Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Welcome back

Well done Crispin. I love using XenForo.

Any hope of adding the floating "Back to top" button?

Hi Crispin,
great to just drag a picture in a post ! love it.

I just started a thread in 'trips and trip reports' and it doesn't show up when I click the 'new posts' button.
I also miss the 'read more' button in the activity stream to go to the last post in a thread.

keep up the good work !

grtz

Wout

I just started a thread in 'trips and trip reports' and it doesn't show up when I click the 'new posts' button.

It's showing in 'new posts' for me.

I find this is exactly the same as vbulletin. New posts don't show in the 'new posts' list for the OP but shows for everyone else.

No change, sorry.

You can leave it in the too hard bin for now if there are more pressing issues?

I would like to try get it working. There will be others with phones like you. I need to work out how small to make it before it fits. It might be the case of an almost imperceptible amount to make it work. I'll setup a test thing though

1, despite signing in and ticking the 'stay signed in' box, it keeps kicking me out.
I have seen this happen to me to. Take a note when you use it - do you see the green padlock / https in the URL. You should. It should always bounce you to that. On occasion though I see it does not for reasons I am tying to work out. When it does switch between the two it kicks you out of the forum. If you're being logged out and always on https then let me know.

3, threads I have viewed that have new posts don't start where I left off. They start from the beginning. Bens' thread will get tedious.
There is a link to show you "Go to first unread message". That should do it?

4, I only seem to have a 'new posts' and no 'recent posts' next to it just '...'.
New and recent are the same thing. As I've been told - "it's a bit of a hybrid". I am working on this to find a way it works well. I would like to improve it.
5. The new posts list doesn't seem to hold replied to threads in the order they were replied. I.e I replied on the 'Gullwings rear windows' build thread and cannot seem to find it in the new posts section today.
You won't - it's not new to you.

6, just found when typing this it eventually fills up the screen and disappears down below the keyboard on the iPhone without auto moving up. It has to be manually moved up.
That is normal. I've not seen anywhere that has an auto-scroll while typing? I've always found it to be like that on other forums and had the same irritation if the box is to big.

Must experiment with 'drag n' drop' pictures, that sounds useful (so, are they held on the site server?? at present I use Photobucket as the host?).
Yes, they're held on the server. The process of adding images should be so much simpler. To go via Photobucket was a real pain (even though you did not really have to :) )
Let me know how you get one. You and Ben are the kings of images. He's already going to switch to non-photobucket and let me know his findings :)

Yup, the post is not new to you :) We can all see it though.

I also miss the 'read more' button in the activity stream to go to the last post in a thread.
You can hover over the text to get a preview bubble of what is said or you can click on the title and it'll take you to the message. Is that what the previous button did?

I'm liking the new format so far. I especially like how the PM inbox appears on the top of the screen with any new unread messages. Maybe I'm half blind or just thick but I never saw this with the old setup and didn't seem to get any PM notification! I've just found old messages I didn't know I had or respond to so apologies to the senders!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've just received my email welcoming me back and I don't know if it was coincidence or what but I am just in the process of getting my 100 series it's last MOT report (under my ownership) as I have recently downsized to a Freelander and no longer need my Landcruiser. I already miss that lovely V8 sound. I will confess that it has been a little bit neglected and there are a few issues that now need a bit of extra work and care to get it tiptop again. The engine fires up first time and will switch to and runs lovely on LPG, and this on a car that has just under 230,000 miles on the clock. I don't seem to have the required privileges to post on the classifieds, I would willing do that if I could as I am sure that my very reasonably priced 100 might be just the vehicle someone on here is looking for. Perhaps if someone could tell me what I now need to do to post on the classifieds I will do that with a few pictures if I can?;)

May I suggest a change: To swap around the "New Posts" and the "Recent Posts" buttons?
The two different searches work this way:
The button New Posts, which is easlily located under Forums, gives only the threads wich I have not read before (or replied to) (i.e. "unread posts").
The button "Recent Posts", located at the right margin only after clicking "New Posts", gives all threads, sorted backwards according to the latest post in that thread. (i.e. newest first)

