Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

dropping a 4.2 engine in to a 70

im very close to buying a donor vehicle and extracting its engine. :dance:

will a 3litre uk 70 series KZJ70 engine bolt straight onto an LJ70 box? or do i need to change the box aswell? :)

As far as I know, the engine will mate to the box.

You will need to change engine mounts, ex. and maybe rad.

Roger

thanks Roger, i thought you might know. :)

hopefully the fuel lines, exhaust manifold, and air intake wont be far off either.

will use the rad out of the donor vehicle, as i read some where that the KZJ rad is bigger then the LJ rad. :)

Wouldn't it be easier to transplant the whole thing ..... (engine and box) .. would save any unexpected mishaps

jeepmadmike said:
(the 300tdi is basically the same but the pump has some electronic control and as most landy boys are usually cave men they don't trust such black magic!)

But I guess a 200tdi and landy box would be a "easy" fit :thumbdown:

That's not strictly right, my 300Tdi has no electronics on the pump, purely mechanical. It was only the very latest 300's that had a fly by wire throttle, the pump is still mechanical though.

300Tdi would be a better option, they're that bit newer for a start, much quieter & smoother than a 200 plus you can fit the R380 gearbox which is a vast improvement over the LT77 used on 200's.

ben said:
im very close to buying a donor vehicle and extracting its engine. :dance:

will a 3litre uk 70 series KZJ70 engine bolt straight onto an LJ70 box? or do i need to change the box aswell? :)

Do they have the same gearbox? Some L engines have the G52 and some have the R151 like the 1KZT.
It might be a case of swapping bell housings.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I was going to post that but I don't think he's looking to spend that much :lol:

The problem with just buying the lump is that it doesnt come with the ECU, which if the motor is out of a KZJ70 originally, rather than the slightly later 90, is an issue, cos they seem uber rare.

Buying the donor vehicle means it comes with it all, and gearbox in case there is an issue.

Pete

John_McCartney said:
Yup, it's the KZT engine. The KZTE as in the 3 litre Surf has an ECU. Work of the Devil!

I bought a 1KZ-Te engine and mechanical pump to my LJ-70...

... my cousin do the same but use the ECU - Electronic Pump (i dont like the PC a many cables on my toy :mrgreen: )

thanks guys. :thumbup:

im avoiding surf engines because of been told its not a staright forward easy swop, what with all the electrics and EFI etc.

its a shame really cos surfs are common and relatively cheap.

i thought id found the donor vehicle, but i wasnt quick enough and it got sold before the auction had ended. :thumbdown:

next time i will be the one sending the seller a message and getting over there quickly with a pile of cash. :twisted:

The later KZJ70's had the KZTe, which for some reason I thought this was.

Its the ecu for the KZTe fitted to the KZJ70 that is the rarity, apparently the 3.0 Surf ecu doesnt work properly because of the gearbox ratios?

I think its a thread here asking for one that I got the info from - made confusing by the part numbers, the KZJ70 ecu being very similar to the 90 part number, think two of the numbers are transposed.

Pete

wobbly said:
The later KZJ70's had the KZTe, which for some reason I thought this was.

The 1kzte didn't come to the uk until the 90 series was introduced. The jap spec KZJ70's and surfs got it though. We were stuck with mechanical injection in all the UK spec models. Not that that's a problem :)

Lulo said:
John_McCartney said:
Yup, it's the KZT engine. The KZTE as in the 3 litre Surf has an ECU. Work of the Devil!

I bought a 1KZ-Te engine and mechanical pump to my LJ-70...

... my cousin do the same but use the ECU - Electronic Pump (i dont like the PC a many cables on my toy :mrgreen: )

A soft top LJ70. Very nice and equivalent to the Bundera in Australia I would imagine.

Roger

I had a lj70 and fitted a 1kzt engine into it last year.

It was a 1kzt-e originally but it had a mechanical fuel pump and the throttle body was taken off the inlet manifold. It worked perfect.

To fit it, you have to move the engine mounts back by about 60mm. Then lower the mounts by around 20-25mm to allow the bonnet to close.

You have to use the 1kzt radiator as it fills from the top of the rad.

You need to fit the bellhousing off the 1kzt gearbox and use the kzt starter motor.

You have to change all the power steering pipes as they are the other way round kind of.

I had to make a flange to fit a 3" stainless steel side exit exhaust. Other wise on that one the exhaust points directly at the clutch pedal area of the bulkhead.

Theres a few more mods which i cant remember.

The other engines I have heard of being fitted to a lj70 is.

Mercedess 300td car engine.
Daihatsu 2.8td engine and box
Jeep VM engine fook knows why!

I did look into a toyota hj60 engine and a 80 series 4.2, no room for the radiator, too heavy, bonnet doesnt close and the suspension system is no way adequate.

If you can get a 1kzt or e you are looking at the real deal and loads of power!
If you get a 1kzt-e I think you can fit the diesel pump off an early mitsubushi 4x4.
Thats all!! :thumbup:

many thanks for the info Iwan. :thumbup:

im not to clued up on the engine codes im afraid, which toyota is a 1KZT-E fitted to?

and which one is a 1KZT fitted to?

ive been looking for a 4runner for the 3litre derv engine, but theres not many about, where as surfs are fairly common. :think:

the UK 4runner (i owned one for 5yrs) had a 1KZT - mechinical fuel injection
the Hilux Surfs had 1KZTE - electronic fuel injection

Back