Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ78 Build Thread

A couple of weeks ago I did another Toolangi day drive with my friends Jiri and Aneta! :icon-cool:

First track of the day was the infamous Rocky Track where I wanted to test my diff locks. :icon-twisted:

IMG_8718.jpg

IMG_8720.jpg

I got a few hundred meters up to where it started getting rougher and got out for a look.

It was over 3 years since I last drove this track and it has become a lot harder and more washed out and eroded than it used to be.

IMG_8722.jpg

IMG_8724.jpg

IMG_8725.jpg

IMG_8727.jpg

It is these rock steps that I couldnt quite get up no matter which line I took!

If it had been dry I think I would have succeeded but I was struggling for traction in the rain, on the slippery rocks. :shifty:

IMG_8728.jpg

IMG_8789.jpg

I'm hoping to get the video off Aneta soon of my attempt, I will post it on this thread once I do. ;)

I reversed 50 meters down and took one of the different tracks and made it to the top, then drove around and met back up with Jiri and Aneta, as there was no way their unlocked Troopy on 31" all terrains was going up this challenging track!

IMG_8787.jpg

And we soon hit the tracks again.

IMG_8731.jpg

I spotted a steep muddy hill and foolishly decided to have a go. :shifty:

But I couldnt get up, the slippery clay was just too wet!

IMG_8734.jpg

IMG_8735.jpg

IMG_8737.jpg

IMG_8738.jpg

We continued up and through the foggy forest.

IMG_8740.jpg

IMG_8790.jpg

IMG_8792.jpg

IMG_8742.jpg

IMG_8743.jpg

I said to Jiri and Aneta over the radio "I look forward to when we find a fallen tree across the track and I can use my chainsaw to clear it". :icon-twisted:

30 seconds later I came across a fallen tree across the track! :o

Only this one was 70 meters long/tall and the trunk was over a meter in diameter! :shock:

So we had no choice but to reverse and turn around. :doh:

IMG_8744.jpg

IMG_8746.jpg

IMG_8747.jpg

IMG_8751.jpg

IMG_8791.jpg

A quick stop so Jiri could top his brake fluid up.

IMG_8752.jpg

And then we drove down Aeroplane Track, a track that exists because it was pushed through so they could remove a crashed plane.

IMG_8756.jpg

IMG_8757.jpg

Half way down we came across some guys in an unlocked 105 on all terrains, who really didnt have a clue how to drive off road. :icon-rolleyes:

IMG_8758.jpg

They were slipping and wheel spinning trying to get up track on the side we were coming down on, to try and avoid some really deep ruts.

IMG_8760.jpg

The pics above doesnt really do it justice, so for perspective, heres Aneta!

IMG_8761.jpg

We advised them they would be better going back down as there was no way they would make it up.

They then proceeded to stuff around trying to reverse back down and out of our way.

They also destroyed a fair few trees with their ignorance and stupidity by ring barking all the trees by wrapping their winch rope directly around the tree as they were not using a tree trunk protector. :icon-evil:

IMG_8762.jpg

With the idiots out of the way (or so we thought) I drove carefully down with Jiri spotting me and then Jiri went to bring the Troopy down.

IMG_8763.jpg

IMG_8764.jpg

I spotted him through the trees on the very slippery side slope that led straight to that huge hole/deep ruts if things went wrong.

IMG_8765.jpg

Jiri drove beautifully and got through without incident! :clap:

But soon we were confronted by the idiots winching their way back up towards us. :doh:

Apparently they were trying to move the car over into the next set of ruts but all they were doing was winching themselves side ways up the track.

I said I would use a snatch block and my winch to winch their arse end over so they could reverse down and out of our way.

They didnt really understand, as they werent very intelligent but Jiri and Aneta understood what I was saying and between the 3 of us we soon had it rigged up and the 105 dragged over into the other ruts :shifty:

Terrible pic I know, but you get the idea.

IMG_8767.jpg

We continued making our way down.

IMG_8793.jpg

I got to the bottom and Jiri radioed to say he was stuck. :doh:

So I parked up and walked back up.

IMG_8769.jpg

Jiri was busy digging trying to free the stuck Troopy.

