Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What is it about the 80 series ...................

a coupla mates have auto 80's
when i drive them i always initially feel disappointed,'cause i'm comparing with my 120
they feel slow,ponderous,too big...
then when you hit the first track of the day you realise what the fuss is all about
'cause everything now feels right and you're having fun and you don't wana give it back

i've been looking for an 80 for a few weeks now
the biggest problem with an 80 is finding a good one

my 120's an amazing truck,but a bit soleless
but when i think of 80's they always make me smile
and when i see a pic or in the flesh i want one

get one
fix it up
if you don't like it sell it to me...;)

That kinda confirms my fears TP i spend far more time on road than off (mores the pity) and my 90 is not standard performance wise anyway , the only thing i have to compare it to is the old diesel BMW saloon car Charlie at Prospeed exhausts loans customers and my truck trounced it . The Mrs borrowed my truck the other day and ended up racing what she called a newer pickup truck ? away from the lights and all the way home . That's not like her at all but she arrived home giggling saying he had no chance :wtf: I don't think my truck is super fast or anything but its the way it works as a whole package being jacked up with big wheels etc - the bloody things a hooligan .

Off road i've been stuck 3 times , the first time the ifs just didn't have enough travel to mount a step 2/3rds the way up a track steep enough to need a fast approach . I came back down that same place a couple of hours later and the organizers had filled it in which tells you something . Second time i got stuck it was my fault not the trucks i needed momentum to get through and like a fool i stopped to take stock :eusa-doh:
3rd time was pretty much intentional , it was a bog and the terrain beneath hidden by a pool of muddy water i said to Chas in his 80 "shall we try it" and he says "go ahead" i almost made it to until i slipped down into a hidden hole sinking deep enough to get my spare tyre dirty :lol:

On all 3 occasions i was winched out and if i'd had my own winch fitted i could have continued on my way .

The 80 is superior off road and its what i would want to traverse Africa but does that make it more fun :eusa-think: on road it has more seats or a bigger load space which is great if you need it which i don't .

I dunno i've had lots of bikes and looking back i had the most fun on a dirtbike with nobbly sand tyres stamped with "NOT FOR ROAD USE" even if it did only have a top speed of 90mph . The GSXR 750 was superior in every respect but you couldn't go sideways around a corner at 30mph while nipping to the shop on that

I have had a SWB 90 and a LWB 95. I have had a 120 series and 4x80's.

You do the math as they say. Can't help smiling when I am in an 80. I'd buy another tomorrow.

I have had a SWB 90 and a LWB 95. I have had a 120 series and 4x80's.

You do the math as they say. Can't help smiling when I am in an 80. I'd buy another tomorrow.

Especially if its blue hey chris

Mumble mumble 97 mumble one owner mumble FSH mumble

I have just got back from Mal's with mine, it certainly make me smile

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Buy a petrol if you want power shayne :icon-twisted:

I got mine after having isuzus and tbh they'd go anywhere I'd point them, winch helped at times. did have to push them a bit harder and had done lots of mods. Broke them quite a lot too.
They were ifs and had limits which I'd reached, i wanted a 4x4 with 'real' axles and swb isn't for me either is a landrover. Choice of patrol or 80 and I prefer the 80. Not quite as refined on the road as the ifs isuzu but off road it's so much better imo, comfortable and rides terrain really well. Yes I've had it stuck but just means you're trying. Some of the lads I go laning with have the isuzus similar spec to my old ones, they get everywhere I do but sometimes have to give it a bit more, they still want an 80 though lol.

Shayne/Shane (not sure) I bought an 80 (91) for a trip to Morocco (in fact I bought two) but that's anorther story. I only bought my 80 some time in the summer and I'm now parked up next next to erg (dune) Chebbi having driven from London to Portsmouth then a ferry to Bilboa and driven through Spain to Gibraltar onto anorther ferry, across to Tangier Med and again across most of Morocco to its SE boundary with Algeria. Its been several full days of off-road driving. I'm even more of a fan that I was before. Which other vehicle of this age group would give you the on-off road ability and comfort for sub 5k? Come on just try it:thumbup:

Apart from its offroad capabilities, which I think speak for themselves (or the above posts do anyway) these days I drive our little Sandero for the 20 minute city/traffic run to and from work. It gets me there, and back, it's comfortable and has all the things you need for city driving, and I can street park it in the smallest spaces, but....

