Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What is it about the 80 series ...................

Shayne

Guru
I accept its superior strength and off road ability but i've never driven one and i just can't imagine it being as much fun to drive as my swb 90 as a daily driver . The reason i ask is the mrs is due a new car and while nothing really appeals to her she loves driving my truck . I said ok we will get you your own one and the lights in her eyes went out :icon-neutral: she wants mine .

Seems daft to have two of the same but I had the Hummer and wouldn't swap it for my 90 because despite its awesome power and nimbleness that astonished me for a truck that size , its size detracted from the fun factor .

Obviously the 80 is popular and i do admit a curiosity but i can't help thinking there is a touch of this involved http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php/53663-The-Banana-Experiment

Has anybody downsized and for what reason ?

For me personally Shane. I bought an 80 before I got invoked in any forums. What sold them to me was myself and my old business partner were doing a barn conversion. At that time I had a 2.4 surf that wasn't very good and I was pondering what would do the job I wanted it to do.
There was a plant guy who's yard was opposite where we were working. Day in day out the 80s he had were thrashed with 3-4 tonne sat behind them. From what I saw I had to have one. Never looked back. I've had various cruisers including 100 series 90s etc. For me personally I will always own one or more. At the time I didn't know anyone who owned one.

I don't follow people. If you want something go for it regardless. Think you would enjoy an 80 though ;)

I have had all kinds of 4x4 and driven many more but i will say the best ALL round 4x4 has been the 80. I can do most lanes around me in it i can do 80mph down the motorway and still potter around town.
Since i did my exhaust its made a big difference to the driving experiance, I would even go as far as its nippy now??? the noise is a nice sound not to load for me.

I have even had my 85 year old great uncle and anty(spelling) in it. tip runs towing you name it the 80 will do it.

my only grip is the 12v dog shit brown seats and dash does look very dated.

but if i didnt go off road and wanted as 4x4 road going vehicle is would look at the 90 series or the 120, 100 as i feel they are nicer to drive on the tarmac.
what you can pick up a 100 for is alot less then a late model 80.

Stu

I accept its superior strength and off road ability but i've never driven one and i just can't imagine it being as much fun to drive as my swb 90 as a daily driver . The reason i ask is the mrs is due a new car and while nothing really appeals to her she loves driving my truck . I said ok we will get you your own one and the lights in her eyes went out :icon-neutral: she wants mine .

Seems daft to have two of the same but I had the Hummer and wouldn't swap it for my 90 because despite its awesome power and nimbleness that astonished me for a truck that size , its size detracted from the fun factor .

Obviously the 80 is popular and i do admit a curiosity but i can't help thinking there is a touch of this involved http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php/53663-The-Banana-Experiment

Has anybody downsized and for what reason ?

When I was driving my 60 series around.. doing small journeys it felt like I was carrying around too much weight. Brilliant truck love it to bits. Then on long runs it was perfect.

I returned to the lj70 which is a great workhorse can blat down to the shop etc. Then for work the boot isnt big enough or just most of the time!!!

Its a conundrum between lwb and swb.. its very much what you intend to use it for.

Got the 80 now... doesnt feel as bulky as the 60.. I think it will be just right!! More power on coils and more modern. ...

The choice is yours.. if you dont like it. You can sell it!! Go on Shane get a 80 and see what your missing out on by having a solid front axle!!

Without sounding too much like a monkey, my 80 gives me everything I want in a 4x4 DD.
I can pack the family and all their junk into her and head of for holidays in 'relative' comfort but it is still more than capable off road - more than the driver sometimes.

I also like the fact that I can do most of the work on her myself as my 12v manual are fairly simple big mechanical lump.
There are times I could quite literally burn it when fighting with rusted solid stuff etc. but that is more to do with the neglect inflicted on her by the PO.

For anybody who doesn't like swinging a wrench, maybe not a great choice but they do definitely get under your skin.

Dave.

Drive one. If you don't like it, it's not the truck.

