Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What is it about the 80 series ...................

Hummer was my dream car coz it was just ludicrous , i never thought i'd get the chance to drive one let alone own one ............ but i sold it coz my 90 is more fun . It wasn't an easy choice to make though and would have been even more difficult if the Hummer wasn't an auto box .

My 90 was the first swb i had ever set eyes on and i just said to the mrs i'm having that and phoned the bloke to tell him its sold and will be there in the morning with the money . No barter , no questions , no experience and no research i just wanted it i didn't even have a driving license . I have no regrets and the truck just gets better and better .

I started out with a 120, it's modern, a nice place to be and does what I need. Since then I've had a 70, 90, 95 and now have 2 80's. One as an off-roader and the other stock, they all have their merits and and faults. The 80 is definitely something that has to be driven to appreciate, it's agricultural and needs to be worked at but that straight six rewards you like non of the other models, so much so that I just might be buying another one in the New Year.

If Fred Dibnah were still with us, he would have converted after driving one. Can't explain it Shayne, you need to drive one for a week and you'll be hooked I reckon.

The 80 not only feels unstoppable with that beautiful big lazy engine, it is, just take a look at some of the videos on you tube, and it certainly has road presence ;)

Until you drive one and use it it is hard to describe... I scoffed at the (my believed) hyped up comments previous to my first one...

It is certainly not hype, it's just a great car...:icon-cool:

The 80 not only feels unstoppable

It was a mistake but not even concrete walls will. :icon-redface:

3.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You will always be a star in my eyes for that Chas :lol: Mr T's own garage :laughing-rolling: :thumbup:

I would like to try one but that's no easy feat i would prob end up doing a 300 mile round trip just for a 10 minute test drive , i'll be in the Isle of Man in a couple of days and i'm sure i could borrow one there if i could find one but i just can't think of anybody . Ironically borrowing a 60 would present no problem but that's a bottomless pit i must force myself to avoid .

And it needs to be a manual box because an auto would put me off forever .

Last edited:
Why would an auto put you off? I drove a couple of manuals before I bought mine and preferred the auto. Then went petrol and had no choice lol. Don't find it agricultural to drive tbh but don't have a tractor engine :icon-biggrin:
Sure someone would let you have a drive at lincomb?

Just a personal thing Gary the Hummer had the best auto box i could possibly imagine and power to spare but i felt somehow removed from the action , almost like a passenger ?

I've come a full circle with this anyway by asking myself what the 80 has my 90 doesn't ? Looking back through the comments POWER is the number one distinction . Solid axle is number 2 and internal space number 3 .

Power wise my truck feels as others describe and there are only a few little tweaks to add before she goes on a rolling road so i will have some accurate figures to compare with the 80's performance stats .

Solid axle is an old school winner that can't be beat but i do want long travel ifs which should even the score a bit .

Internal space - i don't need any more than i've already got and to quote Iwan again when talking about his 60 "felt like i was hauling to much weight around" . That was one of the niggling doubts i had about the Hummer though it had so much power i couldn't see it as clearly as Iwan does .

To be honest i was going to buy this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-la...icle_Parts_Accessories_ET&hash=item4ae0cc2afa

Last edited:
Next time we meet Shayne you're welcome to have a bash around in mine.

Cheers for that Chas yours is an auto is it not ? I have no doubt at all autos are great off road because i used to drive diggers , what i need to test is a manual and on road coz if i get one that's where it will be 90% of the time as a daily driver . I will accept all opportunities to test one I just think i should finish what i started with my 90 before i move on .

That's right Shayne mine is an auto, I'm sure there will be a manual owner who will oblige with a test drive.

You will always be a star in my eyes for that Chas :lol: Mr T's own garage :laughing-rolling: :thumbup:

I would like to try one but that's no easy feat i would prob end up doing a 300 mile round trip just for a 10 minute test drive , i'll be in the Isle of Man in a couple of days and i'm sure i could borrow one there if i could find one but i just can't think of anybody . Ironically borrowing a 60 would present no problem but that's a bottomless pit i must force myself to avoid .

And it needs to be a manual box because an auto would put me off forever .

Actually, I did think I could see the bottom of the pit with my 60, but it turned out just to be a ledge I bounced off on the way down!!

Chas did you reverse out of the garage??

Not only did I reverse out, when the breakdown truck arrived he couldn't get down to where my 80 was so even after going through a wall I was still able to drive that indestructible 80 to the breakdown wagon.
podium-016.gif

Not only did I reverse out, when the breakdown truck arrived he couldn't get down to where my 80 was so even after going through a wall I was still able to drive that indestructible 80 to the breakdown wagon.
podium-016.gif

I love that photo, it was the first thread I read on this forum before signing up, kinda clinched it for me! I like the rubble jammed in the winch bar, couldn't really say "... who me? :whistle:" now could you....?

If I hadn't already got the 60, and fell hopelessly in love with it, there is no doubt in my mind whatsover that I would have got an 80 for travelling, but when I got the 60 some 9 years ago 80s were out of my price range.

Well having done 10k in the last year in my 95 auto and loved every minute of it, I have now done a few 100 miles in my 80, the difference to me it seems to do everything so much easier.

Back