We tried the MaxTrax and even used the Hi Lift jack to lift a wheel and get them underneath the tyre but they didnt work and just shot out from under the tyre and ended up under the car in the mud. :doh:

I've decided MaxTrax do not work in mud!

They may work well in sand but in mud they are next to useless!

IMG_8770.jpg

So I turned The 78 around, engaged the lockers and crawled my way back up the slippery hill.

A very small winch pull, like half a meter and they were free!

IMG_8771.jpg

IMG_8776.jpg

I backed down, turned around and we headed down.

Past a stolen, burnt out Jeep.

IMG_8777.jpg

And out of the forest where we stopped to air up and say our good byes.

IMG_8782.jpg

It was an awesome day drive and we all had a lot of fun! :dance:

Next weekend were doing a huge 4 day High Country trip as it is a public holiday to celebrate the Queens Birthday, it is also an important date as it is after that weekend that a lot of tracks get closed for the Winter to prevent them getting too damaged during the wetter months. :flags-australia:

Last edited:
Ben,wouldn’t those rocks chew hell out of your tyres?

Hmm, I’m now thinking I need lockers. :icon-twisted:

:icon-biggrin:

Everybody needs lockers Rich! :icon-razz:

OK...............

Long time no update! :thumbdown:

Its almost a month since we went on this big 3 day High Country trip but shortly after the trip I went on holiday up to sunny QLD for 10 days and since we got back I've been busy working on my other 70. :shifty:

So on the Queens Birthday long weekend (yes we get a pubic holiday for the Queens Birthday) we decided to head 5.5 hours East to drive the infamous Haunted Stream Track, with its 54 river crossings. :icon-twisted:

I picked up these maps before the trip and Jiri and Aneta helped me plan it.

IMG_9081.jpg

We left Friday afternoon and didnt get to our chosen camp site till 9:30pm. We met some older couples there who were locals and they invited us to camp next to them.We shared their fire with them and had a nice night drinking and chatting.

The next morning I was up bright and early.

IMG_9094.jpg

There were a few other dogs for Lexi to play with which was nice.

IMG_9096.jpg

Our neighbors setup.

IMG_9097.jpg

I cooked my traditional camping breakfast of sausage, egg and melted cheese on a toasted brioche bun. :drool:

IMG_9100.jpg

And was suddenly surrounded by dogs! :lol:

IMG_9101.jpg

IMG_9102.jpg

IMG_9104.jpg

It took Lexi a while to warm to the other dogs but eventually her and the other Border were off chasing each other around.

IMG_9105.jpg

IMG_9106.jpg

IMG_9107.jpg

Having good friends who happen to have a big car, meant I was able to put my Oz Tent in their Troopy and not have to put my roof rack back on (The 78 wont fit under my car port with the rack on, hence why its no longer fitted). :clap:

IMG_9108.jpg

With the tents and camp packed away, we said good bye to our new friends and hit the tracks. :dance:

IMG_9111.jpg

IMG_9113.jpg

The first few tracks were quite easy and well used but the next track was quite overgrown and hadnt seen traffic for a while!

We came across a few small trees across the track.

IMG_9118.jpg

IMG_9119.jpg

IMG_9121.jpg

IMG_9122.jpg

IMG_9124.jpg

And then we came across a monster tree blocking the track!

IMG_9127.jpg

IMG_9126.jpg

So I got the chainsaw out and we got to work! :icon-twisted:

IMG_9130.jpg

I cut up from underneath about half way and then took a big wedge out of the top.

IMG_9131.jpg

Jiri got to work on the axe to help clear the wedge out.

IMG_9134.jpg

IMG_9135.jpg

IMG_9136.jpg

Then we had to do the same to the other limb of the tree and this time Aneta had a go with the axe.

IMG_9137.jpg

IMG_9139.jpg

A little bit more cutting with the saw and that end of the blockage was severed! :dance:

IMG_9140.jpg

IMG_9141.jpg

Then I attempted to drag it out of the way but even with both lockers in I was just wheel spinning and the tree wouldnt budge! :doh:

IMG_9142.jpg

So then we decided to try and winch it out of the way.

IMG_9143.jpg

Jiri and Aneta positioned a snatch block up in a tree and we attempted to winch it out of the way.

IMG_9144.jpg

But still the bloody thing wouldnt budge! :o

So then we decided to do some more cutting. :icon-twisted:

IMG_9148.jpg

But still it wouldnt budge! :thumbdown:

IMG_9149.jpg

Bit more cutting.

