Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

dropping a 4.2 engine in to a 70

Ben

Guru
Country Flag
australia
after discussing with Karl over the cb's while laning today, the fact my gearing is miles out as a result of the big tyres and the fact i was having to climb steep hills on the road in 1st gear, while my underpowered 2.4 spluttered away. i explained that ive heard of a cheap and local 3litre KZJ70 for sale locally that i was thinking of buying, Karl made a suggestion.

why dont you drop a 4.2 out of an 80 in it? :think:

so has anyone done this before?

i think the engine in Collins 70 series is a 4.2, id be interested to know whether the bonnet and wings are longer to allow for the bigger engine?

i think the engine might just fit, but i might not be able to fit the rad in.

does anyone know if the 70 gearbox would fit the 4.2?

i like the idea of dropping a 4.2 in it, and as ive got the facilities and skills to do this why not. :thumbup:

sounds like a plan to me, its going to get very full under the lid :D a lexus v8 would be sweet to and a lot cheaper to find

jeepmadmike said:
sounds like a plan to me, its going to get very full under the lid :D a lexus v8 would be sweet to and a lot cheaper to find

i want to stick with diesel! :twisted:

its better in deep water, will run on vegetable oil and has a shed load of low down torque.

ive had petrol 4x4's before, and i dont think id go back now after having a derv. :thumbup:

V8 would sound beautiful though :) .

Hi Ben

They made a 70 with a 4.2 as a standard model

http://www.machineryzone.com/used/suv-t ... -4-2d.html shows one

I have never seen one but it would be a nice one with a lot of power.

If you look you will see it has the heavy/medium duty front end with the indicators as bolt ons, not sure about the chassis. Yours is a light duty truck i think

By all means i will take photos of mine and measurements if that will help, just tell me what you want.

Colin

I had mentioned your truck colin.

It really would be a beast with the 4.2 and then 80 axels with lockers :shock:

Just noticed a 75 on the bay ben. The front end does look longer tho. Still think its possible though :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Easiest thing to do is to buy a 4.2 engined 70 from France, Belgium or Spain. A lot of garages use them as tow-trucks, and utility companies use them - but they don't come cheap. All 2nd hand cars are dear in France - maybe a scrapper?

thanks guys. :thumbup:

interesting idea John, thanks i will look into it. :thumbup:

Colin if you could measure the overall length of your bonnet, front to back, then that would be very helpful.

Karl is keeping an eye out for a suitable motor for me. the thing i really need to know is whether it will mate up to my LJ70 gearbox or not.

if it does then it should be reasonably straight forward. engine mounts, exhaust, airbox etc, can all be adjusted easy enough. but if i have to change the gearbox, then that will definitely make it a more complex job. :think:

i was going to wait till i export it to OZ and then get a big motor dropped in, but i think id rather do it now because i want more power now! :twisted:

i might give Paul @ west coast a call and see if hes done it. im sure he would know how straight forward it is and if my box will fit. :think:

Think colin would be the man to answer that mate. The one on the bay now is the second i have come accros since messing with cruisers,colins the first :shock:

I suppose it all depends who has the money and is wanting one.

Karl

I have a 75 Troopy here if you need any photos - just ask and I'm happy to help.

t6.jpg

ben said:
i might give Paul @ west coast a call and see if hes done it. im sure he would know how straight forward it is and if my box will fit. :think:
Hi Ben,

Having had West Coast cut and chop the chessis mounts, in the 70 I had, I am sure they will know if a 4,2 will shoe horn in.

If it does, then for sure things will be busy under there, if it don't fit, then it's only going to be by a small margin.

Great idea you have, I seriously hope it all pans out for you.
Give Paul a ring any way, what he hasn't done with an 80 or a 70, is no ones knowledge.

I am sure I remember seeing a dark grey Defender body on a lifted 70 chassis, complete with Toyota engine and running gear.

G.

Hi Ben, I've looked down this road myself and, yes, the wings/bonnet on the HD 70's are quite a bit longer than our Light Duty models :thumbdown: You'd need to transfer the entire front end across from a HD model, and further uprate your front springs as the 4.2 is no lightweight lump! Not sure about whether the box will mate up..

