Who is doing what maintenance today?

Grimbo

I am in great_britain
Dec 3, 2016
Decided to fix the sagging nets on the back of the front seats .....

Back is held on by 2 self tapping screws and clips.....

Simple job to then remove the one time use trim clips and remove the U shaped plastic net retaining frame and fit some new shock cord........ NOT ;-)

10 minutes of stabbing fingers with sharp spikey picks and screwdrivers and I had removed 3 of them and lost a finger or two's worth of blood .

There is an easier way..... remove the top 2 clips from the U by prising up and then cutting the clip with a pair of small side cutters....(you will need a good pair as the clips are hard) this allows just enough room to pull the U away from the seat and thread in a new piece of shock cord ....stick the knots on the end back in the U with a glue gun as originally done then stick the pins poking through the seat back with the glue gun instead of using the same type of clips previously removed ... refit seat backs ....

First one was a struggle .... second using above technique took 5 mins ...... and I now have lovely non saggy seat back nets that will be covered up when my new Escape Gear seat covers arrive next week .... oh well at least I'll know they're there .

Don't like the adverts? Remove them by becoming a supporting member.   Click here

flint

Supporter
Mar 11, 2014
Replaced exhaust back box section on the 81 yesterday, had to drop the Panhard rod and lift body a little bit due to Long Ranger tank getting in the way. Used a ratchet strap to realign the Panhard bush and body mount.

Reactions: karl2000

Josh Tagg

I am in uk
Apr 21, 2017
Replaced water pump on the 80, bit more of an involved job than I thought. Timing belt off, cam gear off then front cover off. Not Toyota's best idea. Also replaced n/s/r calliper as siezed and the pads while I was there.

chadr

I am in england
Mar 19, 2010
Watford, Herts - but can usually be found in the w
Garage
Funnily enough I was trying to do that (as part of a bigger job trying to patch my porous diff case - anyway that's still a work in progress).

When you say "freed up" - how can you tell?

The cap was still free/loose and actually came off - though I have no idea on the state of the breather as it's stuck solid and I can't remove it.

karl2000

Supporter
I am in great_britain
Apr 27, 2020
Maybe I just mean the cap? When its free the top will spin freely and can move up and down slightly. Mine was solid and didn't move at all...

Reactions: chadr
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks