Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What is it about the 80 series ...................

£11 grand sounds a lot for a '91, IMO, but I suppose it depends what he's bolted onto it. The RTT (if in good nick) is probably worth 1,500 or so.

AFAIK the "Snow" edition was a Jap market edition, so it's an import at some time in its life. The solid rear side windows and rear carrier is another clue, plus the 2WD option would likely be a Jap market option (the main dislike I'd have with this truck).

Otherwise it looks clean and tidy...

2wd threw me a bit but I imagine that's just locking hubs on the axle and as I do a lot of road miles it might be a good thing but I don't know much about them , would it mean I can't engage full time 4x4 on tarmac without shredding tyres at a daft rate ?

2wd threw me a bit but I imagine that's just locking hubs on the axle and as I do a lot of road miles it might be a good thing but I don't know much about them , would it mean I can't engage full time 4x4 on tarmac without shredding tyres at a daft rate ?

I don't really know Shayne, but just guessing from the owner's write up (and what's been mentioned on other threads) it could be that with the freewheel front hubs, the road won't be driving the diff and the front prop and if there's a lever or switch to disengage the T/F box from driving the front prop, then in 2WD only the rear prop would be in motion, thus the "saving".

However, when the T/F lever/switch is engaged, I don't know whether that's through an open center diff. If it is, then you won't be getting any tyre scrub on asphalt, it would perform like any other 80. If that center diff is lockable, then you'd have all the options and all the benefits too.

You'd have to check this out with the owner to know for sure, unless someone knowledgable comes forward, not just guessing like me!

A quick google investigation suggests they just act like a clutch at the hub so everything should work as normal but your wheels are detached from the drivetrain , I don't have the knowledge or lingo to know if I'm reading that right but it would be a good thing if I am . Can anyone say yea or nay ?

:lol: I employed a guy from Essex once I swear I was making 7 million pound a day ... or I would have been if the books matched what he said :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'm sure that's been up for sale before. Don't recognise the photo particularly but the description sounds familiar.

Japan, Africa and Australia all had 2wd versions of the 80 series. The 'Snow' designation meant factory winch, snorkel and diff locks and sported a 'Snow Edition' sticker under the bonnet.

It was on ebay for a good while before xmas which makes me wonder how many have already walked away .

A quick google investigation suggests they just act like a clutch at the hub so everything should work as normal but your wheels are detached from the drivetrain , I don't have the knowledge or lingo to know if I'm reading that right but it would be a good thing if I am . Can anyone say yea or nay ?

I've had them on a mk3 Hilux and a Fourtrak before. Without doubt the most annoying piece of kit of all time. Usual employment (for me at least)
1. drive into muddy hole (in 2wd)
2. get stuck
3. engage transfer lever
4. get 'stucker'
5. get cross
6. remember you need to lock the hubs
7. wade around in the mud and engage hubs, invariably in leaking wellies in a rush in the dark and involving some form of slipping +/- falling
8. drive out of said hole (usually)
9. continue about your business cursing the wonder of 'part time 4wd'

Please bear in mind I'm not a 4x4 person, I just use the extra traction it allows to drive across fields etc. Since I got my 80 I've only used the diff lockers in 'anger' twice, but I must say even without them it is a very capable vehicle. The hilux used to get stuck constantly unles there was weight in the bed. And then it would get stuck in if there was TOO MUCH weight in the bed (like a bale of silage).
During the bad snow of 2011 I got stuck in it in a gateway in the snow with a bale on the back and had to spend an hour pulling the bale of chopped silage out of the back with my (numb) bare hands in the dark in -12C so I could get home.
The 80 in fairness to it cruises in and out of a couple of spots in high box, no CDL engaged, that used to challenge the hilux in better conditions.

I get what your saying Yogi that's why I would like to know if I can just lock them and forget about it , I'm not likely to get caught out as you describe coz I have to find mud to play in so unlocked would be for motorways and locked for play days or maybe snow if I ever get any .

I can't see the 2wd versions of the 80 series having a center diff as such. The add mentions 2 OE difflocks, not 3. It'll more likely be just a bevel gear drive to the front prop, as in old series land rovers, Suzuki SJ's etc so you can't use it on road without transmission wind up. You could leave the hubs locked permanently without engaging 4wd but this would mean the front wheels would be turning the front diff/propshaft so would negate any wear and economy benefits of the 2wd setup.

