Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Snow Watch

I'd planned on a lanning trip this weekend but time got the better of me last week sorting the truck. Decided on a camp due to the safety of the dogs really as its not fair for them to be thrown around with it just being an emtpty space.

Holly, err I probably wouldn't say enjoyed it. She came though so fair play to her. She always has the option to stay at home but it's always nice to spend a little time with each other.
Well done to Holly then! As you say she could’ve stayed home so good for her. Lynn would almost certainly have stayed behind but then we don’t have two dogs to keep us warm.

What was the verdict with the new pop top then? Perhaps a reply for your project thread.

Last edited:
I am pretty glad I made the right choice to go.

Been a nice day with log burner and red wine.....

Need to empty the trailer soon.

I was very surprised how crap the 80 was with a trailer on the back once the tyres were full of MUD.

So, I've just had a look at mine and it's the same situation. Heater unit on the pump and connected but no heater relay. Diesel freezing and gelling in tanks and lines was a problem years ago but don't they put some sort of additive in these days which protects down to levels way below what we will ever get? I heard that adding paraffin was a fix in the old days but not strictly legal, probably for fuel duty reasons more than anything else. Not sure it'd be any good for the IP either.
Winter diesel in the uk is apparently protected down to minus 15.
Reading through my unimog drivers hand book it advises below minus 18 to add 20% petrol, this protects down to minus 30.
Ive read the waxing starts in the fuel filter as this is the most restricted space, hence the location of the fuel heater i presume..

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Oh me and 12 of the boys were supposed to be doing paint ball today. Most of us were looking forward to the winter warfare conditions but got a call at 8 am from the organisers saying the other team couldn't make it..:thumbdown:
had some fun drift bustin Instead, followed by a good steak at the royal oak, hurdlow. Every cloud...
20180318_103833.jpg

Following on from a recent discussion on a thread on here somewhere regarding the use of the CDL in snow compared to an unlocked diff with a VC, I decided to have a little play around with some provoked slides round corners. A boot full with either setup gave a 4 wheel drift. Probably slightly more tail happy with the CD unlocked if I’m honest but no one can drive that way in such conditions and expect neutral handling. The very fact that the front wheels still lose traction with an unlocked CD proves the VC must be doing it’s job and is more than adequate for ‘normal’ on road Winter driving IMO.

So, after not wanting to "dig a hole" i was about to give birth after a 2 day gestation period.
Sorry about my potty mouth :)

Didn't you see that 1st tree coming? I was screaming at the video turn left turn left! a bit like in the horror movies only they are 'setup'

Didn't you see that 1st tree coming? I was screaming at the video turn left turn left! a bit like in the horror movies only they are 'setup'
I was stuck in the ruts. My front left never made it into the left rut so I was going diagonally

Following on from a recent discussion on a thread on here somewhere regarding the use of the CDL in snow compared to an unlocked diff with a VC, I decided to have a little play around with some provoked slides round corners. A boot full with either setup gave a 4 wheel drift. Probably slightly more tail happy with the CD unlocked if I’m honest but no one can drive that way in such conditions and expect neutral handling. The very fact that the front wheels still lose traction with an unlocked CD proves the VC must be doing it’s job and is more than adequate for ‘normal’ on road Winter driving IMO.

How hard did you have to push it towpack- I just found that mine caught me out a few times and I'm more sure now that it is more prone to it on right handers so I might have some bushing issues on the rear axle

Stuck in the Pyrenees because of the snow at Bristol, means we can't fly back till Thursday now.

20180314_105156.jpg

And the Enterprise Insignia is useless for crossing mountain passes!

IMG-20180317-WA0000.jpg

How hard did you have to push it towpack- I just found that mine caught me out a few times and I'm more sure now that it is more prone to it on right handers so I might have some bushing issues on the rear axle

In 7-8" of fresh snow, 2nd gear, harder than I expected but tyre choice will no doubt play a big part here. I have some barely worn BFG AT's on which have impressed me with their grip. On hard packed snow/ice a much lighter foot will lose grip but the minimal difference between locked and open diff is the same.

Reactions: Pat
In 7-8" of fresh snow, 2nd gear, harder than I expected but tyre choice will no doubt play a big part here. I have some barely worn BFG AT's on which have impressed me with their grip. On hard packed snow/ice a much lighter foot will lose grip but the minimal difference between locked and open diff is the same.
Hmm, I dont have a vc then or It doesnt work.Engaging the cdl when driving up a steep hard packed hill is night and day different. So much so that I spent a lot of yesterday with the cd locked.

High range and cdl locked. If you get stuck low range 4th gear and full throttle! Does the trick!:thumbup:

Sorry Towpack I'm a bit dim- what do you mean by minimsl difference between locked and oprn?

I think the vc is slow to repond and likes gradual power. However I would be curious to know the speed differential where it engages or is it designed to prevent shock loading of the drive train when going from slippery surfaces to full traction

Back