Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

100 VX TD Does not Start

scalci

Hi Guys

I got my 100 VX TD a few weeks back, last night driving home, it just cut out, dash lights came on, and i could restart it. A few KM's down, it did it again and could not restart it.

full diesel tank
Engine does crank
It sounds like no diesel, I took the pipes of at the filter, when i pump die manual,pump there is diesel coming out.
Checked wires, all seems fine
checked all fuses, all fine

Anything anyone can think of?

The filter you checked ... was it in the fuel tank?

The ECU might know what's wrong. I'd start by checking if there's a fault code, either at a dealer or by using the method in the FSM to make the light flash the code. It could be the spill control valve which is known to give problems sometimes but can be upgraded.

Sounds like an electronic fault more than anything else. If I had to guess I'd say the fuel pump spill control valve which could possibly be stuck close. I had this problem and my cruiser would shut down on me at speeds.

Agree with reading codes.
If it has anything to do with the SPC, it is known to develop bad connection in the plug on the early years of the 100 (98-2002/3). Easy to fix.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
well I took it to diesel experts, they said it is the cut our switch on the pump. While they where at this, I asked them to look at the injectors and pump, as I have 400k on the clock. They overhauled the injectors and pump.

Got the LC back, drove it for a week and it does,it again. What we found is that it looks like the diesel pump gets too hot, then it cuts out. when you cool the pump off, cool it with water, the LC start as usual and you can drive a while and then cut out again....

We have not found the issue yet, any ideas anyone?

Best
Scalci

Sounds like an electronic fault more than anything else. If I had to guess I'd say the fuel pump spill control valve which could possibly be stuck close. I had this problem and my cruiser would shut down on me at speeds.

where is this valve you talking about?

where is this valve you talking about?

It's on the top of the IP. The wiring loom plugs in here and the plug itself develops a loose connection over time. If you take the insulation casing off the pump and give it a wiggle, it should start!

Got my LC back today, they fitted a new diesel pump, lets see if this solves the problem ( the new pump was on their account :) )

Got my LC back today, they fitted a new diesel pump, lets see if this solves the problem ( the new pump was on their account :) )

Thank goodness for that! Let's hope the problem is solved, but it's strange they went for the most expensive part first, especially when they were paying!

They had it for a few days testing everything and could not find any issue. What did happen, when it cuts out and you cool the pump of by throwing water over it, it starts and drive for a few kms.....

It's on the top of the IP. The wiring loom plugs in here and the plug itself develops a loose connection over time. If you take the insulation casing off the pump and give it a wiggle, it should start!

You dont have a photo perhaps of this?

Back