Last edited:
Thanks Towpack that helps clarify what I should be asking him .

They do have a centre and rear locker but no front if I remember right. A guy I know has one.

This truck was forsale a little while back. Can't remember the price though.

I ran for several months with no front prop, diff, axles at all. Total 2 wheel drive and my economy over that period was worse. On the motorway I can't see how it would be any different but around town etc you won't be getting that push and pull effect for the 4x4 system. I certainly did notice a difference pulling away. One of the greatest strengths of the 80 IMO is the centre transfer box and the VC. My grey one doesn't have that and I missed it in the recent snow. Having said that it was still fantastic. But the VC in my other 80's give better straight line stability when it's slippery

From Towpack and Chris' posts above, I'd steer well away. Despite yogi's attempts to put some humour into this, I can imagine the frustration of slithering about in the mud trying to manually lock hubs with freezing slimy hands, when the hubs themselves may not be so willing to oblige due to only being locked up once in a blue moon.

The 80, as we know it, is a breeze, it either sails through 85% of obstructions without you even knowing it, another 10% by the press of a button to engage CDL, and the remaining 5% dealt with by the turn of a knob for front/rear lockers or the low lever, as appropriate.

A winch will be the insurance policy against any "all else fails" situations.

Well adding to that I'd say that it's not just about mud plugging. You may intend never to go off road. But with a vehicle approaching 3 tonnes full laden with fuel, water and gear on roads of the type found across the globe, being in 2x4 you could find yourself facing the wrong way on a wet Moroccan roundabout, icy Alpine hair pin etc or even just stuck in a soft verge in the Lakes. You will struggle to find someone to pull you out. I genuinely don't see 2x4 as a useful option if it robs the vehicle of its natural capabilities. It has a fantastic balance in the perm 4x4 set up and I'd not want to be without that

I can't see the 2wd versions of the 80 series having a center diff as such. The add mentions 2 OE difflocks, not 3. It'll more likely be just a bevel gear drive to the front prop, as in old series land rovers, Suzuki SJ's etc so you can't use it on road without transmission wind up. You could leave the hubs locked permanently without engaging 2wd but this would mean the front wheels would be turning the front diff/propshaft so would negate any wear and economy benefits of the 2wd setup.
The 80 without full time 4wd came as standard in most markets with just a driveflange on the front hubs, and without a diff in the transfer box. That way you could not disconnect the front prop, and just move the little lever to engage the fronts. That would give binding on firm ground, but very OK on gravel, snow, etc.
Some models/markets came with the manually lockable front hubs, so that you could disengage the front prop and diff altogether. This was the standard for many company-fleets of cruisers.
There is also a version of auto locking front hubs, where the hubs would engage when the prop started turning the shafts, and disengage if the hubs where driving the prop. Not very common tho, but it was available as an extra.
Depending on the market, the 80's with part time 4wd would have front and rear locker, or rear only.

The fleet of 80s in the UN Middle East in the 90s had manually lock front hubs and F/R diff locks, except for the newer ones which had flanges up front (a result of learning the hard way). The manual front hubs would normally stay locked all the time, but of course when you needed it the most, some wise-guy had turned the dials to "unlock".

Well adding to that I'd say that it's not just about mud plugging. You may intend never to go off road. But with a vehicle approaching 3 tonnes full laden with fuel, water and gear on roads of the type found across the globe, being in 2x4 you could find yourself facing the wrong way on a wet Moroccan roundabout, icy Alpine hair pin etc or even just stuck in a soft verge in the Lakes. You will struggle to find someone to pull you out. I genuinely don't see 2x4 as a useful option if it robs the vehicle of its natural capabilities. It has a fantastic balance in the perm 4x4 set up and I'd not want to be without that

:text-yeahthat:

I had a couple of Suzy SJs with free wheeling hubs, I ended up just leaving them locked all the time, there was no discernable difference to fuel consumption. The only time they are useful on a part time 4x4 is if you want to reverse a trailer in low ratio you can use the FWH to disconect the front drive so you don't get transmission wind up.

I'm gonna pass on that one for sure I've hammered the net trying to shed some light on it and I'm left non the wiser , I can only assume some Jap kid got it as a 2wd and has spent a bloody fortune trying to turn it into a proper cruiser . Shame though coz I'm now looking to Nissan to replace the Mrs car .

Last edited:
Back