That one on ebay is a very hopeful punt: starting bid of £7500? Cheaper to buy one in France for once. Going to be low mpg with that gearbox and permanent 4wd too.

It looks like a nice truck, if had not found mine i would have gone and had a look at it.

I did find 2 while looking, the second i found just after i had bought mine and was in Wales, it was a 1985, 4.2D with 250k on the clock and he wanted at least £9700.

I was told i would need to pay between £7500 to £12000 for one

This one has 161k on the clock so just over 100k if its still reading klm's, mine had 57k and mine is one year newer. The big difference is this one was imported as used from Austrailia where mine was new so is a UK vehicle.

The photo of the chassis shows a fair bit of rust at the rear where mine was waxoyled its also black under the bonnet so may well have been painted. The drivers seat has been changed no doubt because of use. Saying that you can lift the body to get at it.

It has the wrong gearbox (80) so is now permanant 4WD and i am not sure thats a good thing as the front axle was not made for this.

ben said:
Colin if you could measure the overall length of your bonnet, front to back, then that would be very helpful.

Not sure the bonnet will tell you a lot so i have lifted it (Rare for me)

Its 1210mm long down the middle

g03.jpg

From the word Oil on the bulkhead to the front of the rad is 1040mm

If i go from the bulkhead behind the engine to the front of the rad its 1100mm so there is a 60mm recess behind the engine

For interest, how does that compare?

Just of interest, while looking at the truck on ebay it has a different engine lifting hook than mine yet its only a year older

I have looked at every picture i can find and on all the images the 80 4.2 has a bent lifting eye and the 75 4.2 has a round one

$(KGrHqIOKkQE3r7QqCd3BN9K7LFK!Q~~_12.JPG
is the one on ebay and its an 80 version

I may be wrong but this one looks like its had a 80 engine and gearbox transplant. The 75 was never made with a turbo and this one looks to have an 80 cross pipe.

You guys with a 4.2 can you check your lifting eye as i could just be talking my normal crap

So its a bent D shape on an 80 and round O on a 75,

So the question is are you bent or do you have a round hole :D , or maybe we should just leave Karl to ask that sort of question :confusion-confused:

just been out and measured mine ....

from the bulkhead to the front is 868 mm
SANY000612.jpg

there is quite a gap behind the engine too
SANY000810.jpg

SANY000711.jpg

mine is an Lj78 ...don't know if the 70's differ at all

Birder said:
Just of interest, while looking at the truck on ebay it has a different engine lifting hook than mine yet its only a year older

I have looked at every picture i can find and on all the images the 80 4.2 has a bent lifting eye and the 75 4.2 has a round one

$(KGrHqIOKkQE3r7QqCd3BN9K7LFK!Q~~_12.JPG
is the one on ebay and its an 80 version

I may be wrong but this one looks like its had a 80 engine and gearbox transplant. The 75 was never made with a turbo and this one looks to have an 80 cross pipe.

You guys with a 4.2 can you check your lifting eye as i could just be talking my normal crap

So its a bent D shape on an 80 and round O on a 75,

So the question is are you bent or do you have a round hole :D , or maybe we should just leave Karl to ask that sort of question :confusion-confused:

And what does that mean colin?????? :lol:

I bat one way!

No 80 i have seen has the round lifting hole.

Have you have a turbo fitted to yours then colin?

Looks like a Difference on the bonnet lenghts then :thumbdown:

I will measure the lenght of the back of the engine to the front of the fan.

I suppose the viscos fan could be done away with and two smaller electic fans could be added to save room.

Unless the viscos fan has to be there :think:

Karl

So that 75 on ebay looks like its had an 80 engine fitted.

I have been told that no 75 was fitted with a Turbo from the factory as standard,

Karl: Mine does have a Turbo that was fitted by the Toyota agent who sold it as new.

Red: Where your tape is in the last image to the front of the Rad, i.e. the back edge of panel that it fixes to that goes from side to side is 1100mm on mine and from your first image its 900 on yours

So at last i can brag about something, lets face facts Red, mine is longer than yours by 200mm.

The wife will be oh so happy :thumbup:

Back