Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

USB GPS thingy configuration

my dongle jobbie set ups new com port, COM10, when it installed, and GPSGate listens to that port ...

I loathe computers...

Back with a touchscreen. Dare I tackle that furkin puck again...

does it work on a regular computer? Maybe you getting a conflict there? What's in the h/w profile under the control panel?

Gaz, I think I have lapsed in my IT skills... :( I used to be okay (ish) at these things but got a bit lost after Win3.1...

I haven't had a sound out of this pc since receiving it - I can see there's no audio device installed but can I find one to install? Uh huh... Let alone check the hardware profile in control panel...

I need a refresher course...

Something else to keep inline Gav is making sure your mapping software is set to the right GPS output format which is either NMEA or Garmin. Without software interferance your GPS will be outputting NMEA. Make sure that's what MemoryMap is using and check the speed is also correct. I would disable GPSGate for now, that's an extra layer you don't need for MemoryMap and could be tripping over itself. You only need GPSGate to get Garmin output and only Garmin software requires that, everyone else is happy with NMEA.

Slightly off-piste... I use ViewRanger on my iphone / N82. It's got the preloaded OS maps (where you can see the ++++ lines for byways) and has a built in gps so it just works. With the iphone version you get the benefit of the compass so you can see a projected line on the map of where it is facing too. Records a track log etc etc. V good.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Also Gav I'd probably hold off on the mapping stuff until you're happy the actual box is running 100%

Aye, I have it back to a functioning state now :thumbup: I still need to sort out the sound driver though... Any clues on that for me?

Cheers

Good shout - was going to suggest getting the driver pack from the website. Is there not a recovery partition on the HDD you can browse?

Thanks chaps, I shall try those when I get a chance next...

Quick update - still no sound on the ACER - I am a computer luddite...

BUT, I have got me USB puck thingy working on my pooter at work :D

Will try to get it onto my laptop at home tonight so watch out for the mushroom cloud over the Wirral later on... :whistle:

Has the computer in question got a physical serial port Gav? I've got a Garmin GPS II+ I could lend you for the weekend but it uses a real serial port :)

Nope, fraid not Jon :( The laptop is a Viao with a rather large screen a few USB's & the Revo has USB's coming out of its ears but neither has a 'real' serial connection... Thanks for the offer though :cool:

If I can get the Sony to play ball, I might throw it in to see what it does but its battery life ain't great & my inverter is still a little way off being fitted. I'm happy navigating at the weekend with the maps I've printed & the Nuvi should do the road sections ok :pray:

:cool:

I might have a spare monitor when my new one comes ;)

Not going back up to 15" again are you Jon :lol:

Let me see how this one I got from china works out first...

Gav/Jon

If its any help, I connect the serial output from a Garmin GPS V to my Revo using a serial to USB conversion cable I got from Maplin. I think I had to install a driver that came with the cable.

cheers

I have a Garmin V of Chris to try out & that does come complete with the cable too Reinhard - the problem I had with Chris's kit was that when I plugged the unit into the 12v cigarette lighter socket, it blew the fuse in the truck... That was ahy I needed the fuse from you on the day... I haven't tried it again since...

Back