Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wheel refurb......

IMO powder coating is hugely over rated . Motorbikes with a steel frame are usually powder coated and every joint quickly shows signs of rust . But if you strip it down and give it a good going over with a wire brush in your drill (thus creating a good key for paint to adhere to) , use all-in-one primer undercoat twice , Then the topcoat will last for years without showing rust .

Using oil based paint is the only trick involved , oil based paint is just waxoil that goes hard , what could possibly be better for preventing rust ?

Motorbikes with a steel frame are usually powder coated and every joint quickly shows signs of rust

Most of the bikes I've worked on over the last 20 years or so are painted as a factory finish, be they steel framed or other material. Any frame powdercoated that is showing signs of rust even after a few years clearly wasn't done properly.

The problem is usually that doing it properly takes time and effort, so many don't bother.

Last edited:
Most of the bikes I've worked on over the last 20 years or so are painted as a factory finish, be they steel framed or other material. Any frame powdercoated that is showing signs of rust even after a few years clearly wasn't done properly.

The problem is usually that doing it properly takes time and effort, so many don't bother.

I agree. It's all about the prep work and what you don't see.

Just spoke with a nice chap called Roy.

He said, £25 per 17 inch rim.

Bring the bare rim.

Have them back no later than a week.

£125 for 5 isn't a bad price, several different colours available, see when we get there.

Gra.

Just spoke with a nice chap called Roy.

He said, £25 per 17 inch rim.

Bring the bare rim.

Have them back no later than a week.

£125 for 5 isn't a bad price, several different colours available, see when we get there.

Gra.

That's cheap if it's any good. I'm currently having mine done and paying £40 +vat for loose wheels although I have to say the finish is excellent. They also offer a same day, drive in, drive out service for an extra £30 per vehicle but they're so busy at present that there's quite a wait. I was going to take this route but decided to get them done 1 at a time instead.

Did you go to Metal Magic? they did my 100 wheels, They went from this:-

IMG_0306_zpscd7f2245.jpg

to this:-

IMG_0379_zpsb8272fcf.jpg

for £40+VAT at Metal Magic. The finish is 1st class considering how pitted they were.

All 5:-

IMG_0380_zpse767c78f.jpg

Andy

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back