Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Anyone filtering WVO?

Have a chat with Karl Webster about his trials & tribulations with WVO Mike :cool:

Mike

How much do you luv ur LC?

Go into the kitchen and have a look at your frying pan... :? You want that on your valves, pistons and rings?

If you want to save money use very carefully made Bio, or save money and buy from Tesco's :D

btw i ur still hell bent on filtering your WVO, course filter, then use an oil centrifuge and hydraulic / gear pump to purify to sub-micron levels.

nathanrobo said:
Mike

How much do you luv ur LC?

Not much... I drive an Isuzu Trooper, all reports suggest they cope quite well as long as the injectors are kept clean.

I'm cold gravity filtering down to 1 mic then settling/dewatering. Plan was to run at about 50%, heated filter and an extra heater just before the pump in the hope of avoiding the gum. Also running an additive to improve fuel economy, keep things clean. I have been talking with people using the same setup to run 90% or more and successfully managing over 2000 miles a month (could be a bit risky judging by some other stories I have read).
My oil supplies have been a bit mixed, one leaves about 2 kilos of animal fats from 20l oil between all of the filters bar the 1 mic, another looks as clean as fresh oil bar a few crumbs and will fly straight through the 10 and 1 mic and leave nothing behind. I'm thinking of doing without the mucky stuff and trying for some more cleaner stuff.

Would've thought this would suffice for running at 50%?

Definitely worth the risk if the car is of low value. I did over 20k miles in an old citroen whilst I was perfecting my biodiesel - If I killed the car, it wasn't the end of the world!

You wouldn't want to put it in a fly-by wire injection pump though (generally after '01)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Change your tune if its not an LC then :think: ? :lol:
Its running the old 2.8 td commercial engine and are renound for soaking up the abuse.
Serviced every 3k and there's a spare motor sat on my garage floor ;) .

Regards.

Hi mike, If you want a chat about wvo give me a shout 07968389167 Put quite a lot through my trucks. Yes it may give probs, Hang on,does give probs but i could put three second hand engines in my truck a year with what i save on fuel.

Cheers karl

:thumbup: Thanks Karl.
You see any problems with my suggested setup then?

Struggling to de-water effectively at the moment, gonna try getting it a bit hotter for a bit longer.

Thanks for that adrian i will have a word with them. :thumbup:

Mike, What your doing is prob fine. I collect me oil and leave it in a ibc for about a month, This allows all the gunk etc to sink as the oil is lighter. I then pull off all the good oil from the top and transfere it into a conical 450l tank. That gravilty feeds into a pump and goes through two 20inch filters and straight into a fill up gun the same as you have when you fill up.
I do have issues like a few could tell you. I have had issues with fuel pumps mainly. The pumps on my trucks have already done a good few miles anyway before i get hold of them, So how many more miles would they have done on straight diesel??

I always get people ringing me for fuel pumps and they tell me there truck has always had diesel in it.

I used to gravity filter but i couldnt filter enough. I pay 10p pl for my oil so costs around a tenner to fill up. With a kit on it should be fine,twin tank is the better way though as starting on clean diesel is alot better than oil/diesel mix

Cheers karl

Hi Karl

Sorry for misspelling your name before iPad has an interesting way with some words....

It's most likely the glycerine from of the accumulation of animal fats in the oil you are collecting that's hitting the fuel pumps so hard? Either mixing with meth oxide to make bio diesel or I'm hoping that centrifugal cleaner could minimise your problems.

One plan is for cleaning up waste engine oil to remove all particulates to less than 1 micron and also de water it prior to mixing with regular diesel.

I know of a few that have had wvo/bio put the old pump seals through. Replace with new and no further troubles. Seems to be capable of finishing off tired seals.

adrianr said:
Hi Karl

One plan is for cleaning up waste engine oil to remove all particulates to less than 1 micron and also de water it prior to mixing with regular diesel.

Not sure that would pass with hmrc? there are only certian substances deemed passable.

Mike,

It'd be interesting to understand what you decide on this and why. Some good info though, especially centrifuging WVO can remove unwanted animal fats as well as suspended solids down to sub-micron level.

On a totally different subject I'm currently trying to fit a centrifuge to my LC's lube system to keep the oil from going black!

Hey chaps, just an update. getting on ok filtering and de-watering lost a couple of suppliers so I'll be needing to find some more.
Really struggled to get the car running in the coldest of mornings on 80% oil so I have twin tanked now using a trench rammer tank ontop of the arch in the rear bed. A lift pump now assists the injector pump getting the oil to the tank through a lekki heater and water heated filter which all improves the rev range. It will now continue to pull very nicely all the way to the red line, previously it would start to run out at the top end even on diesel. The injector pump on its own struggles to pull from the tank.

nathanrobo said:
Mike,

It'd be interesting to understand what you decide on this and why. Some good info though, especially centrifuging WVO can remove unwanted animal fats as well as suspended solids down to sub-micron level.

On a totally different subject I'm currently trying to fit a centrifuge to my LC's lube system to keep the oil from going black!

I heard recently Scanias have centrifugal cleaners on the oil system - might be able to scavenge one from a scrapper?

Back