Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

dropping a 4.2 engine in to a 70

i believe the 3.0 surfs have a 4.88 rear lsd diff so the same as yours i think, also the hilux pick up lot like the cup holders out of them :thumbup: the 3.0 is miles better than the 2.4 :cool:

hairyguy4 said:
i believe the 3.0 surfs have a 4.88 rear lsd diff so the same as yours i think, also the hilux pick up lot like the cup holders out of them :thumbup: the 3.0 is miles better than the 2.4 :cool:

thanks. :thumbup:

ive already got some one who wants the read diff if its LSD. i had a look underneath today and there isnt an LSD OIL ONLY sticker on the diff, so i will have to jack the back axle up and spin one wheel and see which way the other wheel spins to check. :)

yes the 2.4 really is a joke compared to the 3litre! i took it for another spin around the farm today, i can easily get 65mph out of it down the drive which is 1/4mile long. i think id struggle to get 45mph out of my 2.4. :twisted:

just added some pics of the 4-runner on my build thread. i will documenting the engine swap there. :thumbup:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11591&p=92289#p92289

ben said:
hairyguy4 said:

thanks. :thumbup:

ive already got some one who wants the read diff if its LSD. i had a look underneath today and there isnt an LSD OIL ONLY sticker on the diff, so i will have to jack the back axle up and spin one wheel and see which way the other wheel spins to check. :)

Do they normally have a sticker? The plate on the firewall has all that info.A "2" at the end of the axle code would indicate an open diff,a 3 or 5 at the end would indicate LSD

While researching Fiery's front axle replacement I stumbled over a vast array of info regards Toyota gear ratios & I think that this is the info that will help you determin the ratio & type of diff fitted to your new 4-Runner Ben :)

vin4.jpg

PS - This info relates to Toyota pick-ups & 4-Runners only!

sae70 said:
PS - This info relates to Toyota pick-ups & 4-Runners only!

That relates to all toyotas,I can see ratios for my Landcruiser (K085) as well as trucks and buses.The smaller diffs must be for cars.
There is also a missprint,the code 4 should tell you it has lockers.

thanks Steven. :thumbup:

but im sure the previous owner said the rear axle was changed to one off a surf, and im not sure if they had LSD's. :think:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
All 4runners had LSD diffs, but only some Surfs.
the clutch packs on the LSD often wore out after around 60k miles, they had definitely worn out on my 4runner when i bought it with 130k on the clock.

that is one nice truck! :drool: :clap:

how old is it? underneath looks immaculate! :thumbup:

ben said:
that is one nice truck! :drool: :clap:

how old is it? underneath looks immaculate! :thumbup:

Thank you for Your compliment!
Is the year 1996 and was registered 97.
Heaps of works had done to it.

If you machine polish the whole car with a good cutting compound like G5 you should be able to blend the old and new paint to a point where you wont be able to tell its been sprayed so you wouldnt need a pin stripe.

Tbh Ive been watching this thread and cringing every time I see someone spraying Polyurethane 2K without a respirator, I spray it everyday at work and wouldnt dream of not using a respirator, ideally an air-fed mask should be used as this stuff is really bad for your lungs, has been proven to cause asthma, lung cancer and other respiratory problems. :thumbdown:

The truck is looking awesome, hats off youve done a mega amount of work in a very short period of time. Fancy doing mine next? :pray:

Ben

The engine from the 4-Runner....is that the Kzte ? If so, are you also using the 4-runner ecu. I dont know if it is the same ecu as the one fitted to the Kzj7*'s.

What else is needed from the donor car?

Been looking for a Lexus motor but am thinking that a 3.0 toyota lump does make more sense, just not sure which one to look for - obviously a 3.0 engine from a Kzj78 would be most obvious, but the sheer lack of these cars makes it difficult. So the next choicve seems to be either a 3.0 Surf or 4-runner, but is there an ideal age for compatibility?

Pete

Ignore the above - I've re-read this thread and the info I need is already here.

Looks like I need a Kzt from a UK spec 4-runner or kzj7*

I will ignore surfs and jap spec 3.0 's as they have the kzt-e

My 2.4 is running fine, burns a little oil but runs very nicely, so if I start looking now I may be able to buy at leisure, rather than the usual desperate need!

Is there anyone other than Westcoast that have a reputation for fitting these to 2.4 vehicles?

Pete

What a pain.

Drove up to Bristol to have a look at a 'definitely UK spec' 4-runner. Hmmm, in which case why is there a little mirror shaped hole on the nearside wing? So its a jap import with the -e engine.

Even on autotrader the ads mention both models in the descriptions. Aaaaargh.

rant over.

Pete.

I have a 1kzt engine for sale, if anyone is interested. Comes complete with everything except starter motor and the fuel Pump.

Overall the engine is in very good condition, came out a rear accident surf.

Back