Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

UK to South Africa through west coast of Africa

Lekke Boerrie!!

I like the Springbok on the side!

Good luck - take it easy.

PLEASE SAVE THE GPS DETAILS OF DECENT CAMP SITES!!

We'll be following in your tire tracks in March 2012.

Met eishh ja - met eishh

:D :D :D

Hello - checking in from Dakar, Senegal.

Bit of an update. Did another route in Morocco, MS3 IIRC the one with the feche-feche. We did the route the other way round starting at Rissani.

Not before being reminded by the gendarme that "this isnt England" when I didnt fully stop at a checkpoint. Thanks for stating the bleeding obvious. :doh:

Anyway, some pics:
IMG_1392.JPG

T-Max in action
IMG_1408.jpg

When we got the the notorious sandy section, some local guy kept telling us NOT to proceed this way, he knew a better way which was more south. But that didnt make sense as that meant going through MORE soft stuff. Anyway I was letting the tyres down when a group of 6 - 7 fully kitted 4x4's were waiting impatiently for me to get out the way. They blasted past ... and promptly all got stuck. They then got out and let their tyres down and finally got moving.

Was amazed how capable the car was, tyres down to 1 bar, didnt get stuck once just kept on going no matter where i pointed it :clap: Was fun, could have spent ages playing there.

We overnighted in a oued.
IMG_1422.jpg

Absolute silence. Loved it.

Then we headed to Ouarzazate to meet up with Peter @ Bikershome. He kindly agreed to accept delivery of the airlift helpers. Top bloke.

Surprise, surprise, customs decided they were keeping them. :evil:

They didnt know what the hell these things were. We had to explain, then explain in writing, then repeat and repeat again. Easiest was to go to the DHL offices in Agidir and sort it out there. Top tip: Make sure the sender marks the value less than £50 if you ever need a part sent to Marocco, cause then it goes through no problem :shhh:

Got down to Maroc/Mauri border where it turned out I overstayed my visa by 2 days. Loved the look on the guys face, when he realised he had already stamped me out before realising i had overstayed :lol: Sucker!

This is where the requests for 'gifts' started. :naughty:

Went through the stretch of 'no man's land' with the landmines. Not so bad. Loads of very clearly defined tracks. There are guides there offering their services, but not required at all.

Must say some people were driving off piste to get some other vans unstuck :o

Some guys needed to borrow the waffle boards .

IMG_1511.JPG

IMG_1517.JPG

Spent some time in Nouadhibou and then Noukchott. Mauritania is really nice. Only had 1 cop demanding a bribe of 10 euro for an "infraction". Could not get him to tell us what it was, but he was really pissed. Eventually he decided it was because I didnt have a p/copy of my passport. We just laughed in his face, and he gave up. The rest of the Mauri cops were gents.

Had what I thought might be the beginning of a sandstorm, but didnt turn out to be bad, just got really dark and everything was red :) like an apocalypse :mrgreen:
IMG_1550.JPG

IMG_1552.jpg

After that we headed to cross into Senegal. Heard horror stories of Rosso crossing so obviously we went via Diama. First part of track is being graded, and is nice. Last part is really badly corrugated. When it rains it will be a nightmare, but as it was dry we could just drive next to the track where the water would be.

Entry into Senegal was fairly easy, no money was asked for. It was quite pleasant and over in half an hour. It was to be the calm before the storm , officialdom-wise :(

Seems we've had the worst of the Senegalese cops. Complete bastards. Want bribes, due to silly 'infractions' . Customs officers want bribes to stamp our Carnet. Ok, thanks, we'll be off to Mali then :naughty:

As usual, the regular folk are mostly cool, its their cops and government that ruin it for tourists. One cop in St Louis would be dealing with other things but when he would see us he would literally drop everything come running shouting for us to stop. Then he starts demanding money as we drove too fast/ too dangerously / didnt use indicator etc. Again he was so ridiculous we just laughed in his face until he let us go. Twice.

