Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

UK to South Africa through west coast of Africa

ignat

Garage
Country Flag
south_africa
Thought I'd put some pics here whenever I get the chance!

We are in Portugal now, will hopefully be heading into Morocco on Friday :thumbup:

Car is heavier than I would like so is sitting low at the back.

Headed to Dunkerque , then to Paris
IMG_0890.jpg

Camped at a site next to the river Seine.
IMG_0917.jpg

You might notice the 72 LED strip that a number of us bought. Its waterproof so thats our main camp lighting under the awning :dance: and hardly any power used :mrgreen:
IMG_0926.jpg

After Paris we hot-footed it to Switzerland.
IMG_1029.jpg

Camping near Zermatt
IMG_1051.jpg

IMG_1103.jpg

Need to return one day and climb the Matterhorn. :pray:
IMG_1085a.jpg

When crossing from Swiss to Italy, over the Simplon pass the temp needle was rising which forced us to pull over a few times :thumbdown: Not happy.

We are fairly heavily loaded but I should not have to accept peugot 407's with caravans in tow passing me! I'm sure there is some mud and dirt in the radiator which needs cleaning. That is on the agenda for tomorrow. oh and getting wheels aligned if possible.

Hi Kevin,
Is this the "real deal" are you on the way now to Cape Town?

I hope you can sort the cooling issues,
How heavy do you guess the total weight is?

G.

this was a sneeky leave :naughty: (or did I miss something? :think: )

Have a lekke trip and keep the photos coming :thumbup:
Hope you get the cooling issues sorted.

Hey Kev, great start to your trip - looking forward to your updates already dude :cool:

Bonne voyage

All the best with the trip, Kev :thumbup:
The 90 is looking a bit saggy at the back - are you going to keep going like that and see how it goes or ditch some of the heavier stuff as you? That gas cylinder looks quite heavy for starters :mrgreen:

Hope you get the rad cleaned soon and solve the heating issues. It looks like Morocco should be relatively cool and some rain over the weekend.

We're looking forward to updates on your progress! Shout if there's anything you need to be sent on to you.

Cheers,

Have a great trip Kev, keep the pics coming.

Radiator is a relatively easy job to do. I cleaned the one on my 90 not so long ago: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9284&p=61041&hilit=radiator#p61041

If you are careful when you drain the cooling fluid, you can re-use it. From memory there were 4 bolts to undo and two hoses, did not take me long at all.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Kev. Must feel great to finally be on the road :)

Have you thought about poly airbags for the saggy rear? Very easy to install yourself.

Work out what you really dont need & get rid, before you get into trouble, excess weight is NEVER a good thing.

My bet is after 1 week camping out you realise you dont need half of what you brought along ;)

Have fun

good to see another '90 on the road
nice pics - keep them and progress report coming!

Hope you have a good trip down to Cape Town. How long is your trip going to take?

Try to get some standard front 80 series springs for the back of yours, if you can.

They work really well on a loaded 90.

In Morocco now btw it's fantastic here :mrgreen:

1.jpg

Thanks chaps.

Got the radiator cleaned today. Cheers Tony for the link. Was quite a lot of mud in there :shock: . took some cleaning. will get a good test tomorrow to see if thats cured it. I'm sure it will though :)

We are fairly heavy but not crazy heavy. Yes, that gas bottle is a bit OTT :lol: when it runs out i'll get something smaller. got the bare minimum of tools, spares etc so I'm surprised its sagging. Been getting rid of as much as possible right now as I'd prefer to just be lighter than going for stronger springs. Ah that old precaution - get your suspension sorted AFTER you know what you're taking! Heard it before but did I listen ? :naughty:

Cheers Matt I'll keep an eye out for some 80 springs, that might do the trick :thumbup:

Was very hectic before leaving with the handover at work so was pressed for time at the end. :? ..so didnt load it up and see how it was .. Could have put some of the airbags at the back. If I can find some I will defo do that but doubt I will find any.

Its pissing down here in Portugal. :twisted: Bring on the African sun already! :cool:

BTW Boesman - we are going to take about 3 months. Not too long but not racing either ..

Will keep you all posted

cheers

Do you have Chris Scott's book?

If so

MS1 to Zagora is very nice and easy (ish)
MS3 Tazzarine to Oum Jrane then MS4 is also good although the last bit MS2 to Zagora is very rocky.

MS6 is very good but some very soft sand (first time I have had sand up the windscreen like water)

MH7 is not passable, spent a night at 8000ft with a very stuck LR to prove it :mrgreen:

MH1 is very nice from Imilchil to Dades

Have fun, I'm heading North Home now.

24Seven said:
Do you have Chris Scott's book?

If so

MS1 to Zagora is very nice and easy (ish)
MS3 Tazzarine to Oum Jrane then MS4 is also good although the last bit MS2 to Zagora is very rocky.

MS6 is very good but some very soft sand (first time I have had sand up the windscreen like water)

MH7 is not passable, spent a night at 8000ft with a very stuck LR to prove it :mrgreen:

MH1 is very nice from Imilchil to Dades

Have fun, I'm heading North Home now.

Excellent! Yes got that book. thats good to know, thanks :thumbup:

24Seven said:
Try to get some standard front 80 series springs for the back of yours, if you can.

They work really well on a loaded 90.

In Morocco now btw it's fantastic here :mrgreen:

1.jpg

That is an awesome pic :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

ignat said:
Could have put some of the airbags at the back. If I can find some I will defo do that but doubt I will find any.
Kev, shout if you want us to track down some airbags and courier/air-freight to you! I guess you'll be through Marrakech before we could get them to you, so you'd need to choose somewhere civilised further down the road and tell us where to send them :mrgreen:

Cheers,
A

Lekker ry, Kev - have a stonking time. Hope all goes well from here on out, and enjoy! Very envious!!

Cheers

Gary

Yes, have a great time. Don't hurry, enjoy every moment. :thumbup:

And don't forget posting some pictures, writing some thoughts ...
... few crumbs now and then at least. We, working monkeys here at home need some firewood for our dreams ...

Andrew Prince said:
ignat said:
Could have put some of the airbags at the back. If I can find some I will defo do that but doubt I will find any.
Kev, shout if you want us to track down some airbags and courier/air-freight to you! I guess you'll be through Marrakech before we could get them to you, so you'd need to choose somewhere civilised further down the road and tell us where to send them :mrgreen:

Cheers,
A
I know of a good garage in Zagora, that are very experienced at working on 4x4's if that's any help. They sometimes have a few suspension parts in stock, but I doubt they'd half the air spring assisters on the shelf. If you shipped to them, I'm sure they could install them for you.

Shout if you'd like me to dig out their location and contact details.

Cheers.

Drop into to some local 4x4 type workshops, you might find someone makes (yes they cast them in their workshops) some spring height adding spacer plates. They add an extra few inches to the spring height & work really well. Cheap & cheerful fix thats probably easy to source out there.

They look like this but in Africa they cast them in ally

spacerpic.jpg

Back