Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1995 Jap Import

warrenpfo

Well after a fun drive back from Bristol having been strong armed into going to view a Jap Import 1995 80 series I am now its new owner. :dance:

IMG_2770.jpgIMG_2768.jpg

She is in not bad condition but needs some work. I plan on driving her for a couple of weeks to get the hang of things and then start to give her a good service from axel re builds to sorting out a leak or too.

I have no oil pressure :doh:at all so need to look at the sender or the gauge and the fuel gauge does not work as it shows full all the time, the PO did not mention this so was driving along the motorway and got quite a surprise when the reserve light came on with a full tank showing. :shock:

I will post some more pictures later in the day with a few more pictures of some things I would like to question.

Its the "vacation" model so has a few funny bits.

IMG_2784.jpgIMG_2783.jpgIMG_2781.jpgIMG_2782.jpg

Nice 80. I quite like the storage unit

Looking good Warren, I like the storage unit, very retro.

The unit is going to be the first thing that goes on eBay, not my idea of styling but yes very retro.

Wouldn't fit in mine I already have drawers in the back or I would have had it.

Wouldn't fit in mine I already have drawers in the back or I would have had it.

I was thinking the same, don't think it'd work when I've got the spare in the boot though.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Nice motor, trust it all is as expected, I had a similar model first thing I did was to get rid of the mirror on the wing....

Some questions.

I have a few things on my list of things to do on the cruiser and wanted to ask for some help. First which of the below is most urgent and which can wait:

No oil pressure registering on the gauge
The fuel gauge constantly reads full
The front swivels need a good overhaul, I have been told it could fail an MOT because of this but not certain. Whilst in there shall i do a complete rebuild and a rough cost would be great. please see below
IMG_2810.jpgIMG_2809.jpg

It would seem the rocker cover gasket needs to be replaced, see pictures of weeping.
IMG_2797.jpgIMG_2796.jpg
I will check the torque on the bolt to make sure but if its to be replaced should i do anything whilst it is off?

I have a weep from what i think is the steering pump but not sure. Its passenger side bottom of the engine and towards the back...bulkhead. Here is a pic looking up at it.

photo.JPG

There is a weep on what looks like a sender at the back of the transfer box, pics below. I think it might just be a crush washer that needs replacing but open to hear of what you think.

IMG_2801.jpgIMG_2800.jpg

There is also a weep on the bottom of the engine on the pan??

IMG_2802.jpg
Is there a gasket in there as i guess i need to do it when i drain the oil.

Oh and there seem to be a weep but cant see how at the bottom of the starter where i think the +pos bolts on. I can only think it is running down the wire but just thought I would ask. What you think it might be??

Once again a pic looking up at the bottom of the starter

IMG_2804.jpg

More to come I am sure but just want to make a start on things.

Hi Warren, mine was the Active Vacation version, never did know what it meant, lol, you must have oil pressure otherwise it would have gone bang on your way back up the M4, I'd be putting a temporary mechanical gauge in just to see what pressure you have for peace of mind, looks good otherwise.

The bit I can answer.... I wouldn't fail those swivels on mot, it's old grease/muck. Clean it off if going for mot before overhaul if tester is a bit tight.

Those two sender things are the speedometer and the oil level float switch.

I'd get a steam clean on those to save you having to scrape it all off.

Hi Warren, mine was the Active Vacation version, never did know what it meant, lol, you must have oil pressure otherwise it would have gone bang on your way back up the M4, I'd be putting a temporary mechanical gauge in just to see what pressure you have for peace of mind, looks good otherwise.

Thanks, I know the oil pressure gauge and sender can play up and the engine did not skip a beat so im not overly concerned but will order a new sender and see how it goes.

Is a sender a toyota order part or one off ebay?? Happy to pay the extra if its considered best practice for this part.

The bit I can answer.... I wouldn't fail those swivels on mot, it's old grease/muck. Clean it off if going for mot before overhaul if tester is a bit tight.

Thanks Gary its due end of April but will head out as soon as I can to give myself enough time for a retest.

Those two sender things are the speedometer and the oil level float switch.

I'd get a steam clean on those to save you having to scrape it all off.

Thanks Chris is it just a crush washer off the speedo and can i do it without having to empty the box?

AND

The same applies for the oil level float but assume its a gasket or just some gasket gumgum. ??

Bravo Warren, looks like a good one! The gauges sounds like a bad earth to me, on the dash somewhere, but I'm guessing.

The weep from the transfer box sender looks like the sender itself leaking, as opposed to the connection to the casing.

A good buy anyway, I just love 80s! :thumbup:

If you jack one side up Warren, I'd think you could change the float switch, well clean and seal it. Might still be too high inside given there is 10 l of processed dinosaur in there. But do it when you drop the oil next time. Think there is a little gasket. But RTV sealed mine just fine. Speedo - errm, I think is an O ring, but just tighten it first. It unscrews.

Wouldn't worry too much about the oil gauge. Mine on the silver one has never worked. Ii have tried 3 senders and replaced the gauge in the dash and it still doesn't work. I bought a full oil pressure testing kit. Screwed it in and the pressure was bang on where it should be.

Bravo Warren, looks like a good one! The gauges sounds like a bad earth to me, on the dash somewhere, but I'm guessing.

The weep from the transfer box sender looks like the sender itself leaking, as opposed to the connection to the casing.

A good buy anyway, I just love 80s! :thumbup:

Clive Thanks very much. Thats some bloody good guessing there as the speedo unit was changed many years back and I think a bodge job was done as some of the lights dont work and it just feels like a good place to start.

If you jack one side up Warren, I'd think you could change the float switch, well clean and seal it. Might still be too high inside given there is 10 l of processed dinosaur in there. But do it when you drop the oil next time. Think there is a little gasket. But RTV sealed mine just fine. Speedo - errm, I think is an O ring, but just tighten it first. It unscrews.

Wouldn't worry too much about the oil gauge. Mine on the silver one has never worked. Ii have tried 3 senders and replaced the gauge in the dash and it still doesn't work. I bought a full oil pressure testing kit. Screwed it in and the pressure was bang on where it should be.

Thanks Chris, the oil is top of the list and will be done next weekend as soon as i can get a few things from Simon. Out of interest where did you get the oil pressure test kit from as it might be worth just checking it properly then at least i know.

e-bay Warren. That's all I can remember. If you were closer you could have borrowed it. But I think it was only £45 which for peace of mind is really a bargain. Stick it back on e bay when you've done with it.

Roughtrax sell the speedo sender by the way. Milner sell oil pressure senders too. Check the two connection on the top of the sender first. But like I say, I have chased mine for ages and never found out why it doesn't work. Everything else does. The gauge works if you put 12v across it btw.

Will check thanks Chris. Any idea on what I think is the steering pump although it's the otherwise of the engine from the steering wheel. Only reason I ask is that the steering is a little vague at best and the steering wheel moves a good 15% before the wheels start to move which at speed is a little funky.

Thanks a ton. I still need confirmation it is the steering unit I have in the picture and then why it might be leaking??

Your link will sort out the vague ness I hope.

Back