Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

FZJ80R from Devon

Going to try and make a thing...

20190129_112201.jpg

Can anyone guess what its gonna be?

Well it's either a keyring or a winch freespool remote.

Nah, looks like an air actuated rear locker to me

Where's my prize?

Got a switch off ebay for £10. Been after one of these for a little while as I would like to be able to remove the front prop shaft to go in the MOT station brake rollers and get some better data on why the brakes are rubbish.

20190202_140744.jpg

Its a centre diff lock switch from a Rav 4.

20190202_140752.jpg

Fitted it in, (it plugs in to a plug taped to the loom behind the hazard switch) had to change the bulb, but I can now lock the centre diff in high range, however this does disable the ABS so its not really road legal.

20190202_145304.jpg

Adds to the amount of buttons - another bonus.

20190202_145428.jpg

Here is the link that you remove to plug the switch in, interestingly if you were to remove this link and not fit a switch you would be in centre diff lock permanantly even in high range, (the link keeps you OUT of centre difflock, NOT enables it for low range like i had thought!) so I could actually have just unplugged the link and removed the propshaft. Perhaps handy to know in an emergency where the front prop must be removed and you don't have a switch.

Doesn't normally disable the ABS when you fit this Richard. Might be something to do with it being from a RAV.
I don't have abs on this one but my other 80 does and so did my previous 2

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
All the links I look at for centre diff lock in high range say it also lights up the ABS light. But they also seem to be installing the switch in the wrong place, it should be where the hazard light switch was originally, as the cables are then the correct length, and the hazard light switch is spaced further away to be found by touch without having to look at the switches.

Im not sure if the abs is actually switched off or just indicating that it won't work correctly. It makes sense that it wouldn't as if the front whèels were to both lock, it could potentially lock the propshaft, preventing the speedo drive sending a speed signal, and cause the rear axle to lock, preventing the rear abs sensors making a reading, then the abs would think the truck was not moving, and never unlock the brakes, causing a huge skid and potential roll over.

The ABS on my 80 is only one step away from very crude, I am not sure if there are different ABS systems on J80's, it only has a single line for the rear brakes, however it does have a sensor on each wheel instead of just one in the diff. If it detected single rear wheel lock it could only release the brakes on both the rear wheels, I think the rear brakes are probably too small to lock the rear wheels in most situations anyway, the only situation would be if the centre diff was locked and the front wheels were locked.

Chris, my abs turns off when i hit my centre diff button. (Not at the moment though as its permanently lit up!)

Mine is the same, cdl switch turns abs off, low range doesn't unless put cdl in.

With transfer box in N you can put in the brake rollers, that's what I do.

Some rear diff lock spares, if any one is after any send a message,

20190205_174740.jpg

20190205_174802.jpg

Thanks for reading! The LPG and camping kitchen are my favourite (and most successful!) mods so far.

Had to make a little bracket to fix the loose body kit on the drivers rear door, the old one had rusted away.

20190219_221131.jpg
20190219_221415.jpg

Had a snoop around under and found a rear shock leaking quite badly as it has rusted through, a little coolant leak from the rear heater pipe and a few other little bits.

Nothing too bad to get ready for Charity 4X4 quest this weekend, but I have made very little progress on the rear diff lock mod as I need to get the actuating rod turned down on a lathe.

FB_IMG_1551120987890.jpg

Did the 4x4 charity quest yesterday, no real problems with the 80, it went everywhere on the red route withput stopping, on the KO2's at 32psi.

The centre diff lock is still doing that thing where sometimes it doesnt engage, I think I will have to take it off and have a look.

Also, I started my new job today,

https://supacat.com

I am working here, its fixing military vehicles, they have a 6 cylinder cummins diesel, and will go 80mph, anywhere, over any terrain.

Bloody hell rich, new job looks awesome!
A lot of that kit will look great on the 80...

Was hoping to come down but was trying to fix the 80. Got lots done.

Pm sending

Got some bits done on truck but not much, new 2nd hand springs from ebay and need to order some shock absorbers as n/s/r has rusted through and leaking oil.

20190327_102139.jpg

Used camping kitchen in the hospital car park - very handy,

IMG-20190329-WA0000.jpg

Baby Jack is born now, so need to get him trained up on the spanners!

Got some bits done on truck but not much, new 2nd hand springs from ebay and need to order some shock absorbers as n/s/r has rusted through and leaking oil.

View attachment 155157

Used camping kitchen in the hospital car park - very handy,

View attachment 155156

Baby Jack is born now, so need to get him trained up on the spanners!
Congratulations on little one mate. Like Karl said changes your life for the best.

Back