Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Top Gear is the pits

BBC have killed another of their successful programmes, high time the license fee was scrapped and they were made commercial. TG was the only show I watched on the beeb everything else is better through the commercial channels now. We saw the same death of a programme with Have I Got News For You which just hasn't been the same since Angus Deatons departture.

Don't get me wrong Clarkson was in the worng over the scuffle however it panned out in reality.

Sometimes when your stuck between a rock and a hard place choosing a direction and burning the bridge behind you is the only way . BBC is obsolete anyway , its a bit like being with the wrong women , you know it won't work but shes dynamite in bed .......... so shag her sister and be done with it :lol:

Clarkson killed the program not the beeb. Viewing figures have dropped off this season so perhaps it's time for a change. Top Gear was a Top program years before Clarkson. I bet it will be another huge success.

Huff post had a good headline. "man punches colleague in face and is fired"

BBC have killed another of their successful programmes, high time the license fee was scrapped and they were made commercial. TG was the only show I watched on the beeb everything else is better through the commercial channels now. We saw the same death of a programme with Have I Got News For You which just hasn't been the same since Angus Deatons departture.

Don't get me wrong Clarkson was in the worng over the scuffle however it panned out in reality.

Notwithstanding all the "rights" and "wrongs" aired in this thread, with which I'm generally in agreement, please be careful what you wish for.

I appreciate that the commercial channels available in the UK are of good quality and may be considered as good as if not better than the beeb, here in Romania, there are only commercial channels, and they are all sh!te. All, and I don't know how many, maybe 60 available on our box, but not one of them is worth the electricity.

The only thing worth watching is the usual Discovery stuff and BBC repeats on certain channels, and of course the movie channels.

The problem is, there's nothing contemporary on TV here, the news is selected and usually contains nothing in terms of current affairs.

Please think twice before casting the beeb aside, encourage better value for money, or whatever other means to keep it running, once gone, it's gone forever.

Last edited:
Clarkson killed the program not the beeb. Viewing figures have dropped off this season so perhaps it's time for a change. Top Gear was a Top program years before Clarkson. I bet it will be another huge success.

I agree, JC is at fault for killing the program but not on Top Gear being a Top program before he came along. Apparently it was going downhill and the then presenters jumped ship to a commercial channel and made 5th Gear. Top gear was off the air for around 2 years until JC and a producer friend approached the Beeb with a new format for the program and it worked, big time. JC made it into the huge success it became. If the viewing figures have dropped off this season it's probably due to some of the daft challenges/articles they've had on it but that's JMO.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The beeb and the perverse legal requirement that funds them is obsolete and out dated, why should people who watch satellite or freeview channels be forced to finance a dinosaur of an organisation through the licence fee? a lot of income generated via this route is used by the beeb to finance activities and filming which are not broadcast but sold onto commercial channels.

TG and Clarkson have further financed the beeb through the income the franchise generates, in theory the programme could be financed without license fee input and still generate income for the BBC over the production costs

The fact remains that TG is the single most viewed motoring programme globally, not just in the UK but the entire planet, the programme is sold onto 200 territories worldwide and over 350million viewers. Each uk episode achieves over 5million viewers on broadcast and a futher 10million views on iplayer as a matter of routine

Love it or hate it the facts speak for themselves

Some say he likes his steak & chips a little to much, and that he once got into a fracas over a plate of cold meat,
All we know is .... he's got the sack.

Some say he likes his steak & chips a little to much, and that he once got into a fracas over a plate of cold meat,
All we know is .... he's got the sack.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Some things are more important than viewing figures and money and I'm glad the beeb stood up for it's rules. Clarkson would be most likely dropped for such behaviour by any other employer so blaming the beeb for their behaviour is a bit illogical.

Some lady commenting on the radio today said the producer was a whimp and should have hit him back. They would then both have got the sack so the producer came out on top.

"In a statement Mr Tymon's lawyer, Paul Daniels, said: "Mr Tymon has informed the police that he doesn't want to press charges."

You couldn't make it up could you? surely the producers lawyer is not the magician and ex BBC employee Paul Daniels :lol:

Clarkson's solicitor should have been Paul Daniels. He could have unpunched the producer.

I wouldn't be surprised if Messrs Clarkson, May, Hammond and Tymon (only in the background of course) work together on JC's next TV venture, whatever that maybe.

I'm expecting 2 new shows to arise from the ashes , both of which will be less entertaining than top gear . Nobody else can give Clarkeson an unlimited budget as every other channel has to work towards being profitable unlike the BBC who just tax everyone whether they tune in or not . And the BBC will replace Clarkeson & co with people who will be happily spend an hour telling us which car is best suited to wearing a ballgown , can fit knitting needles in the glove box , and is poodle friendly - all important stuff in the century BBC executives live in .

top gear1.jpg

top gear2.jpg

top gear3.jpg

Back