Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

dropping a 4.2 engine in to a 70

the last pic is from the bulkhead (under the windscreen) to the rear end of the engine

the first pic is the overall length .. from the bulkhead to the pannel in front of the rad.

and i thought size didn't mater .... it's what one did with it that counted (well that's what i was told once) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Birder said:
Just of interest, while looking at the truck on ebay it has a different engine lifting hook than mine yet its only a year older

I have looked at every picture i can find and on all the images the 80 4.2 has a bent lifting eye and the 75 4.2 has a round one

$(KGrHqIOKkQE3r7QqCd3BN9K7LFK!Q~~_12.JPG
is the one on ebay and its an 80 version

I may be wrong but this one looks like its had a 80 engine and gearbox transplant. The 75 was never made with a turbo and this one looks to have an 80 cross pipe.

You guys with a 4.2 can you check your lifting eye as i could just be talking my normal crap

So its a bent D shape on an 80 and round O on a 75,

So the question is are you bent or do you have a round hole :D , or maybe we should just leave Karl to ask that sort of question :confusion-confused:

Colin,the round eye is a lifting hook that comes on non airconditioned vehicles. The d shaped lifting hook is part of the aircon bracket and much thicker.

You dont see very many of the round type in oz because most 75 owners took the aircon option and later it became standard,or "free"
I have one of each somewhere

As for the crosspipe,its probably just one that comes with aftermarket turbo kit unless the engine is a 1HD T from an 80 series.

A pic of mine when I was swapping a 1HZ into my FJ73 before I fitted the aircon compressor

robspics107mediumod8.jpg

RoscoF73: I think you may well be right, its not easy over here as the 75 is rare, Thanks for the info

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
He may be right colin.

But, The pick of the lifting eye is defo not the one used on the 80series.

The eye on justins is the one that is used.

Prob dosent make any difference though :think:

Karl

karl webster said:
He may be right colin.

But, The pick of the lifting eye is defo not the one used on the 80series.

The eye on justins is the one that is used.

Prob dosent make any difference though :think:

Karl
Weird because the 105 series which is really an updated 80 series uses the same hook as a 7* series.
Although the bracketry is different because the 80 and 105 have a longer engine bay and the aircon compressor and fan are moved forward by 10mm.

105 series engine bay
18092008.jpg

One other thing.If you are trying to fit a 6 cyl into LJ/KZJ70 the engine must sit lower than normal or you wont be able to close the bonnet.
The LJ/KZJ70 bonnet is not only shorter,but slopes down at a more acute angle to meet the front end,or 4 inches lower from memory.
I seem to remember some canadians on MUD trying to work it out and they came to the conclusion the 1PZ 5 cyl was about as long as you can go in the light duty models.

Some of them have grafted the longer front from a 75 series onto the coil sprung models,but it sounds like a lot of work.

the 1PZ may be a good idea if you can find one Ben, with a turbo...

thanks for everyones thoughts on this. :thumbup:

i still havnt got around to calling Paul at west coast. :doh:

whats a 1PZ and what vehicle did it come in please? :think:

Its a 5 cylinder version of the 1HZ engine, and as a result shares loads of common parts. It was put into PZJ70s which look like heavy duty SWB 70s

http://forum.ih8mud.com/70-series-tech/ ... story.html

you can see on the site below that there is plenty of room left in the engine bay in th HD models with a 3.4 1PZ
http://www.toyota.com.kw/english/toyota ... el_70.html

As they are very silimar to the 1HZ I dont think you will have much trouble getting a 1HD trubo on it

EDIT: However finding one is a completely different matter...

Rob said:
the 1PZ may be a good idea if you can find one Ben, with a turbo...
Jury is out on whether turbo-charging this engine is a good idea :? It's an indirect injection engine and high EGTs can kill the top-end, as has been experienced a lot with turboed 1HZs. Cost of sourcing and fitting a turbo has to be factored in too.

ben said:
whats a 1PZ and what vehicle did it come in please? :think:
It's the 5 cyl version of the 1HZ - i.e. a straight 5, 3.5l N/A diesel. Pretty uncommon engine - the few I've ever come across have been fitted to 70 series (troopies) and not in this country (imports into Southern Africa). Probably reasonably common in Aus but that's about it.

Another suggestion - I think you'd have a better chance finding a 12B-T or 13B-T from a late model (scrap) 60. Don't know whether those engines will be short enough to fit. They are great engines though and would be perfect for your truck. Renowned as Toyota's greatest TD engines by many - great low-down power and indestructible.

EDIT: Oops, Rob beat me on the trigger :mrgreen:

Although I did suggest the 1PZ ,it has to be remembered that it had a short production lifespan and parts are not abundant,except those that crossover with a 1HZ or 1HD T.
They did sell a few in oz but Ive only come across a couple.

ben said:
i still havnt got around to calling Paul at west coast. :doh:
I had a chat with him when I was up there last week... He reckons its a none starter having looked at it for his SWB 70 many moons ago; too big, too heavy, too much work & in his opinion would ruin the truck.

I don't know whether to mention this bit or not but here we go... He's looking to put a Land Rover 200 TDi lump in it matched up to the 'Yota gearbox :o

Now thats a conversion I would go for in my 78 !

The 200tdi is a great diesel engine compared to the 2.4 lte.

Abundant, cheap spares via the Landy scene etc etc

Pete

I don't know if anyone has closely looked at fitting a 200TDI or for that matter the 300TDI into a 70, I looked at popping one into my G wagon buts it's quite a wide unit, the cruiser looks similar the G having an engine bay which is quite narrow

Isn't a 3.0l surf engine and box a easier fit?

(the 300tdi is basically the same but the pump has some electronic control and as most landy boys are usually cave men they don't trust such black magic!)

But I guess a 200tdi and landy box would be a "easy" fit :thumbdown:

I didnt think it would mate to the gearbox withour major histrionics, and its not been mentioned before, but the 200tdi is simple and rugged - I would have no worries about binning the 2.4 lte for one.

Will be interested to see how West Coast go about it.

There is more demand for the 3.0 surf lump, I know of a couple of 200's that have been junked for td5's and could be got cheaply, dont really see 3.0 toyota engines cheap.

I'm not anti-Landy (my other car is a Disco 4) so have no prob with a landrover engine in my 78, wouldnt bother with anything pre-200, and the 300tdi is much more sought after, thus expensive - still supplied new for export.

Pete

I've gotta say, Paul is a chap who seems to know his onions on these things... I'll let you know how he goes on if & when he does - he's a vay busy chap up there with customers stuff let alone his own projects :cool:

Back