IMG_9150.jpg

IMG_9151.jpg

IMG_9153.jpg

And eventually we got through and finally had it on the ground! :dance:

IMG_9154.jpg

We tried with the winch rope and snatch block again to winch it out of the way but the winch would not budge it! :wtf:

I'd estimate that this big chunk of soaking wet hard wood weighed 4-5tonnes easily! :crazy:

And soon it snapped my winch rope. :doh:
IMG_9155.jpg

IMG_9156.jpg

So then it was down to The 78 to drag it out of the way.

IMG_9157.jpg

IMG_9158.jpg

It took quite a few attempts to get it to move, even with the lockers in. Each hard reverse snatch would get it to move a few inches at a time. :o

And soon it became apparent that the other section of tree was in the way, so Jiri used his jack to lift that out of the way.

IMG_9159.jpg

And finally it was out! :dance:

IMG_9160.jpg

Next we needed to roll it out of the middle of the track, which wasnt easy as it was so heavy!

IMG_9161.jpg

But between us Jiri and I used another piece of wood as a lever and managed to move it over enough for us to get the 70's through! :character-beavisbu:

IMG_9162.jpg

And we were on our way!

IMG_9163.jpg

IMG_9165.jpg

IMG_9168.jpg

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The track we were on soon left the forest behind as it opened up onto a valley and farm land.

IMG_9171.jpg

IMG_9173.jpg

IMG_9174.jpg

We went through the gate and as it was now mid day we looked for some where to stop for lunch.

IMG_9175.jpg

We found an area at the side of the track with a picnic bench and a tree stump with some old metal beer signs nailed to it.

IMG_9176.jpg

Inside the fallen down tree behind the stump I found a parasol inside it which fitted into a metal fitting some one had nailed to the tree stump.

I set it up and the bar was soon open! :obscene-drinkingbu:

IMG_9177.jpg

IMG_9178.jpg

*Please note, I dont and would never drink that disgusting VB rubbish, it was just for the photo.
Life is too short for drinking shit beer! :obscene-drinkingdr:

We had lunch and admired the view.

IMG_9179.jpg

IMG_9180.jpg

Then a quick check of the map confirmed we were getting close to what we had traveled all this distance for! :dance:

IMG_9181.jpg

54!!!!!! Thats what dreams are made of! :icon-twisted:

IMG_9182.jpg

We carried on down the easy dirt road.

IMG_9188.jpg

And then drove 2km's of, bitumen if you're an Aussie, Tarmac if you're a Brit or Asphalt if you're Czech.

IMG_9189.jpg

Until we reached our turn off.

IMG_9190.jpg

Bis of this trip felt like green laning in the UK and the start of this track was no exception as we passed through private farm land.

IMG_9191.jpg

IMG_9192.jpg

IMG_9195.jpg

IMG_9196.jpg

IMG_9197.jpg

IMG_9201.jpg

We stopped at the first big campsite and I was impressed with the excellent car parking facilities. :icon-razz:

IMG_9204.jpg

IMG_9205.jpg

IMG_9206.jpg

We soon hit the track again.

IMG_9208.jpg

And stopped at the old Gold rush mining town of Stirling.

IMG_9209.jpg

Very little remains today apart from a few stone walls.

IMG_9210.jpg

IMG_9211.jpg

IMG_9212.jpg

Then it was time to pass through one of the seasonally closed gates and cross our first major river crossing. :icon-twisted:

I was behind another vehicle at this point, but he was moving reasonably quickly so I didnt mind.

IMG_9213.jpg

IMG_9214.jpg

IMG_9215.jpg

IMG_9216.jpg

IMG_9218.jpg

IMG_9221.jpg

IMG_9222.jpg

IMG_9224.jpg

After a dozen or so river crossings we got to a big steep rocky hill to climb!

IMG_9227.jpg

View back across to Jiri who was driving across the river to where I was stopped at the base of the hill.

IMG_9228.jpg

IMG_9229.jpg

We got out and walked it and it was very slippery the further up we went with the wet clay providing very little traction.

IMG_9230.jpg

After a bit of slipping and sliding we got both the 70's safely to the top.

We got some excellent video footage of Jiri driving his Troopy AKA The Mountain Goat up this climb, I will include the video at the end of the trip report. ;)

Few more crossings.

IMG_9237.jpg

IMG_9239.jpg

IMG_9240.jpg

IMG_9241.jpg

Last edited:
It was by this point about 4:00pm and we were looking for a camp site.

We knew from the excellent detail on the map that there are very few suitable camping spots along the track, but we happened to find one and it was a perfect! :dance:

IMG_9242.jpg

I was soon joined by Jiri and Aneta.

IMG_9243.jpg

And we soon had the camp setup.

IMG_9252.jpg

IMG_9253.jpg

IMG_9259.jpg

IMG_9260.jpg

IMG_9261.jpg

I cooked my dinner.

IMG_9262.jpg

Marinaded chicken and veggies.

IMG_9263.jpg

We then had a lovely night sat round the fire drinking and chatting.

IMG_9264.jpg

The next morning I was awake bright and early, as was Lexi.

IMG_9267.jpg

Cooked breakfast.

IMG_9268.jpg

Tasty breakfast cooked over the fire, washed down with a litre of tea! Perfect start to the day! :dance:

IMG_9269.jpg

With roughly another 30 crossings to do we packed up camp and hit the track.

IMG_9270.jpg

IMG_9271.jpg

IMG_9278.jpg

IMG_9279.jpg

IMG_9280.jpg

IMG_9284.jpg

Soon we got to a really muddy section.

IMG_9286.jpg

Jiri's little tyres soon had him hung up on his diffs and a little snatch recovery was required.

IMG_9288.jpg

IMG_9289.jpg

IMG_9290.jpg

Few more river crossings.

IMG_9291.jpg

And then another muddy section.

IMG_9306.jpg

We assessed the situation and Jiri decided to put his MaxTrax in a hole that he thought he would struggle to get through.

IMG_9307.jpg

Then he got stuck 10 meters before he even got to the MaxTrax. :lol:

IMG_9309.jpg

IMG_9310.jpg

So I reversed The 78, hooked him on and dragged him through the thick slippery mud.

IMG_9312.jpg

IMG_9313.jpg

Another dozen or so river crossings.

IMG_9316.jpg

IMG_9318.jpg

IMG_9333.jpg

IMG_9335.jpg

IMG_9338.jpg

And we reached the end of the track! :clap:

IMG_9339.jpg

At Dawson City, another former Gold rush town which also has very little remaining.

IMG_9340.jpg

We drove up Boomerang Spur Track which was a really nice steep climb.

IMG_9341.jpg

IMG_9343.jpg

Guys I'm out of time now as I have to get up and do some work on LJ's V8 engine conversion before work, but I will try and do some more on this trip report tonight. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Looks like that tree at Stirling got struck by lightning Ben.

Possibly Rich, but more likely its black from bush fires.

Lots of forested areas of Victoria go up in flames each year when we have a week of 40+ degree temps and strong winds. :flags-australia:

It was by this point about 4:00pm and we were looking for a camp site.

We knew from the excellent detail on the map that there are very few suitable camping spots along the track, but we happened to find one and it was a perfect! :dance:

View attachment 146312

I was soon joined by Jiri and Aneta.

View attachment 146313

And we soon had the camp setup.

View attachment 146314

View attachment 146315

View attachment 146316

View attachment 146317

View attachment 146318

I cooked my dinner.

View attachment 146319

Marinaded chicken and veggies.

View attachment 146320

We then had a lovely night sat round the fire drinking and chatting.

View attachment 146321

The next morning I was awake bright and early, as was Lexi.

View attachment 146322

Cooked breakfast.

View attachment 146323

Tasty breakfast cooked over the fire, washed down with a litre of tea! Perfect start to the day! :dance:

View attachment 146324

With roughly another 30 crossings to do we packed up camp and hit the track.

View attachment 146325

View attachment 146326

View attachment 146327

View attachment 146328

View attachment 146329

View attachment 146330

Soon we got to a really muddy section.

View attachment 146331

Jiri's little tyres soon had him hung up on his diffs and a little snatch recovery was required.

View attachment 146332

View attachment 146333

View attachment 146334

Few more river crossings.

View attachment 146335

And then another muddy section.

