were tempted by…

Tree
Barking
Wrong?

I’m guessing Shayne was referring to his method of entry and turning in your garden Clive. But I’m with you on the Routemasters. What a great British icon now very wrongfully sold off. Thankfully many have found other uses now. Such clever design.

Or was it the portal axles you were tempted by…

Tree
Barking
Wrong?

Well, I’ve always been impressed by the handling of those old busses, but really the tempting aspect was the portals.

It’s a warm day today with heavy occasional thunder showers. The mud bath is now “stable” but it will be a very slippery exit through the gate tonight :lol:

For those who don’t know, the gate is hiding behind the tree foliage... and its downhill all the way :lol:

D7CD43FE-73BC-494D-9719-B6D782880D62.jpeg

1A8BD024-8D63-4E62-97C9-2A54ACBB23E2.jpeg

Well, I’ve always been impressed by the handling of those old busses, but really the tempting aspect was the portals.

It’s a warm day today with heavy occasional thunder showers. The mud bath is now “stable” but it will be a very slippery exit through the gate tonight :lol:

For those who don’t know, the gate is hiding behind the tree foliage... and its downhill all the way :lol:

View attachment 145746

View attachment 145745
Well just make sure someone videos it from the balcony then, Mr Clive ‘McRae’ Horridge.
:lol:

The patio bit and the pathwork are almost done now, even the steps up to the main door (last 2 pics) are looking tidy, for the first time ever.

454758BC-A050-4512-B494-4D21CD35734C.jpeg
A09E6C9A-9385-4867-8001-B46482D8A1FC.jpeg
D238EF54-1BD0-4C4A-983A-CDE20B4C28FD.jpeg
91B5E087-BCD4-41FE-A312-EAE331A81CDF.jpeg
12D4455E-F5A7-4A5D-8C0C-7EEE3F7DA3C6.jpeg
871E1FBC-8C7B-42A2-8B84-8AD36DEEA66E.jpeg
CACC26AC-B391-4EF5-9109-BBD198F03B8B.jpeg
BA2109BC-A4C0-4B8C-A8BC-3ABAFF8A4A13.jpeg

A bit more pointing on this lot and they can move on to do around the extension foundation walls and walkway...

Never ending...

Looks awesome there Clive great job.....thats changed the whole look of the place. :thumbup:

Looks awesome there Clive great job.....thats changed the whole look of the place. :thumbup:

It has too Dervis. That wasn’t really the intention, but it needed doing, so may as well do it all while we’re in a mess.

Must say, we’re very pleased with it.

Maybe after the winter I’ll think differently, hope not.

The guy showed us other work done by him in the same way, and that had weathered 4 winters and was still intact. Fingers crossed...

Looking good there Clive. That’s an awful lot of pointing and so important to get right. As you say the winter would tell if any water gets in and freezes but it looks like you’ve found a cracking team there. :clap:

Looking good there Clive. That’s an awful lot of pointing and so important to get right. As you say the winter would tell if any water gets in and freezes but it looks like you’ve found a cracking team there. :clap:

A bit less of the “cracking” if you please, Rich! :lol:

We’re still on the beach this morning, but soon to be on our way back to Bucharest. We drop Ana off for her next holiday on a pseudo “survival” course organized by the youth army, it’s a kinda “scouting” type group, so it should be fun for her cooking on an open fire and such-like. They don’t allow any phones/iPads or other devices, so she’ll come home with withdrawal symptoms!

We’ll pop up to the house for Sunday and pay the next installment on the guy’s work and inspect it!

Sounds great for Ana. Hope she loves it and comes home exhausted. :)

Sounds great for Ana. Hope she loves it and comes home exhausted. :)

Maybe damp, we’ve just been promised a week of storms, the first 3 days with thunderstorms promising 50mm of rain each day.

Bless ‘em.... :lol:

Maybe damp, we’ve just been promised a week of storms, the first 3 days with thunderstorms promising 50mm of rain each day.

Bless ‘em.... :lol:
Crikey! Damp? I think ‘drowned rat’ may be more appropriate. Still I believe it’s character building.
And if she can get a camp fire going in that lot she’ll be able to get one going anywhere. :lol:

Rather disappointed that the building programme has been set back this weekend, when it's very close to being finished...

Storm on Sunday, much more traumatic than the video shows...

Last edited:
Back