Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

To Winch or not to Winch

Dave Docwra

Hi Guys & Gals,

Would any one recommend purchasing one of the following winches as listed below?
if so which one would be best,

Goodwinch TDS Goldfish Low Profile Model
TDS-8.5 8500 lbs 4.6 HP 254:1 100’ Rope
TDS-9.5c 9500 lbs 5.0 HP 173:1 100’ Rope
TDS-12.0c 12000 lbs 6.0 HP 254:1 90’ Rope

It will only be used in an emergeny situation, no extreme off roading (yet),
The winch will be fitted to an Ironman bumper.

Thanks in advance Dave.

Dave, in order to prevent another forum punch up, I would suggest a little searching might be in order here. We have covered this in, well, let's just say some detail.

It wasn't long ago. I'm going to say that for your use, any of those would do. But someone will then say 'Ahh, in an emergency you need the biggest and baddest 'cos it's an emergency'. But the emergency might just be that you have put one tyre in a ditch and not buried the car up to it's roofline in sand.

I really do suggest that search as I can hear teeth grinding already and the sound of people rummaging through drawers looking for knuckle dusters.

Cheers

Chris

I think you should discount the 8.5 and flip a coin to decide between the other two :mrgreen:

I'd buy a nice big tirfor with a good long rope...

Gav Peter said:
Nooooooo still struggling with a sore back 2 months after that epic rescue... You want a winch in front, winch in the back, and one on each side :twisted: none of this manual labour lark :violin:

OP, sorry [strike:3f6q0bbq]can't[/strike:3f6q0bbq] won't attempt to answer your original question apart to say I have a TDS 9,5 and have found that sufficient for my needs :dance:

Wait - I'm going for my popcorn :angry-argument: :angry-cussingargument: :angry-boxing:

:laughing-rolling:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Chris said:
Dave, in order to prevent another forum punch up, I would suggest a little searching might be in order here. We have covered this in, well, let's just say some detail.

Chris, I done a search & narrowed down to the three I listed, since then I have been looking around & found Britpart offer two year guarantees on there equipment.

Gav Peter said:

Gav, that sounds like hard work :D

Gav Peter said:
Nooooooo still struggling with a sore back 2 months after that epic rescue... You want a winch in front, winch in the back, and one on each side none of this manual labour lark

Tony, if I was doing recovery work in the Welham Green area, I would have one on the roof also :whistle: Need to find a coin & decide :D

Tommo&Claire said:
Nooooo all you need is a highlift jack and some chain....

Tom, got that one covered :thumbup:

Gary Stockton said:
Wait - I'm going for my popcorn :angry-argument: :angry-cussingargument: :angry-boxing:

:laughing-rolling:

Gary, come back we need you.

pick 2 makes, put one on the front and one on the back, makes elimination a tad easier :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

TonyP said:
OP, sorry [strike:2rypklwj]can't[/strike:2rypklwj] won't attempt to answer your original question apart to say I have a TDS 9,5 and have found that sufficient for my needs :dance:

Ja, but not good enough for Crispin, hey??!!

:) :)

Back