After a long day today trying to get people to do their jobs and stamp our carnet, and negotiating with countless people and everyone demanding a cut of the action I had had enough. Got to the car where the car minder demanded 100 000 CFA's (not even exaggerating) for looking after the car. I lost it. "You WHAT!? I MIGHT BE A WHITE TOURIST BUT IM NOT F****ING STUPID! F*** OFF!!" I never lose it in public but today was something else.

/rant

One way we've been avoiding the cops, is driving behind a truck or bus, really closely when we see them up ahead. Oooops, sorry officer I didnt see you! :shhh: :lol:

All part of the fun, eh? :lol: :lol: :lol:

So hopefully we will get into Mali tomorrow and then will update again when we can. Airbags are in, car is leaking slightly from front diff area and the ol' transfer case leak too. but not s much that it needs much to keep it topped up. Oh and alignment is out but the last place couldnt fix it they reckoned they couldnt budge anything. Other than that the car is cruising nicely. Fridge running well keeping the beer & watermelon ice cold.

cheers...

Great write up Kevin,
Great inspiration for us couch potatoes.
So the bribes are really as bad as that eh,
Just the same as many african countries.
See your white face, and then it';s trhe "Bank of Kevin".
They must think some one give you the money for free, and you didn't have to earn it.
Just tell them to Foxtrot Oscar. :thumbup:

Graham

Thanks for the update Kev - nice to hear from you & glad the beer is keeping cold :cool:

Trip looks fabulous :mrgreen:

Looking forward to the next update already :cool:

Cheers

Nice one Kev. Interesting about the bribes. Good that you stood your ground, must be lots of travellers who don't and therefore propargate this issue....

Nice one Kev!

Not sure if I would have the balls to laugh in the face of the cops. :shifty:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well, we finally made it into Mali...

We stayed at an auberge in Dakar. Had some good food there, but had to eat mostly in the dark as the power kept cutting out. Still, we had a comfortable bed to look forward to... except the rooms were right next to a bar. Arguments and loud revelry kept us awake most of the night .

Normally I'd be the one making the noise but we were exhausted.

It would be about 600km's to the Senegal/Mali border, which shouldnt take that long we thought. But the roads are really really bad. We are learning quickly, to underestimate times. Potholes everywhere. Seems to be a major trucking route from Dakar to Bamako, and there are broken down trucks every few km's. The heat is upper 40's mostly. Poor bastards working on the trucks in that heat have my sympathy.

The cruiser just glides over the potholes. :mrgreen:

Stopped to make some tea.

IMG_1590.JPG

Kept on going but realised we wouldnt make it to the border that day. Found a campement that was shut for the season, but the caretaker - 'Ali G' - let us camp anyway. He cooked for us and was really cool.

They even had a pool, which we desperately needed as it was nearly 50 degrees :o :
IMG_1591.JPG

:doh:

I was feeling quite ill from the heat actually, possible heat exhaustion.

At 6am it was already too hot to sleep anymore and so we headed off to the border.

The Senegal/Mali border is chaotic. We were back and forth between police checkpoints and customs. Again, nobody seemed to know what to do with the flipping carnet. This document is supposedly 'essential' for travel in most countries, and without it you are supposed to forget about travelling to Senegal.

Well nobody knows what to do with it. I'm certain you can get through without one. Customs officers look at it like early man first seeing fire. :evil:

This was the least of our headaches though. . .

We had been stamped 'out' of Senegal, but the LC was not yet cleared through customs I went back to the car and jumped in to drive to the checkpoint. Put in the key, turned ... nothing. Just a click. Lights were on, so the battery connection was fine..

Turned the key again and just 'click' . Oh no.. in a dusty outpost in searing heat, sick as a dog, and now this :evil: - a failed starter motor...

Oh Kevin, what a ball ache,

I just hope them "bastards fixing the trucks on the side of the road" were not just doing starter motors.

Is it some thing you can fix your self?

Hope so.

Get it done fast, and move on out.

G.

Hi Kevin. Can it be fixed or do you need to replace it? Let us know if you need help from this end.