View attachment 146336

We assessed the situation and Jiri decided to put his MaxTrax in a hole that he thought he would struggle to get through.

View attachment 146337

Then he got stuck 10 meters before he even got to the MaxTrax. :lol:

View attachment 146338

View attachment 146339

So I reversed The 78, hooked him on and dragged him through the thick slippery mud.

View attachment 146340

View attachment 146341

Another dozen or so river crossings.

View attachment 146342

View attachment 146343

View attachment 146344

View attachment 146345

View attachment 146346

And we reached the end of the track! :clap:

View attachment 146347

At Dawson City, another former Gold rush town which also has very little remaining.

View attachment 146348

We drove up Boomerang Spur Track which was a really nice steep climb.

View attachment 146349

View attachment 146350

Guys I'm out of time now as I have to get up and do some work on LJ's V8 engine conversion before work, but I will try and do some more on this trip report tonight. :thumbup:

Your photo-heavy write ups are brilliant Ben, I almost feel I’ve been thre after reading them!

Wood is very heavy, especially if it’s green and soaked.

It was attempting to drag one end of a pine tree off a track that broke my PTO winch originally on the truck when I bought it. The wire rope skipped over the flange at one end of the drum, and cracked (broke) the flange and the winch casing. I wish now I’d kept all the bits of that PTO but alas, I didn’t know what I do now, and sold it all for a measly £100. :?

Thanks for the report, and all the effort of posting :thumbup:

Reactions: Ben
Thanks guys. :thumbup:

It was a great trip. :dance:

That sucks about your PTO winch Clive. :doh:

OK...............So part 2 of the trip. :icon-biggrin:

We left the Haunted Stream Track in the valley below and climbed high up into the mountains and were rewarded with some spectacular views.

IMG_9344.jpg

IMG_9345.jpg

IMG_9346.jpg

We continued on the tracks heading towards the little town of Dargo where we planned to stop for lunch.

IMG_9347.jpg

IMG_9350.jpg

IMG_9353.jpg

IMG_9354.jpg

We came to a nice big river crossing and I lept my way to the other side to get some pics without getting wet.

IMG_9357.jpg

IMG_9358.jpg

IMG_9359.jpg

It was a nice spot and would have been excellent for swimming, in summer time.

IMG_9361.jpg

I drove across, followed by Jiri in the Troopy.

IMG_9362.jpg

IMG_9365.jpg

We decided as it was such a nice spot to stop for a while and Lexi had a swim.

IMG_9369.jpg

IMG_9372.jpg

IMG_9375.jpg

We continued on the track and soon had a few more river crossings to drive.

IMG_9378.jpg

IMG_9383.jpg

Then we passed by a hut which we stopped to have a look at.

IMG_9384.jpg

IMG_9386.jpg

IMG_9388.jpg

IMG_9389.jpg

IMG_9390.jpg

IMG_9391.jpg

IMG_9392.jpg

We continued on our way and soon found ourselves on a really wide ridge track.

IMG_9399.jpg

IMG_9401.jpg

Which led upto a helipad where we stopped for a break.

IMG_9402.jpg

IMG_9403.jpg

We continued on our way and dropped down again and found ourselves in a valley with farm land.

IMG_9408.jpg

The road to Dargo felt very much like a greenlane in the UK as it went across farmers fields (Or paddocks as they call them in Australia).

IMG_9410.jpg

IMG_9415.jpg

IMG_9416.jpg

IMG_9417.jpg

IMG_9418.jpg

IMG_9419.jpg

IMG_9420.jpg

We soon reached the iconic little High Country town and stopped for some lunch and a beer at the pub.

IMG_9424.jpg

We had arrived at Dargo a little later than planned and with light now fading fast and our chosen camp site many km's away we had to push on.

IMG_9425.jpg

The bitumen soon gave way to dirt again.

IMG_9427.jpg

IMG_9428.jpg

Our next track the Rock Of Gibraltar Track was a really nice track with lots of steep climbs and drops with a huge river crossing at the end. :clap:

IMG_9431.jpg

IMG_9434.jpg

IMG_9437.jpg

IMG_9440.jpg

We continued on the track and light was fading fast.

IMG_9447.jpg

We kept driving as darkness fell and all went well for about an hour until we reached one particularly steep rocky climb.

