Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Top Gear is the pits

it is one of the most successful television franchises of all time, so they must be doing something right.

Bit of a snobby comment that Chas, just because it doesn't appeal to you doesn't make those that do enjoy it lesser people. I think some people just don't get it, some people get a bit a bit green because it's 3 blokes who make a lot of money and have a very nice job driving some very exotic machinery

Maybe it's just too intellectual for some:lol:

Oh well, finished watching the repeat on Dave now so it's back to the Tolstoy novels!

Last edited:
As Chris pointed out it's more entertainment rather than factual. If you want more factual there's Fifth Gear for that. The original rally presenter was Tony Mason, not Nick Mason (Pink Floyd). Must admit I found the 'challenge' on last Sunday's program a bit dafter than usual. Enjoyed some of the foreign cross country escapades though! JMO

As Chris pointed out it's entertainment rather than factual. If you want more factual there's Fifth Gear for that. The original rally presenter was Tony Mason, not Nick Mason (Pink Floyd). Must admit I found the 'challenge' on last Sunday's program a bit dafter than usual. Enjoyed some of the foreign cross country escapades though! JMO

I suppose I found it so funny because most of that stuff is what I have to do in my daily life, so watching someone else make such a fist of it was hilarious. Most of the people I have spoken to about it are also in the same line of work (emergency services) so I guess it will tend to appeal more, although the patients I have spoken to also found it very funny

Bit of a snobby comment that Chas, just because it doesn't appeal to you doesn't make those that do enjoy it lesser people. I think some people just don't get it, some people get a bit a bit green because it's 3 blokes who make a lot of money and have a very nice job driving some very exotic machinery

Maybe it's just too intellectual for some:lol:

Oh well, finished watching the repeat on Dave now so it's back to the Tolstoy novels!
It wasn't meant as snobby, I don't think fans of TG are lesser in any way it's just that I expect more than silly boyish stuff.

I don't begrudge their money making, good luck to them in that respect.

If only they would stick to exotic machines it would be better.

I quite like 'The star in a reasonably priced car' apart from some of the wallys they pick to drive.

Intellectual? you must be joking, hang on I see by the laughing smiley you were. :lol:

it is what it is, silly boyish stuff, not everyone's cup of tea I know, but I enjoy it and so do lots of others.

Horses for courses and all that:thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Moggy I found it 5% distasteful, 80% boring and 15% over egged. Clarkson exaggerates too much and has worn his character out. Top gear used to be a program about cars but it's now mostly about Clarkson. I can stand Clarkson as long as there are new cars to ponder over.

Other than I kept falling asleep during the BMW bits. Yawn. They just don't interest me. The Land Rover stunt was ridiculous. Merc was nice, SIARPC was good to have two people this week. News was really good and always nice to hear about the Austin Maestro.
I was hoping for a feature about customising ice cream vans.

Roll on next week.

Dragon's Den was terrible. Oh the worst yet. I just don't think it's what it was blah blah whinge etc :eusa-whistle:

Other than I kept falling asleep during the BMW bits. Yawn. They just don't interest me. The Land Rover stunt was ridiculous ...........

well, don't watch it then :lol:

Damn, never thought of that. Ha ha.

Just watched TG on my state of yesteryears art VHS recorder.

Brilliant LR stunt. Reminded me of my series1 LR which I reversed up a giant rock in Bristol's Avon gorge. The rock had " eat more fruit " on it. Very frightening and standing on the pedals.

My series one was up to it's chassis in earth and I paid £10 for it. 1955 car in 1965. No rust at all so a 6 month total strip and rebuild. Totally reliable. Drank tons of "Jet " petrol with free playing cards.

Ok, I'm gonna chime in...

What was the point of the so called Land Rover "stunt"

They could have installed a gimballed engine and a hydraulic winch to absolutely any vehicle; it would have had exactly the same result.

Where did the LR participate other than hang on the hawser??:confusion-shrug:

well, don't watch it then :lol:

Yep! that's just what I did. I bought one of those Irish recorders, it's great, it records the programs I don't want to watch and plays them back when I'm out.

If you recall the Frontera advert they did the same stunt but without a winch!

What does that say?

I was more surprised that he had nice comments about the beemers tbh.

I'll ad my two pence worth and say i don't think the hampster actually stayed in the car all the way up, camera trickery springs to mind.

enjoyed as always, but didn't have me falling of the sofa laughing like last week. will Smith and girlie were entertaining though.

I want 80% entertainment and 20% info but this week it was skewed the other way.

I watch top gear to be entertained. I'll never be able to afford the majority of stuff they feature or do the things they do so it is just entertainment for me. If I want fact I'll watch the news (hmmn, maybe not!!)

some people seem to have a rather odd idea that top gear is reality! It's entertainment FFS, whether it be winching a (rather nice) landrover up a dam or 3 mates driving through the desert in old bangers without acknowledging the vast army of support, directing and scripting that involves, IT'S NOT REAL LIFE FFS!!!

Last edited:
Back