I just love them. If they made new ones still, I'd be very tempted. Only thing I'd drive in an apocalypse that's for sure.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Get one Shayne, it'll be good for clearing the Zombies out of the way.
zombie-302.gif
fantasy-mummy-33.gif

zombie-302.gif
fantasy-mummy-33.gif
Hey look, it's Chas's Missus bringing him home from the boozer. You wait til I get you home! ONE pint you said!!

:laughing-rolling: Brilliant Chris!

Shayne, I don't know how much damage the Hummer has done, but the 80 ticks all my boxes, big enough and small enough at the same time, enough grunt for me loads of torque offroad, smart looking, and comfy. I can get 8 adults in it safely with a few small kids too, when needs must.

Love it.

Like they all say, get one, try it, and flog it on if you're not hooked. :dance:

IMO the 80 is really one of only two vehicles that occupies a particular niche in the 4x4 market - that being defined by the attributes of robustness, reliability, comfort and ability wrapped up in a vehicle big enough to tour the world yet small enough to be a daily drive. The other vehicle is certain models of the Nissan Patrol. No other 4x4s have the same attributes in quite the same proportions. Like Karl I bought mine long before discovering the forum (to my financial detriment I might add!), influenced primarily by my time in Oz touring in an FJ45 and through research into vehicles for overlanding. I also believe I will likely always own an 80 and have a long term dream/ambition to one day do a complete strip down and rebuild/restoration. I guess it's like anything really, if the bug bites it bites.

What have you Done Shayne!:lol:

Ive been reading all these coments. should i go try an 80:think:

Try an 80 your not a real cruiser head unless you have one.

We will have to change the forum name to 80's only.

Stu

The 80 is simply the best designed LC ever, unless you need better approach and depart angles. It's lacking a bit of modern features expected in modern cars today though, but a real beauty, as well as sturdy and well built.

I will know tomorrow when I pick mine up from Mal Eade

IMO the 80 is really one of only two vehicles that occupies a particular niche in the 4x4 market

Agreed on the 80 but what about the G Wagen? I thought these were supposed to be a reliable, well proven over landing 4x4. Bloody expensive though!

Personally for me I hate the sight of the g wagon.

The 80 just does everything as it should. The 95s 90s and 100s are a lot better on the black stuff but they aren't robust enough for me. I'd break them every two min. Like someone aid above the 80s are fairly easy to work with as wellas well

G wagons are stupidly heavy as well. Dont have much axle articulation as standard either.

I looked at lots of patrols before i got my 80 and they were very rusty in the back. Plus we only get the 3.0 td aka the hand grenade engine. Will try the 4.8 petrol when i go to SA this time.
Stu

Interesting stuff and i apologize for the banana test link what i meant by it was its easy to agree with popular opinion especially when you actually own the fabled beast .

Clive , Iwan and Lorin gave me most to think about . The Hummer ticked every box for me and i could have kept it if i was willing to give up my 90 , but i collected my 90 about 6 weeks after buying the Hummer and i just knew it wasn't going to happen .

Iwan "blats down the shop" in his 70 ......... i blat everywhere ! also "its not big enough for work" i have a ford transit tipper and a tow hitch neither of which get much use .

Lorin mentions the Patrol - there was a LHD black swb Patrol on ebay years ago and i still remember it clear as day because i was so impressed with it , Toolsplus recently posted a pic of the same and i must have revisited that thread 30 times to take another look at it . Black LWB Patrols are not hard to find but don't grab my attention .

So there's the crux of it as Iwan said "Its a conundrum between lwb and swb"

Chris your absolutely right with "try it and see" but i did that with the Hummer , i would have to buy one and drive it for a month to decide if it was right for me and recent experience tells me selling is a bloody nightmare .

Last edited:
Owned a Patrol 4.2td GU when lived in OZ. Another cracker of all-round 4x4 wagon that tackled everything West OZ through at it.
Only issue I had being over 6ft it felt like the roof was just about clearing my fat head. 80 feels it has a bit more roam for the taller types.

Back