Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Slow forums

It’s strange some are having difficulty with iPads, I’m iPhone 7 and a range of 3 iPads and it’s fast on all devices, including my laptop Windows 10 on regular gluegun and chrome.

all good...

Do you notice any difference between browsing the forum logged in and logged out Clive?

Iv never logged out since iv been a member, I just put the site in Bookmarks and click on when i want to view the site, No logging in or out, Its just there ready to go, Super Fast Towpack.....Not rubbing it in, i feel sorry for the guys having Trouble, Like iv said before its weird how some are slow and others Fast..:think:

The time is not far off where I will be leaving this site, I just don't have the time or patience anymore, every time I click on something or refresh, it will take an age to get there, if it gets there at all, it defaults to 'Forum List' 90% of the time and then I have to go through the whole process again and hope it goes right, it is VERY frustrating. I also have to highlight and copy in case what I have typed disappears when it finally goes back to where I started, I've tried all the suggestions from other members but nothing has improved.
This is not a criticism, I'm sure Crispin would do something if he could find what the problem is. I'm just running out of patience.

Chas, it might be worth doing a screenshare with Crispin via Zoom or similar, so he can see what is going on, and can dive into your browser a bit more to find settings etc that might be causing problems. Sometimes it's hard to explain things that need fixing without seeing things in person - we often end up doing this at work to fix things that are all over the world (and working with scientists doesn't always mean they can use a computer...)

Another couple of thoughts
1) Try opening an Icognito window (if you use Chrome) or a Private Window (Firefox) and then going to the website, log in and see how it goes then. Not sure if this has been suggested yet or not.

2) The other one is a bit more complicated, and is to open the browser in a safe mode which will remove any plugins (temporarily):
FireFox: Troubleshoot extensions, themes and hardware acceleration issues to solve common Firefox problems | Firefox Help - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

However, I do agree that the ads are slowing the website - but you've paid a subscription Chas, so that shouldn't be a drama. I've just tried a few pages in Chrome (a browser I don't use) with and without Ublock Origin and with Ublock Origin it loaded much quicker.

Hope all of that helps,

Ed

Chas, it might be worth doing a screenshare with Crispin via Zoom or similar, so he can see what is going on, and can dive into your browser a bit more to find settings etc that might be causing problems. Sometimes it's hard to explain things that need fixing without seeing things in person - we often end up doing this at work to fix things that are all over the world (and working with scientists doesn't always mean they can use a computer...)

Another couple of thoughts
1) Try opening an Icognito window (if you use Chrome) or a Private Window (Firefox) and then going to the website, log in and see how it goes then. Not sure if this has been suggested yet or not.

2) The other one is a bit more complicated, and is to open the browser in a safe mode which will remove any plugins (temporarily):
FireFox: Troubleshoot extensions, themes and hardware acceleration issues to solve common Firefox problems | Firefox Help - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

However, I do agree that the ads are slowing the website - but you've paid a subscription Chas, so that shouldn't be a drama. I've just tried a few pages in Chrome (a browser I don't use) with and without Ublock Origin and with Ublock Origin it loaded much quicker.

Hope all of that helps,

Ed
Well you lost me at 'screenshare with Crispin via Zoom' no idea how to do that and what is an icognito window? I've loaded the Ublock Origin but that doesn't seem to make any difference. How do I open a browserin safe mode, you can probably tell from this I'm not very tech savvy

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Still with you there Chas. Just logged back in after several days logged out away from it, cos I'm sick of it too.
Dunno what those 'adjustments' Crispin was doing, or whose accounts it was, but it sure as hell wasnt any of us still complaining. No word from Crispin.

Mine as been performing just like normal with no issues at all

Lots of blank pages and “server stopped responding“ errors tonight, again.

I used to like the old system and followed the posts of most of the folks but at 83 it’s a mission to find posts from the likes of
Clive,Chas,Dusty from Aussie,Murphy and other old timers and therefore I guess we are missing out on many interesting
yarns.Change for the sake of change doesn’t suit the older generation.Sorry Crispin but that’s how I see it.Pat from NZ

The time is not far off where I will be leaving this site, I just don't have the time or patience anymore, every time I click on something or refresh, it will take an age to get there, if it gets there at all, it defaults to 'Forum List' 90% of the time and then I have to go through the whole process again and hope it goes right, it is VERY frustrating. I also have to highlight and copy in case what I have typed disappears when it finally goes back to where I started, I've tried all the suggestions from other members but nothing has improved.
This is not a criticism, I'm sure Crispin would do something if he could find what the problem is. I'm just running out of patience.
I agree with you Chas,I don’t even know where to log into put my password in.I’m off to bed now it is 9-30 pm here I’ll try again over the weekend.Pat.

