Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Top Gear is the pits

frank rabbets

Guru
I watched the 8th Feb 15 edition of Top Gear. It was one of the worst television programs I've ever seen and I started in 1953.

It was a bit poor, but to be expected by their recent standards. The week before was much better, with great camera work.

It has become a bit of a parody of itself in recent times. But they are capable of some fantastic filmmaking when they want. I think the challenges in essence are still a good idea, and have potential, but they are far too hung up on forcing them to be "funny" now. Putting ludicrously silly mods on the cars with a clear set up following a script.....Instead of being naturally funny like the 'cars for 17 year olds' or the sports cars for £1500, or even the electric car they built.

There's a certain demand for the 3 lads acting the clown, but it's funnier when it's actually them acting the clown, not following a poorly written action comedy screenplay. I still enjoy TG, just take it with a pinch of salt these days.

It doesn't help that they got that many complaints when they was free to say what they want,they had to script it for the few what can't take a joke.

A rapidly declining former car show. Pity.

Don't watch it then. I think Eastenders is crap, but I don't post about it. I just don't watch it. If you like William Woollard road testing the new Austin Princess then you're watching the wrong show. It's a Sunday night entertainment programme. I thought everyone knew that.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You just DID post about not watching Eastenders Chris :icon-biggrin:.

Top Gear used to be very good but now terrible.

well, I thought it was hilarious, I damn near pissed myself, best one they have done for ages, same with everyone at work who watched it. This series has been really good so far. I felt they lost their way a bit over the last couple of years but so far I have really enjoyed this series.

really, why watch it if it's not your cup of tea. Lifes's too short, why spend it in self flagellation.

Big Brother is shite, I'm a celebrity get me out of here is shite, lots of stuff on TV is shite, so don't watch it FFS and watch what you enjoy, or get a feckin Hobby!! (other than self flagellation!!)

Last edited:
This series so far has been the best for a while, will be watching next week for sure.

It used to be good until it became The Jeremy Clarkson Show.

It used to be good until it became The Jeremy Clarkson Show.

It's been the Clarkson show since New Top Gear Started, him and Andy Wilman designed the whole project! so did you prefer Chris Goffey et al!

It's been the Clarkson show since New Top Gear Started, him and Andy Wilman designed the whole project! so did you prefer Chris Goffey et al!
Right, sort of, it's now that Clarkson takes over, or maybe I just don't like him 'cos he's a smartarse.

Right, sort of, it's now that Clarkson takes over, or maybe I just don't like him 'cos he's a smartarse.

I would imagine he's pretty annoying in real life, although he did punch piers morgan so not all bad:thumbup:

Why did I watch it? Because I thought it was going to be good like most of the previous ones.

I will always wonder if I know his wife Frances , or more accurately , if , why or how she knows me ? . Every few years I bump into this lovely woman usually on the seafront in Peel Isle of Man who would be like hi Shayne where have you been , what are you up to , how's life treating you , and that kind of thing . Last time it happened was a year or two ago and shortly after I picked up a local paper to read about Clarkson's divorce and I could swear it was her in the pic ? I guess I will never know and its not important anyway but I will always be curious .

As for the show - its entertainment , a sketch show based on motoring and not meant to be anything else . Clarkson himself scoffed at being awarded best FACTUAL show at some British nonsense Oscars type ceremony a couple of years ago . I'd say its so popular because it is aimed at the irresponsible , immature , foolhardy little boy buried deep within even the most sombre , humourless , judgemental façade . It cracks me up that Americans hate him because they actually believe what he says :laughing-rolling:

well, I thought it was hilarious, I damn near pissed myself........

I missed the original broadcast and watched it on iPlayer last night - thought it was hilarious too............

Add: And what about Daniel Ricciardo? Wow - that boy can drive!!!

Watching TG to genuinely learn about cars is like watching Only Fools and Horses to learn about Sales and Marketing.

Anyone that watches TG and expects to be educated about cars is watching the wrong program. You're better off with Discovery channel's "How it's made: Dream cars" or even "Wheeler Dealers" and such like.

Last edited:
As moggy said it's The New Top Gear, the original Top Gear WAS a program to hear about the new things in the motoring world. Chris said earlier it's a Sunday night entertainment show, it's just that it's not very entertaining, to me anyway, sorry chaps but it's obviously aimed at people with less demanding standards for their entertainment

Whilst I find Sniff Petrol amusing (written by Andy Wilman et al) I don't find Top Gear as amusing; I more watch it out of habit... and one that I'm not in a rush to make sure I get the latest episode.

What is interesting is that the US Volvo site I use normally has a Top Gear thread when it's airing in the UK.... there isn't one this series... I think even they're losing interest in it.

I grew up watching Top Gear; I can remember being perhaps 9 or 10 and saying that it was my favourite show... and that was in the late 1980's/early 1990's; who else remembers Nick Mason doing the rallying, Someone else (Berry?) doing motorbikes and Chris Goffey describing in detail the intricacies of some rep-mobile...

Now? I still find Hammond and May interesting, and I think they're description of Clarkson as an uncouth oaf is often quite correct... Both the others have a much more in depth knowledge of the engineering behind things, but aren't allowed to explain it...

I grew up watching Top Gear; I can remember being perhaps 9 or 10 and saying that it was my favourite show... and that was in the late 1980's/early 1990's; who else remembers Nick Mason doing the rallying, Someone else (Berry?) doing motorbikes and Chris Goffey describing in detail the intricacies of some rep-mobile...

Now? I still find Hammond and May interesting, and I think they're description of Clarkson as an uncouth oaf is often quite correct... Both the others have a much more in depth knowledge of the engineering behind things, but aren't allowed to explain it...
Back in the 80's TG was my favourite as well, I don't remember Nick Mason but the biking chap was Steve Berry. I'm with you on the Hammond/May bit, I think it's probably Clarkson or maybe the producers who insist on Clarkson being centre stage most of the time.

I think Clarkson is seen as the "Ape", "Oaf" or "Orangutan" as he is often described by his 2 co-presenters and his TG on-screen persona has built on this over the years, to a point that he has almost become a caricature of himself.

I'm sure, if nothing else, he is a very astute guy that has cultivated that public persona to huge (financial) success. No one can deny that TG is one of the most successful TV programs ever and is a huge global hit, Clarkson's books always hit the best seller list and his newspaper columns (broadsheet and red-top) were/are also hugely popular.

So obviously he is a very clever orangutan!

Back