The most useful of these two is the Recent Posts, because:
1 - It gives a full overview of the latest activity on the forum.
2 - It is possible to find and go back to a post/thread that you have already looked at, but not had the time to read properly the previous time. This is very annoying - f.ex: looking briefly (e.g. on the mobile) and finding something you need to take a closer look at, but when you, 20 mins later, click on New Posts, the post/thread is not there, even though it is new, and posted "this very afternoon".
3 - It makes it easy to keep track of the latest poster on any active thread, also those you have contributed on yourself.

So, would it be an idea to have the Recent Posts up in the Forums submenu, and the "posts you have never seen before in your life"-button, aka New Posts down where the Recent Posts button is reciding now?
I feel it would give a better experience to most forum members to have the easiest access to "Recent Posts".

Otherwise, the new look of things is great. Using it on a dinky mobile phone (android) is now a good experience, and on the PC it is very Crisp in use.

Here, in this screenshot, the thread "Welcome Back" could have been the top one, as I posted in it 1 minute ago...
ScreenHunter_21 May. 01 01.10-aa.jpg

Last edited:
I'm signed in on https now so we will see if it boots me off. It has done every time but then I found I was openingbupbseveralbinstances of it so I stopped that.

Where was was the link to show how to 'go to first unread message'?

The great thing about TT was that you had what they called 'Timeline' which just had every thread in it with the one with the latest reply at the top marked to show it was unread…until you read it. Even if I had posted a reply it was still there to be able to check that reply through for example. It would also start at the first unread post in the thread.

Though I'm liking the new format I do miss that simple ability in TT. Is this something we can see here? I'm thinking 'Recent Posts' is the one but not finding it exactly the same. Perhaps I'm missing something, it is early days and not being familiar with this I'm going round in circles a bit and not spending so much time on here (maybe that's a good thing…?) if there were a 'timeline' type feature it's what I would use most.

Couldnt find the extended emojis. :angry:

Keep up the good work Crispin :)

Crikey Crispin,I'm going to have to do some learning.I guess I'll have to call on my mate Clive to help me from time to time.Looks good though..

Thanks Crispin.I really enjoy the club and the general air of bonhomie and the great jokes.Thanks Chas.

Crikey Crispin,I'm going to have to do some learning.I guess I'll have to call on my mate Clive to help me from time to time.Looks good though..

It will be the blind leading the blind Pat, but you're welcome to pm me anytime :)

Hi Crispin,
uHu describes in post #88 (recent posts vs new posts) what I meant before.
This + a 'read more' button below the thread which brings you to the last message on that thread would be great, especially when following threads like Ben's on an ipad.

you're still doing a great job! many thanks !

grtz
wout

Nice! I like the new look. I also find it user friendly. Easy to navigate through. I was worried when changes were first anounced...no longer worried! Thanks!
P.S. can't find the ballerina:)

Crispin,

Steve's Camper trailer page is loading images slowly (with Land Cruiser hosted pages) whilst Ben's build was running good this arvo.

Hope that helps...

Ed

Crispin,

Steve's Camper trailer page is loading images slowly (with Land Cruiser hosted pages) whilst Ben's build was running good this arvo.

Hope that helps...

Ed
Thanks Ed,

I've not turned on the caching yet so that's a good test. When I do I'll give you a shout and we can compare.

So far so good today with the site not booting me off under https.

Alas as I have now found a reason to hate it. Sorry. I'm really not sure how to send a PM but opened up the members details and sent a message. It then told me it had to be no more than 420 characters long. Talk about :angry screaming:!! I had to crop the message so much it lost most of its original meaning. Hope upon hope I'm doing something wrong as that sort of thing turns me into a screaming idiot quickest.

Ok, this has been cleared up with SC. I think it was a profile message he was sending and not a PM/Private Conversation.

To send a private message to someone:
1) Click on their avatar
2) Click on Start A conversation

Simple as that :)

Back