Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

You have certainly had your monies worth from the AA policy Sag , think i might get the same for Helens truck before the clock hits 100k in about 1600 miles , do you think they will accept it for warranty insurance ?
Hi Shayne,yeh definitely worth the money,costs £36 a month for 2 cars and that's full AA cover and stay mobile so they give me a people carrier for 3 days and just pay £35 excess when I make a claim,and my motor is on 174000 and no probs with claims.the Rac are under 100,000 I think but AA never asked and had a couple of claims now.

Been busy with work and sorting things at home so haven't done a lot to the truck.
last weekend I did fit some pedder standard height springs, these do exactly as they say on the tin with regard to heights the truck sits at. I haven't towed anything since they have been fitted yet but it does feel better running around this week. They are matched with koni shocks as they were already on the truck.
i also bought some led lights for the tailgate from mud. They are also as everyone else who has them have said, seem to be very good with a good spread of light when dark.
Also went mad with the meguires Polish on both my truck and the lc3 I bought at the end of last year. image.jpgimage.jpg
Cheers, Markimage.jpgimage.jpg

Week three rebuilding my TLC and am getting frustrated with stereo electronics. Wiring has been stripped of factory fixtures and is completely unlabelled so spent the morning hunting down wiring diagrams for the model I'm replacing, only to then realise that the replacement stereo I've bought doesn't fit the steering controls. Need to make a decision on where to store jerries: Roof Rack or Rear Carrier... Any thoughts?

New shocks, rebuilt hand brake, spare tire winch lift, and the beginnings of a respray. Everything chrome, gold or otherwise shiny is becoming black. Ditched the damage-enhancement running boards, and tonight it goes into the shop for a new windshield. Note - almost all the negative stereotypes of rural American car shops are true. But... they do work for damned cheap. $200 for a new windshield and $40 total for installation.
11117715_10205829004998769_1900995030_n.jpg

Edited to add: And oh yeah, I did the $5 CDL button modification. I can now simply terrorize snow. Especially once I put better tires on this toboggan.

Last edited:
looking Good Mark.

What size tyres are you running on the LC3?

Thanks for the comment silver cruiser , tyres are 265/70/17. They were on it when I bought it. I am still learning about the lc3 but it does look like you can't get much bigger tyre on the standard wheel.

Cheers, Mark

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I bought 5 new General Grabber A/T2s for Marjan. Now he really looks "right". Funny thing; at the tire place, the technicians a) called it a "jeep". b) Asked me if it were a 4Runner and c) Asked me how much all the wicked suspension mods cost. Note: the suspension is box stock Series 80 Land Cruiser, but they could not imagine that a "jeep" could come like that, stock.

11291236_10205874909426351_48214229_n.jpg

11282125_10205874905786260_1589876266_n.jpg

You'll like the GGAT2s Drew, they wear well, good on the black wet or dry, and very capable on the loose and mild mud conditions, a great performer all round.

I've been running the same set for the last 4 years (about 40k km) and can't seem to wear them out.

Only one downside, the sidewall's are susceptible to rock damage, lost 2 so far offroad for that reason.

You'll like the GGAT2s Drew, they wear well, good on the black wet or dry, and very capable on the loose and mild mud conditions, a great performer all round.

I've been running the same set for the last 4 years (about 40k km) and can't seem to wear them out.

Only one downside, the sidewall's are susceptible to rock damage, lost 2 so far offroad for that reason.

That's good to hear. I like the fact that they are apparently amazing in snow as well. I've heard that about the sidewalls, but I think I can be judicious in my driving and live with them.

I just got back from the automotive store, and installed high intensity LEDs in as back up lights. I received a new, uncracked right rear tail light assembly (Jerry is death on cracked tail lights) and noticed that both back up lights looked slightly smoked, so just went ahead and put in LEDs. Wow, what a difference in light intensity!

Right now my ass is dragging. I've been jetting back and forth across the globe since December, and the tempo is not slowing down a bit. I am going to spend the rest of the day nursing some vodka and whatever this bug is I have.

Last edited:
Fitted new front discs today along with new pads obviously. Checked the pads a couple of weeks ago prior the the MOT and they were barely half worn and the disc surfaces were fine but the discs thickness was down to 28mm from 32mm when new. Min thickness is 30mm according to FSM. Braking performance was unaffected. I reckon they were the original discs but couldn't see any identifying marks or numbers on them. What was more alarming was the state of the vent webbing between the two disc surfaces. Some of the webs were almost completely gone having rusted through. Piles of rust fell out when using the mallet to assist disc/hub separation. A couple of sticky pistons which required freeing off along with a wheel bearing repack and a very stubborn LH disc that refused to part with the hub meant it took me most of the day. Went for the Milners discs with their ceramic pads. They were noticeably heavier than the originals but this must be partly down the the wear/corrosion of old items.

Eventually the discs will shear in two. Dont ask me how i know...

Today I decided to paint it blue....

11289781_10205893204203709_1489440261_n.jpg

Shot it with International Klein Blue tractor paint out of an HVLP turbine. Decided to leave the various body dings in it rather than screwing around with putty and sanding. I call it "an industrial finish".

Well washed the interior today and got to admit it looks like new again now,too dark for pics but will get some up tomorrow.also need to try and see if they do the bit of handbrake wire separate the bit what goes inside the drum to the arm as its broke and making a right noise if anybody can help I'd be appreciated.
thanks Shaun

Finished product. Even enlisted my lovely bride to detail and touch up the paint around the mouldings. Unfortunately, the grille had some adherence issues, so back to the spray booth with it.

11291917_10205904049634838_1035372025_n.jpg
11297725_10205904046274754_255111499_n.jpg
11329676_10205904045514735_1292965292_n.jpg
11256448_10205904185238228_2010075175_n.jpg

Unexciting things on the 4Runner yesterday; had to change the oil... need to sort the brakes out though, but that'll go to a mate who is a mechanic.

On the other hand, wife (Delz) got a motorbike during the week....

11246586_10152847949028202_2202287725279886470_n.jpg

11218877_10152847949153202_5436869800752231467_n.jpg

1991 Yamaha XT600, ex Australian Army with an Acerbis long range tank; even came with rego until Spetember! Scarily Learner Legal, so Delz is on her Green P's already! Only needs a few bits sorting; needed a new tyre, so Delz found one for $100 instead of $160 (had only done a short distance and was then swapped for something more aggresive) and we spent a bit yesterday fitting that.... we pinched one tube (of course, brand new), so we refitted the old one... and did that one as well; think we also tightened the valve stem too much. Still needs some locks... squaddies can't be trusted with keys, so no ignition lock nor a locking fuel cap. We're working on that as well, fuel cap is $50 or so, whilst the ignition barrel is a bit more of a challenge; need to sort out the loom a bit more and then we can go somewhere with it. There's also a bad earth that needs sorting out, as the indicators cause the headlight to dim.

Back