Try being overfreindly with the cops & officials, they can't wait to get rid of you, worked a treat for us & got us out of all sorts of bother & through borders as quick as you can jump over them. Except into Senegal that is.

ignat said:
Turned the key again and just 'click' . Oh no.. in a dusty outpost in searing heat, sick as a dog, and now this :evil: - a failed starter motor...

... would have been the last thing I needed :lol:

Turned out, the heat had stopped us thinking clearly.

The car was in DRIVE, not PARK...

DOH!!! :doh:

Anyway, we then got through the border and kept on heading east.

Slept the first night in the bush. Only noise was the occasional truck passing by, but otherwise silent.

Got the Bamako the following day, and it is pretty crazy there.

IMG_1638.JPG

Seems like every single person has a "KTM POWER K" motorbike. Thousands and thousands of them.

Stayed at a place called Le Cactus. Friendly owners from Canada. Interesting stories from their days in Zaire, now DRC, which is where we are heading.

Have not seen any other overlanders so far. Le Cactus people say they reckon they have maximum 30 % of overlanders, due to the Mauritania security situation.

This plus the time of year mean we mostly have the campsites to ourselves, except some animals to keep us company

IMG_1605.JPG

It was very hot and Le Cactus has no electricity or running water. So we thought, bugger this, lets find a place with a pool. We found Campement Kangaba and checked in there for a few days while waiting for visas for Benin and Burkina Faso.

IMG_1626.jpg

Visas in hand we headed for Burkina.

Refreshingly cool pool,
I am sure you all spent many hours chilling.

Looks like the LC is behaving nice now.

G.

Howsit all

Sorry not had a chance to update for a while! Ususal story - internet hard to come by. Goingdownsouth - not to worry, got all the waypoints and tracklogs :mrgreen: Will post them asap.

TR continues:

27-5-2011 Burkina Faso - Benin - Nigeria

Arrived in Burkina. The border crossing was easy, no bribes. :clap: Took around 1 hour in total. Left the crossing quite late so we arrived at Bobo-Dioulasso quite late. Stayed at Casa Africa - (N11 10.148 W4 18.708)

It has camping or rooms which are very cheap. It was still extremely hot and had the fan going full blast with very little effect..

Next day we got going again, towards Ouagadougo. Decided to keep going past Ouagadougou as we are tired of cities. Thought we'd bush camp but found "Campement Weotenga" (N12 20.418 W0 54.579). Simone was feeling the heat and was not well, so we splashed out on a bungalow with aircon. 35 000 CFA for the night but the heat is bad so it was worth it..

IMG_1649.JPG

Left Burkina for Benin.

IMG_1642.jpg

Northern Benin is amazing. Didnt get many photo's as we were too much in awe.

IMG_1656.JPG

IMG_1659.JPG

We didnt spend much time here though, and just camped in the bush at N9 45.497 E2 33.843. The ground was covered with scorpions though, so we were glad we didnt have a ground tent..

Next day we drove for Nigeria.

We decided to head to N'Dali then head east to Nikki and from there to Kaiama, via the Chikanda border post. This has been one of the highlights of the trip so far!

The road to Nikki is non-existent but is under construction by the Chinese.

IMG_1663.JPG

IMG_1665.JPG

When we left Europe most people said "how will you cope with Nigeria?"

Well we expected a dodgy border crossing, but in fact this was the most organised crossing so far. Everyone was friendly, not corrupt, and actually knew how to fill out a carnet.

The state of Kwara is great, everyone is so friendly, and people speak English. yay!

The roads are horrible, and at times the road dissapears and you are in a dry riverbed. If we did this route again we would have bush camped on the road to Kaiama.

IMG_1667.JPG

IMG_1671.JPG

This area isnt covered in T4A, so we had no idea how much further to Kaiama. The locals kept saying "just 20mins" or "almost there" but it took forever.

From Kaiama to Kishi the road is again very bad. We got there in the dark. At dusk the sky was full of bats, like a movie. We stopped in a very busy area full of people and within 2 minutes we had exchanged currency and had a guy take us to see a guest house.

