Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

well, it had to happen....

Eek! That's scary stuff. Was it the rock sliders that stopped it taking all the doors out too?

I reckon they did - not had a real good chance to look, but going to the garage this pm to have a look. Its odd that the front and back got damage but not the 2 doors down the side though!

Wish me luck getting wheels off and originals back on!

Yowch !! Glad it was only metal that got damaged.

I would recommend you do precisely that, if you have a set of originals. My experience here is the insurance companies are very devious when it comes to defending their liability, and there's little recourse here, not like they have with the ombudsman in the UK for example.

It's probable that you would have to take the matter to court, if they refused to pay out, and that would be a nightmare.

I don't mean to be alarmist, but just do all you can to give them no excuses.

Eeeek!

Glad to see you're both ok though Steve.

Best of luck dealing with the insurance company!

Just back from the garage - all fixable, said no problem re tyres and will take about a month to do, once he gets the go-ahead from insurers :( Then it will be August and everyone will be shut until September, oh bum! We dont have a hire car replacement on the policy, so Dawns going to have to hire one every Saturday till its done :(

edit - I hope its a tough one, like a APC or something! :)

Last edited:
Well at least its fixable and after the grief Helen had from insurance because she was given a hire car as per policy i would buy something ready for the knackers yard to tide me over . Do you have a mate with a spare car you could rent for a one off fee ?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just back from the garage - all fixable, said no problem re tyres and will take about a month to do, once he gets the go-ahead from insurers :( Then it will be August and everyone will be shut until September, oh bum! We dont have a hire car replacement on the policy, so Dawns going to have to hire one every Saturday till its done :(

edit - I hope its a tough one, like a APC or something! :)
Don't want to rain on your parade, but is that the garage saying that or the insurers? they may take a different view of the damage. Maybe you will have an argument for taking a payment and getting it fixed yourself. :think:

we will see - It was still on the recovery wagon so couldnt have changed them anyway! Fingers crossed all will be well.

Well, it happened 2 weeks ago today and the news is....nothing.#
Well, Last Friday we called into the garage to see what was happening. The owner told us the 'expert' had been that day and we should hear by Tuesday/Wednesday what was happening. On Tuesday we got a letter from said 'expert' saying he had not heard anything from the garage and could we find out whats going on! Phoned the garage and he now says that he sent photographs yesterday (Monday) and we should hear by the end of the week............nothing heard. Grrrrr, why do people tell you what you want to hear rather than the truth? in 2 weeks its the big shutdown where practically France shuts down for a month. At this rate it will be September before we see it!
Bloody silly wife etc etc

Photo evidence of the damage is one thing but what the insurance will want from the garage is a price to repair it . You might speed things up if you tell the garage you could pick it up on a trailer and take it around to get some quotes . The garage will charge storage fees to insurance companies on top of parts and labour so its not really in their interest to speed things along .

it gets worse!
The 'expert' has decided that there is too much damage for him to assess the truck from a distance (from photo's) so now needs to see it in person! But, now this is where I am getting a 'bit' cross, he visits the garage 2 x a week anyway! WTF!!!!!! he must have walked past it 5 times already........the reason he has not bothered looking at it........he didnt have the dossier with him.......what a bunch of cr*p!!!
He is next at the garage on Friday....(Monday was another bloomin bank holiday here), so, we now wait for Friday and you know whats coming, he will either scrap it or find a reason why the insurers wont pay out or both! French couldnt organise a wotsit in a brewery!

Just back from the garage - all fixable.

As Shayne says, subject to a price.

I would be interested on an insurer's opinion on this, in principle, such as Chris Knot or some of the other's that use this forum as a sales medium.

My view, in theory, if that price is above the market value of the truck (undamaged) then the insurers should give you the market value of the truck. That should be the truck in its standard form, less extras that belong to you.

If you then choose to repair it yourself, then you can buy back the salvage from the insurers.

Up to the moment they pay out, the vehicle belongs to you. Once they pay out it belongs to them.

If you're correct "here it would be worth 8-10k" then I see no way that the repairs will get close to that, so "write-off" should not be a question.

Like anyone else, the insurers will want value for money, they don't want to be ripped off by a $$ happy repair shop.

What I'll never understand is the inefficiency of the insurers to process the business. Again as Shayne said, the garage will be clocking up storage fees. These are often cancelled if the repair is carried out at that garage, but not necessarily.

IMO (for what it's worth) you should keep close contact with the insurers, the contract is between you and them. Phone them every day, maybe twice a day. They have no business delaying this process and you are the one inconvenienced all the time the vehicle is unserviceable.

You should be part of the negotiation process between the garage and the insurers. You should also discuss with the garage a negotiated price should the insurers write it off and you have the truck repaired yourself.

I wouldn't sit back and wait for them to sort it out, because it will take forever and it will certainly not be to your financial advantage.

JMHO of course, Steve, good luck.

Last edited:
I feel for you and understand.We have a winding drive just over a quarter of a mile long and one fine day was sitting in my prado watching the ducks on the dam when my darling wife came around the corner on her quad bike and hit me head on.damage to prsdo(&6000) damage to wife 20 stitches and we had a box on the front which our cairn terrier rode in .when I phoned my son to tell him about it the first thing he said was. Is the dog ok.he was he had stayed home.Pat

Above all do not forget the truck belongs to you and nobody can do anything to it or with it without your agreement . Insurers use time like a weapon to defeat any objectionable argument , in the end many are willing to agree with whatever they say just to see progress . You can use this against them though , most policies have legal cover included . Check yours and if its there your laughing because they outsource the law work which means if you activate it they have to pay a law firm to act against them on your behalf . It's a twisted philosophy for sure but it does work because all of a sudden the shoes on the other foot and the insurance will want a quick settlement to keep costs from spiraling .

your right guys - time to get angry! call after call coming up! 2 weeks time and everyone shuts for August (well almost everyone!) gggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh

there feel better all ready ;)

More to get them moving really Steve....

The anger will really kick-in later....

Hopefully not :icon-biggrin:

going to the garage tomorrow eve to get my dongle thingy for the tolls out as a trip planned on Tuesday to look at another 4x4..........dont worry, its one of these!
index.jpg

:)

Last edited:
going to the garage tomorrow eve to get my dongle thingy for the tolls out as a trip planned on Tuesday to look at another 4x4..........dont worry, its one of these!
View attachment 14198

:)

Very nice too Steve :thumbup:

I'm on a short holiday and need to cut my grass but it rained today...

That looks great for getting under trees and bushes...:icon-biggrin:

Did you declare all the modifications? If so, its a game of haggle, and they drag their feet as a tactic to put some pressure on you.

If you didnt declare the mods fingers crossed they arent fussed.

Ive had 3 claims in 3 years, with the latest (the lunatic cyclist) heading for court, so im scrupulous about declaring mods.

Yes, thankfully - the only thing they said they wouldnt cover is the new suspension /wheels/tyres as these are pretty useful for normal driving! (didnt tell them how big the tyres were though!) All the goodies are covered - up to 3k worth of accsessories on the policy. I just wish they would pull there finger out! Back on the chasing today - the 'expert' went on Friday........

Back