Any excuse (and most of them I make up) I take the 80. I can't say why, unless those that may know already know, but others above have hit it right, it makes me smile, all the way there, all the way back, and even when I see it parked up, I smile.

It's a feeling, a "Shep" thing, like being with a good friend, or like being with the right woman, I don't know how else to describe it (pass me a tissue please....:cry:) :lol:.

You will know it when it hits you, maybe yours is the 90, or the Hummer, who knows.

That's why you should buy one, keep it and drive it for 6 months. There's plenty on here that will take it off your hands if it's not right for you. :thumbup:

Shayne/Shane (not sure) I bought an 80 (91) for a trip to Morocco (in fact I bought two) but that's anorther story. I only bought my 80 some time in the summer and I'm now parked up next next to erg (dune) Chebbi having driven from London to Portsmouth then a ferry to Bilboa and driven through Spain to Gibraltar onto anorther ferry, across to Tangier Med and again across most of Morocco to its SE boundary with Algeria. Its been several full days of off-road driving. I'm even more of a fan that I was before. Which other vehicle of this age group would give you the on-off road ability and comfort for sub 5k? Come on just try it:thumbup:

My 95 has done 4 similar trips now, the first trip to the western sahara was 4 weeks after buying it. Have a good trip and post lots of pics :D

I only have one vehicle, a 24v '97 80 series with a manual box. Had the vehicle for 8 years. I don't do much off roading, the 80 was bought as a tow vehicle and it's a brilliant tow vehicle. I live in rural Scotland and it's a perfect vehicle for the remote Highlands. We have tons of single track roads with passing places and the 80 has a great road presence and makes an impression when the roads slow with tourists in the summer.
However, be honest I almost sold it a few years ago as it was just seemed so agricultural.
In the end we fitted an intercooler and large exhaust and played around with the fueling and boost and it seemed genuinely nippy afterwards. I think the next step is to upgrade the turbo (and the brakes) because I just love the 80 so much and can't bare to part with it (but would still love to have a bit more power and pace).

I'm with you Clive, any excuse to take the 80 :icon-cool:

The beemer is better on the road, corners like it's on rails, better on fuel (quite a lot better) it's quieter, it's quicker and easier to drive day to day but it often gets moved out of the way to take the 80. Emma used to complain about going places in the isuzus (especially the one that had bucket seats and stripped out) but she often says let's take the cruiser, she even enjoys driving it!!

get a drive in one Shayne
you'll know in the first 5 mins if it's for you or not

some cars you think are crap will amaze you
it was the Renault 5GT turbo for me,looked like sh1t,i thought it'd be crap,but it's one of the best cars i've ever driven

where else can you get a 4 litre straight six diesel
3 OEM lockers
solid axles
and a TOYOTA front grille
for about £5000...;)

Renualt 5 GT Turbo was the first car i ever wrote off , i was 14 :lol:

Right now its between an 80 and a swb patrol , i even found a newer Patrol with the engine swapped for a 4.2 diesel .

Took a drive in my 80 earlier to Halfords, they were closed, :thumbdown: but I did have a smile on my face. :thumbup:

Renualt 5 GT Turbo was the first car i ever wrote off , i was 14 :lol:

Right now its between an 80 and a swb patrol , i even found a newer Patrol with the engine swapped for a 4.2 diesel .

on my cool wall the 80's at the top

on my smiles wall the 80's at the top

it's down to whatever makes you smile mate...;)

I guess anyone looking for an 80 for serious off road work or expedition modding will pretty much know what they're buying but, as far as the 80's on road driving experience goes, much will depend on what you're used to driving. If you're used to driving a more modern 4x4 or maybe a 90 or 100 series then you could well be disappointed. I moved from a 300Tdi Disco, which overall I was very pleased with but the 80 was superior to that IMO. Just felt like I was driving round in a strongbox, such was the solid feel of the thing plus refinement and bit more performance. New nothing of the 80's credentials beforehand or any of the Landcruiser range for that matter until a recommendation from someone got me doing some homework on the interweb. Also looked at some Colorado's at the time but after looking round and driving some 80's, decided on it for no other reason than it was 'more'. JMO

At one point in my life, the 80 series was my dream car...........

Still is (one of them), it's nice to say 'I drive my dream car'

I have been using our 330d more recently and still make every excuss to take my 80. When driving it i have the biggest grin on my face.

Any way its now Christmas day so have a good one guys.
Stu

Back