Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Horrible day today

After reading about your incident Pete I've now bought one of those cameras. Cheers :thumbup:

Well I got the camera, (one of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390615539346 ) stuck it on the windscreen and went for a drive, picture quality is crap, :thumbdown: at night virtually nothing can be clearly seen ( I tried night view and day) during the daytime picture is better but not clear enough to read the number plates, try to pose that as evidence and they'd just laugh at you. I've tried altering the various settings but nothing makes it better. I suppose it's too much to expect quality for £15. :cry:

Last edited:
Well I got the camera, (one of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390615539346 ) stuck it on the windscreen and went for a drive, picture quality is crap, :thumbdown: at night virtually nothing can be clearly seen ( I tried night view and day) during the daytime picture is better but not clear enough to read the number plates, try to pose that as evidence and they'd just laugh at you. I've tried altering the various settings but nothing makes it better. I suppose it's too much to expect quality for £15. :cry:

I agree Chas, one can't expect quality at a price like that, but what on earth are they doing describing it as a "night vision" and an "accident camera" that may serve as evidence, if it's as bad as you say?

This a trades description violation if ever there was one, and they shouldn't get away with it.

It describes itself as an infra red camera with a colorful display which also made me think :think: I was under the impression that IR produced a monochrome picture...:think:

The picture on the display in the advert looks good enough for HD home movies :lol:

If I were you I'd probably do nothing about it either, but we as consumers should take these rip-off merchants to task over these things. £15 is £15 after all and they will be making millions no doubt.

I don't quite get the IR claim either, as you tend to drive with headlights on which would white-out the IR.

I did try it on the driveway with no headlights, but couldn't see anything, screen certainly didn't go all grayscale.

I will see if I can post some of the Portugal trip I recorded on mine, it's nice and clear, for normal use its ok. In relation to the accident, its absolutely spot-on, completely clear, up to about 7m, after which some detail is lost, but as accidents tend to be less than 7m (otherwise wouldn't be accidents!) it's good enough for my needs.

This is the very cheapest though, there is another tube-like one at about £30, or you could buy a pukka one for £100 - £200, horses for courses really.

Picture quality aside, I'm far happier with it in place.

Cheers

Pete

Their claim of IR is because it has 6 IR LEDs which will light up everything in front of it for about 30cm :) The fact that you have it against the windscreen might make it worse because the IR will reflect back into the lens and blind the camera slightly.

You won't get a camera that works very well - for a reasonable price - at night. Take any modern phone and take a video through the window with only your lights on. Might see two white dots. The camera in your phone is probably a million times better (or they would not be able to sell the phone) than the £15 jobbie off ebay.

You're better getting one which works well during the day and just living with the night/low-light performance.

Their claim of IR is because it has 6 IR LEDs which will light up everything in front of it for about 30cm :) The fact that you have it against the windscreen might make it worse because the IR will reflect back into the lens and blind the camera slightly.
I might try putting some black tape over the LED's and see if that makes any difference otherwise it's looking for a better camera.

Hi Chas,
Was it a case of it being out of focus or just really bad picture quality? The focus may be adjustable on it somewhere?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Chas,
Was it a case of it being out of focus or just really bad picture quality? The focus may be adjustable on it somewhere?

I'll have to have another look when I've got some more clips, I deleted all the others, but from memory I think it's just poor quality.

don't forget, under the distance selling regulations you are entitled to return the item for a full refund, no reason needs to be given, no questions need to be asked. There is a violation under sale of goods act but distance selling regulations is easier to implement.

This clip indicates two things, the crap picture quality (with HID main & dip and two HID spots on) and the width of the access road I have to drive down to get to my garage behind my house. No wonder I have no wheel arch extensions, there is just 2" either side of my wing mirrors.
Please excuse music, that's what was on the iPod at the time. :oops:

th_CarCam_zps81699b7f.jpg

Last edited:
That isnt very good, mine is the same camera, but a bit better (not a lot, but a bit).

Do you have a daytime image?

Pete

Hi all,

This exact discussion has cropped up on our 4x4response forum.

It transpires that the cameras available now are a cheap copy of the one that I purchased last year, and are to be avoided.

This explains my experience being different to others.

A couple of the guys have recomended this as an alternative

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...ep_vectorid=229466&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg

Comes to something when the chinese are ripping the chinese off!

Thanks Wobbly,:thumbup: I've just bought one, I like the way it is mounted right behind the rear view mirror so there is less clutter in your view out of the windscreen. The other one has to much depth to mount in that position. The seller of my crap one has agreed to refund me :dance: I will be sending it off this afternoon.

What are duties likely to be on that Chas? Looks like a nice device.

Why should there be any duties to be paid Trevor? I've never been charged for anything else I've got from China.

I just bought one too. After this thread it would seem crazy not too.

Duties wise ... if either of us are unlucky I would guess 20% on top of the £33.

I'm not sure how the charges work Chas so have always been a bit wary about ordering from overseas in case of being stung. But I'll have a punt at that price.

Why should there be any duties to be paid Trevor? I've never been charged for anything else I've got from China.

Ditto. Not yet been stung for any (relatively) low value items from China/HK etc.

Back