Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

An Ultra slow Ultra4 build

Well I have the design for the mounts nailed down, just sorting out some laser cutting and then it'll be time to make em.

This is the idea (blatantly copied from the inter web)

cf6c8e000a70d59951ee06200ed9e264.jpg

a72d97c3c4f97f0d3c12a8684aa5be14.jpg

9cc59e4c003b8c2bfc4eae6abf5fac4b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great site dude. Lots of useful bits on their for good value.

Well, progress has been slow. No workshop time last weekend due to SWAMBO's Bday. I was back at it today. The gearbox is now fully assembled, t/case is 90% done. Just a few cover plates to get on and a new seal for the front output shaft which I forgot to order previously :doh:

The laser cut profiles for the engine and gearbox mounts should be with me early next week so I'll be able to get crack on with that next weekend. I did received the tube sections that will house the bushes, so getting there slowly but surely.

FullSizeRender.jpg

This is the plan for the gearbox mount
R150F Transmission mount Rev0 v15.jpg

So all being well by the end of next weekend the motor and gearbox will be in fitted to the vehicle, and then it'll be onto the wiring...

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 359
Received a delivery from the laser cutter last night...:icon-cool:

These are the motor mounts:

FullSizeRender.jpgIMG_1961.JPGIMG_1966.JPG

Gearbox Mount:

IMG_1962.JPGIMG_1965.JPG

And for good measure I had a new set of castor correction plates cut for my 80, the last set i had cut were done on a plasma cutter and weren't great. These are 5mm plate, last set were 4mm, and this time I have also had spacers cut to weld onto them

IMG_1964.JPG

Anyone have a good recommendation for somewhere to have these zinc plated once I have finished welding them up?

Nice! :icon-cool:

You going to TIG or MIG the brackets together? :icon-smile:

There must be some electro platers down your way to get them plated. :think:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Going to Tig them. I don't have a MIG but I do like TIG, so precise.

Bit more progress this weekend. The gearbox and t/case are officially complete.

9f5f5159e3f4610e791275c3ff408724.jpg

Gearbox mount is done.

e69a8798be9b09c50b58615225618692.jpg

In hindsight I should have made the base plate a bit wider. Welding that close to the edge was a bit awkward.

As are the engine mounts

7baad98af6f4b83ba51af27dc6a2dea8.jpg

f712fc22b2b162f8c845261e31482592.jpg

Next weekend I need to replace the rear main seal on the 3UZ and then I can install the flywheel, clutch and get the gearbox mated to the motor.

Last edited:
Nice work. :thumbup:

One thing I regret not doing on my build while the engine was out, was not getting the flywheel machined. It looked OK visually but my clutch is a bit juddery some times when letting it out. Getting it machined wouldn't cost much, so I'd definitely recommend getting it done! :think:

Hey Ben, Thanks!

Flywheel and pressure plate have already been off to have the starter ring gear fitted and balanced. Had a crowd called Truckfix do it. Would highly recommend them to anyone needing clutches or flywheels. They said they flywheel was in good shape, and already balanced. So looks like the KS Racing kit turned out to be a good buy.

Any updates on the build Ryan? :icon-biggrin:

I've just re-read this entire thread as I'm now seriously considering dropping one of these Lexus V8's into my RJ70 project.

I'm thinking I could then use it for a few years like that, then when I eventually drop the soft top body onto LJ, I could then use the chassis, engine and running gear to turn into a rock crawler of my own, similar to this build but I'm thinking of using a Jimny body instead. :think:

Do you have a link to the bell housing you bought?

I've had a search on ebay but couldn't find it. :thumbup:

So progress has been super slow. I had the steering shimmy to chase down on my 80 series which took a couple of weekends to resolve and then a short break away to appease the wife. Like they say happy wife, happy life. Right...

Anyway I decided to cut out the mounts I made up for engine and plate the chassis rails. I'll be kicking myself own the line if the mounts fail. But first I decided to fab up a welding trolley. I recently invested in a MIG set and soon became frustrated with hauling that and the TIG set around my workshop.
IMG_2632_zpsgci5cj5t.jpg

Anyway, onto the chassis plating. So a bit of work with the plasma cutter and a drill I came up with this:

IMG_2656_zpstombrfso.jpg

Then proceeded to TIG weld it in place, which was somewhat awkward with no where to rest my hand so not the neatest TIG work I have done.
IMG_2658_zpsjpm454sa.jpg
IMG_2659_zpscfon8wog.jpg

I haven't done the other rail yet, thats this coming weekends mission. I am thinking the MIG may be the easier choice from a weld position point of view, what do you guys think?