I used to like the old system and followed the posts of most of the folks but at 83 it’s a mission to find posts from the likes of
Clive,Chas,Dusty from Aussie,Murphy and other old timers and therefore I guess we are missing out on many interesting
yarns.Change for the sake of change doesn’t suit the older generation.Sorry Crispin but that’s how I see it.Pat from NZ
I don't think it's an age thing Pat I would find it just as frustrating if I was 17 rather than 77. I much preferred the old system to, so you are not alone there.

Just signed in after weeks on the sidelines, cos I cant be arsed any more till things improve. Same old same. No improvements whatsoever to a long running saga. It's been very quiet from the management, and no responses of late to the situation and continued complaints from members, despite Crispin saying he was going to make 'adjustments' to some accounts, and let him know if things changed. We have, and nothings changed. Looking at it from the some accounts being adjusted angle, is there anyone who previously had this situation and now has fast i.e. normal service ? Honestly please, no B.S. As things stand, with the silence and no improvement, it looks like we are being told to 'lump it' as Chas put it, early on.

I can only say how mine operates, I log in at least once every day using my iPad, work desktop & home lap top & can not ever recall having any of the issues mentioned at all on the ‘old’ & ’new, sites’.
i use a wired connection, WiFi & mobile data, none seem a problem.
ive been a member since the beginning & the site was changed years ago to this ones predecessor, any change takes a bit of getting used to, but I have no complaints about this one other than having a few hundred blank. / not found conversations in my mailbox!

well done Crispin I say!

Andy

Still no improvement, can we have another upgrade? because anything will be better than what we've got now!!

Personally I don't have any issues at all, but that doesn't mean that this isn't being taken seriously. The inconvenience that it causes to a very small number of members is not underestimated. However, because it's a very small number - it can't be something in the upgrade that is common to everyone, in other words it's a very individual problem to some people. Tracking down the source of that can't be easy - like an intermittent fault with your Toyota. If it was a Landrover, we'd all have the problem and know how to fix it.

There is only one person who can fix it and he knows. But in the last conversation I had with him he was no further forward in finding why these few have a problem. Now I am sure he could post every night

Mon not found it
Tues not found it
Wed not found it
Thur not found it

But come on, it's hardly realistic is it. To my way of thinking if something was working, it gets changed and still works for almost everyone, then there is something very particular that is going on for that minority and you have to face the fact that it may well be something at YOUR end. You can say well all my other things work fine, but the web is never that simple is it. It not working for a few people after the changes is not proof positive that the problem lies at the forum end of things. It may well be part of both ends of course and something thrown up due to the change but not by the change if that makes sense.

I apprpeciate that this doesn't solve the issue, but if we knew what it was you kinda know it would have been fixed!

Sorry chaps but that's the simply reality. We hear you, we understand but we can't suddenly know what we don't know. I wish I knew more about websites and such to have a go myself, but I am merely a mod, not an admin guru. Have you switched it off and back on again.........

Bear with.

Well one of the problems I encounter is that 90% of the time when I click on something it doesn't go there but usually defaults to 'Forum list' and another thing is often I get an'Oops something's gone wrong try again' message. If there is something wrong at my end as you suggest Chris I would only be too glad to have it pointed out so I could rectify it, but as you also mentioned this is the ONLY site I get problems with, FaceBook, eBay you name it all OK.

It's not easy to track down an issue like this. There can be a million reasons why it affects only a small percentage of users while the rest has no issues, it might also be that some users don't even see it as an issue.
To give an example, even big tech companies have problems with their sites, today I wanted to check something on the red hat portal, it's one of the biggest Linux distributions out there and I couldn't because the website kept wanting me to login over and over again. I hope they will sort it out soon.
It has nothing bearing on this problem, it's just an example of things going wrong, however it could very well be something on my end causing the problem today.

IMO it's obviously an icompatability problem, incompatable with something in the effected user's PC, browser, antivirus, firewall etc but what exactly? That's the difficult bit. When I log into my online banking website, very occasionally I get a blank screen and have to start over. It can happen 2 or 3 times on the trot, then nothing for weeks. The bank's inet banking helpdesk know it's a problem only affecting MAC users and they're working on it.

Back