Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

Some shiny exhaust bits turned up, they're about the length of the cats :whistle:

20180906_173133.jpg

Replaced the rear body mount on the colorado. Had to undo both sides to get enough space between body and chassis to get the old 1 out. So my advice is, replace both sides at the same time.

Its cured the banging thats been bugging me for the past few weeks so im a happy chappy

20180912_125728.jpg

Replaced the small bulbs behind the air con/heater control panel with some green LED’s. Two of the three had gone so the difference is very noticeable. Only issue is they don’t dim like the small filament bulbs did but not that bothered to be honest.
Also found 2” of water in the driver’s footwell this morning, courtesy of prolonged torrential rain and a blocked (again) sill drain slot. They seem to block really easy. Think I’ll leave the front drain plugs out from now on. What were Toyota thinking when they decided to have the sunroof drains empty into the sills? Just seems such a daft idea when they could just extend the drain tubes another few inches to exit the vehicle completely!

Treated the 120 to a present yesterday :-

IMG_1517.JPG

The original was not dire but past its best.
Also changed the oil, it had done 3K since I last changed it ( when I got it) but I like a clean engine. I'm using 10/40 long drain mineral oil as we have a lot left and can't use it in the more modern trucks. Another couple of changes and it should really clean the internals of the engine.
Also covered the complete underside and chassis with motorcycle chain lube, its a bit of a sticky mess but, as I found with the black Collie it stays where it should. The benefit of this will only be recognized in years to come when it either will be in the condition it is now ( well better than average) or I will find I wasted my time.

View attachment 149803

Also changed the oil, it had done 3K since I last changed it ( when I got it) but I like a clean engine. I'm using 10/40 long drain mineral oil as we have a lot left and can't use it in the more modern trucks. Another couple of changes and it should really clean the internals of the engine.
Also covered the complete underside and chassis with motorcycle chain lube, its a bit of a sticky mess but, as I found with the black Collie it stays where it should. The benefit of this will only be recognized in years to come when it either will be in the condition it is now ( well better than average) or I will find I wasted my time.
Are they available via ebay ? The one on mine is not at its best...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

View attachment 149803

do you have to remove it to do an oil change or does it have a cutout for the drain plug and oil filter drain tube .

do you have to remove it to do an oil change or does it have a cutout for the drain plug and oil filter drain tube .

It has access for oil change and filter tube. TBF I drained the oil while the guard was off.

Are they available via ebay ? The one on mine is not at its best...

I bought it from TBR. I ordered it 31/7 and it came this Thurs. It was £250 delivered. If I was buying similar again I wouldn't deal with them, their communication is very slow and 2 months delivery??? not good enough.

It has access for oil change and filter tube. TBF I drained the oil while the guard was off.

I bought it from TBR. I ordered it 31/7 and it came this Thurs. It was £250 delivered. If I was buying similar again I wouldn't deal with them, their communication is very slow and 2 months delivery??? not good enough.
Jeeez! Thats a long wait, Is that the going price ? seems a bit steep, ....

I guess thats the price,I bet its cheaper than a n OEM part from Mr T.though. TBH I've sold a lot of stuff recently so I figured its just like swapping one Cruiser bit for another. I had a set on the Collie and got them cheap so I guess it balances it out. I wouldn't hold out for some S/H coming up though to save money.

That seems to be the going price for skid plates where ever you see them on ebay , I have been thinking if I replace mine in the future , I will go to a steel fabricator with the old ones and get them to make me a sturdy set made as its only a two peace setup on mine , over here its easier to get them made than buying abroad and paying high posting fee , and plenty steel/aluminium fabricators here . its common practice here to have things custom made .

I paid about £100 to get some fabbed up for my 95 in Morocco. They're not pretty no laser cut holes or anything but very solid

I paid about £100 to get some fabbed up for my 95 in Morocco. They're not pretty no laser cut holes or anything but very solid
Thats what you need them to be , better than flimsy but nice to look at like the lc120 ones I think mine are only 1.5 mm thick at most .

I guess its like buying time, 2 mins to buy, 20 mins to fit. No sourcing a fabbi, measuring, discussing custom features and half a days gone at least and it looks good.

Also covered the complete underside and chassis with motorcycle chain lube, its a bit of a sticky mess but, as I found with the black Collie it stays where it should.

That’s a good idea with the chain lube Andy. The stuff I use on the dirt bike chain doesn’t wash off under some pretty hostile conditions. Even if I put the bike away wet the chain remains rust free, plus the small amount of fling-off on the rear wheel takes some shifting, such are its adhesion properties.

I guess its like buying time, 2 mins to buy, 20 mins to fit. No sourcing a fabbi, measuring, discussing custom features and half a days gone at least and it looks good.

I was having some welding done anyway so the truck was at the workshop for the day. They just copied the old OEM one out of thicker steel.

Didn’t really cost me any time and hanging out at the workshop talking to other overlanders is always fun

Well valve cover off today, injectors out and compression tested, found number 4 piston to have less than 100 psi, the rest all more than 500 psi.
It's back to work tomorrow so next week it's going to be head off time.

Working through the havoc wreaked by Russia's countryside. Finally got the upper control arms off. Man they were tight. Even with heat, they didn't want to budge.

No wonder I was getting a bit of shunting going on. Got some quality bushes to go in. None of the bushes that I got with my EFS suspension (SuperPro) seem to have suffered at all. All the ones that are stuffed are some other make.

Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 15.50.36.jpg

Working through the havoc wreaked by Russia's countryside. Finally got the upper control arms off. Man they were tight. Even with heat, they didn't want to budge.

No wonder I was getting a bit of shunting going on. Got some quality bushes to go in. None of the bushes that I got with my EFS suspension (SuperPro) seem to have suffered at all. All the ones that are stuffed are some other make.

View attachment 149999

Had a major issue getting the left rear stabilizer bar off to replace the bushes not long ago Chris. The right side proves to be extremely differculy with everything thrown at it including heat. In the end the housing was torn and had to wield it back.

Goes to show anything can happen unexpectedly. Good to see you making progress.

Back