Any updates on the build Ryan? :icon-biggrin:

I've just re-read this entire thread as I'm now seriously considering dropping one of these Lexus V8's into my RJ70 project.

I'm thinking I could then use it for a few years like that, then when I eventually drop the soft top body onto LJ, I could then use the chassis, engine and running gear to turn into a rock crawler of my own, similar to this build but I'm thinking of using a Jimny body instead. :think:

Do you have a link to the bell housing you bought?

I've had a search on ebay but couldn't find it. :thumbup:

Hey Ben,

Progress has been slow but should be picking up again soon. I bought the bell housing kit from a company on ebay, they are based in Thailand, called KS Racing. I had a quick look and didn't see any listed on ebay...

I'll have a dig around and see what I can find.

Reactions: Ben
Mig is definitely the tool of choice for that kind of work. Tig is better for neat bench work in my eyes.

Coming along nicely there Ryan.

Did you do the cad drawings yourself? What program did you get and how easy is it to use?

Mig is definitely the tool of choice for that kind of work. Tig is better for neat bench work in my eyes.

Coming along nicely there Ryan.

Did you do the cad drawings yourself? What program did you get and how easy is it to use?

Hey Stu, yep did the Cad myself. I use a programme called Fusion360 (by Autodesk). I think it's pretty easy to use. What's great about it is that you can sign up as an enthusiast and get a free licence for as long as you want. You can also use it to generate G-Code for CNC machining which in my opinion is awesome.

Hey Ryan. Nice work and following with interest.

2 questions how are you finding the Rtech welder and you mentioned an 80 steering shimmy what was it in the end that was the root cause?

Thanks

Anyway, onto the chassis plating.

I haven't done the other rail yet, thats this coming weekends mission. I am thinking the MIG may be the easier choice from a weld position point of view, what do you guys think?

Looks good so far but ideally you shouldn't make the plates square/rectangle as the heat affected zone is running in a straight line vertical through the chassis.

I'm sure they will be fine in this instance but if you need to plate the chassis for any other mounts etc. a stronger way would be how they have done it below. :icon-ugeek:

(Search on Google images for "Chassis Fish Plates ")

2013-ford-f-250-project-super-dirty-part-3-fish-plates.jpg

Also having bigger holes helps as you can get a longer bead of weld in there.

Get yourself a TIG Finger then you can rest your hand right next to where you are welding. I got one for my TIG test and it was a huge help!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tig-Finge...hash=item339aeb9f97:m:m-15aA9j2ABE4c2USjn3l9w

MIG will obviously be a lot quicker but it will be no where near as strong as TIG, as with MIG you arnt getting 100% fusion like you are with TIG.

Also unless you are turning the chassis on its side for welding its also going to be tricky to get perfect welds with the MIG in the vertical up and over head positions, where as TIG seems to be almost as easy in those positions as the horizontal position, as gravity doesnt seem to affect the weld pool in the same way as it does MIG.

So my advice would be to get a TIG finger and weld the plates on with the TIG. :thumbup:

Hey Ben,

Progress has been slow but should be picking up again soon. I bought the bell housing kit from a company on ebay, they are based in Thailand, called KS Racing. I had a quick look and didn't see any listed on ebay...

I'll have a dig around and see what I can find.

Thanks mate. :thumbup:

Hey Ryan. Nice work and following with interest.

2 questions how are you finding the Rtech welder and you mentioned an 80 steering shimmy what was it in the end that was the root cause?

Thanks

Hey Warren,

i have ate been really happy with the R-Tech welders. I have the Mig and Tig set now and had a small inverter MMA(stick) set prior to buying the Tig. They have all been great and are imho good value.

Steerng shimy ended up being being caused by siezed calipers in my front breaks. There is a thread here on it... https://www.landcruiserclub.net/com...immy-at-40mph-when-on-the-brakes-help.145154/

Back