Despite multiple attempts Jiri couldnt get the Troopy up. :doh:

Turning around wasnt really an option as we had driven for hours to get to this point and the camp site wasnt too much further ahead. :|

We managed to carefully get the Troopy over enough for me to pass and I attempted it in The 78. :shifty:

With both lockers engaged and with my foot flat to the floor and held there, I wheel spun and bounced my way up. :icon-twisted:

It was quite an adrenaline rush! :icon-cool:

I drove on ahead and found some where to make a 5 point turn and then drove back down to the top of the really rocky steep section.

We anchored The 78 to a tree and then used every available strap and even tree trunk protector straps joined together on the end of my tied together winch rope, to give us enough length to reach the Troopy, which Jiri had driven up as far as he could and had actually ended up on a bit of a dodgy angle. :icon-surprised:

IMG_9458.jpg

IMG_9459.jpg

We prayed the knot joining my winch rope would hold, which it did. :pray:

We were all tired, hungry and just wanted to reach camp but we all worked together and soon had the Troopy up the climb. :dance:

Aneta then guided me as I made a very dodgy 10 point turn on the narrow track. :clap:

Then finally we were on our way again! :icon-cool:

IMG_9460.jpg

Down the Castle Hill Track.

IMG_9461.jpg

To a wild camp site we had used on a previous trip.

We all pitched in and soon had the camp setup.

IMG_9462.jpg

IMG_9463.jpg

And most importantly the fire lit.

IMG_9464.jpg

IMG_9465.jpg

We were camped at a high altitude, much higher than the previous 2 nights and it was bitterly cold.

In the morning we awoke to ice on the tents. :occasion-snowman:

IMG_9468.jpg

I cooked breakfast. :drool:

IMG_9470.jpg

We packed up our camp and hit the tracks.

IMG_9471.jpg

The ground was frozen.

IMG_9472.jpg

Lots of mist in the valleys below.

IMG_9478.jpg

IMG_9479.jpg

IMG_9480.jpg

IMG_9484.jpg

A quick stop to look at the maps and work out where we were going.

IMG_9485.jpg

We stopped at a look out.

IMG_9489.jpg

IMG_9490.jpg

IMG_9491.jpg

IMG_9502.jpg

IMG_9503.jpg

IMG_9504.jpg

And continued on our way on a very muddy track.

IMG_9505.jpg

Our next track which I'm not sure I've ever driven before was the infamous King Billy Track.

IMG_9508.jpg

It was a great track with a bit of everything, river crossings, rocks, climbs, descents, it was awesome!

IMG_9531.jpg

IMG_9532.jpg

Around a few hair pin bends as we climbed out of the valley below.

IMG_9538.jpg

IMG_9540.jpg

And out the top, where we headed for home.

IMG_9542.jpg

Heres Jiri and Anetas video of the trip. :icon-cool:

It was an awesome trip! :happy-wavemulticol:

Our next 4wd camping trip is next weekend! :dance:

Hi Ben looks a lot of fun thanks for the pics big :thumbup: up you r have ing a grand old time .

Gosh you are so lucky with those trails,
I can only get decent trails for mountain biking here in Scotland

Must have been stressful with the tricky trail in dark, when all you've wanted were a camp, cold beer and food :)

Brilliant! What else is there to be said.

Stunning views too, great photos Ben.

And in the previous post, who was it that shinned up the tree for one of those pics of your campsite, Aneta? She’s a game girl that one, if it was :lol:

Thanks guys! :thumbup:

We truly are blessed in Australia and particularly in Victoria to have so many tracks and areas open to us! :clap:

The High Country is hundreds of square miles of mountains, forests and rivers and its full of 4wd tracks! :flags-australia:

I love it! :text-bravo:

Yes Clive it was Aneta, she climbed onto the roof of the Troopy to get some pics. :icon-cool:

Shes certainly game, they both are! Whenever there is work to be done, be it vehicle recoveries or setting up the camp they both jump straight into action and get on with it! They make great travel companions! :clap:

Great trip, great travel companions and fantastic scenery. Well done Ben. I don’t know whether I’d be hopping out to take photos every 5 minutes so hats off to you for that.

Watching that I wondered whether you’ve got any underneath protection as I don’t remember seeing any go on it in the build?

Back