The manager was cool and keen to make us happy. 2500 Naira for the night. Safe parking. Not bad its around $15. It is at N9 03.470 E3 51.971

IMG_1672.JPG

Route for this leg

bf.jpg

Hi Guys,

Great to hear from you!!

Glad to know you're okay and doing well.

Cheers for all the waypoints - especiaaly the Scorpion one!! :thumbup:

Keep the good times rolling!!

Stay safe

GDS :cool:

Hi Kev. Glad to hear you are doing well. Was a bit too long between pics though! :)

Good to hear you are well & enjoying the trip Kev :cool:

Glad all is still well. Was wondering where you were...

Sorry, but at what point do you start doubting you are on the right road?
IMG_1667.JPG

Cheers all.

Crispin, that road was like that for ages. Had no clue where we were going at times :lol:

31-05-2011 - Nigeria

Today we continue to Abuja

As we leave the guest house we realise we need diesel and so turn around a few hundred meters before a road block. After refuelling we get to the road block and the cops are very suspicious of us. Have to convince them we didnt try avoiding them.

They ask what we are doing in Nigeria.

"We're Tourists"

"TERRORISTS!??!?"

"NO, TOURISTS!"

Eventually we get back on the road.

IMG_1898.jpg

Stopped many many times by police.

Find the "road safety officers" to be the more corrupt cops. The regular police still ask for bribes but arent nearly as bad.

Some road safety officers stop us and tell us our brake lights arent working. Actually they are. We show him clear as day. He disagrees. Says they arent working. No, they are. They start saying not to worry, I can pay a small fee and just get the lights fixed later. But they are working!

Simone loses her patience with them. Eventually they get bored and we get going again.

Get to a crazy village. Forget the name but it is chaotic. Bit of confusion on the route to Abuja, but a local is helpfully showing us the way. Take a wrong turn and a traffic officer directs us, directing us as we reverse. "go....go...go...lots of space..." BANG. Reversed into a taxi. Take a look, but the taxi is in such a sorry state we cant see what damage is down to us.

He doesnt even care. We get going again.

IMG_1681.JPG

Didnt want to drive at night, especially in Nigeria. But we arrive in Abuja after 11pm. Couple of roadblocks, but nothing too bad.

We get to the Sheraton hotel, but the entrance is blocked by army/police. They block the entrance so they can check our documents and demand money. Staff look frustrated, but seem used to it and dont say a word.

Spend the next 4 days here while applying for visas.

We can camp behind the hotel for 500 Naira pppn.

Apply for Cameroon visa. These cost 50 000 WEST CFA [XOF] each. Bear this in mind. We got rid of our West African CFA, as Cameroon uses Central African CFA [XAF], Nigeria Naira. But they insist on WEST CFA. No money changers have the currency, but found one guy and we are charged a crazy rate.

People in the Cameroon embassy are very very rude. They put my visa in my expired passport.

Try for Congo (Brazza) visa and get it in 30mins. Cost = 15000 Naira each. Friendly people. Try to get DRC visa, but are told they dont issue visas for tourists anymore because of huge paperwork requirements.

They say if we want to get a transit visa we must first have an Angola visa. But we dont so they say sorry nothing we can do. We leave and as we are walking down the road they call us back. Actually we can do a visa for you. it will cost 125 000 CFA ea. (!!) & they say they can do it in 30mins.

Decide to try further down the road instead.

Find a SPAR supermarket, so we get to stock up on 2-minute noodles and other fine foods.

Some waypoints
Angola Embassy - N9 02.382 E7 28.534 (Pointless though, they dont issue them here anyway)
Cameroon Embassy - N9 04.284 E7 29.383
Sheraton - N9 03.766 E7 29.103
Spar Supermarket - N9 03.295 E7 29.349 . Or ask your taxi driver for the Ceddi Plaza. Theres an ATM, cinema, etc etc here too

IMG_1949.jpg

Back