Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ78 Build Thread

The logasol has agents in the UK
40A48365-BC5E-42C6-A5CF-049182E1B300.png
B5DA159A-E413-4D8E-ACBE-2664C769F9D2.png

I'm not sure if European round headlight 70's got these guards?

But certainly Australian models did. :flags-australia:

Ben,my italian market round headlights lj 73 has the same look gearbox guard, can recognise the left hand side reinforcement. not sure how thick the plate is though.

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

All this talk and pics of planking timber is making me even keener to get the tools and get out there and have a go! :icon-cool:

Ben,my italian market round headlights lj 73 has the same look gearbox guard, can recognise the left hand side reinforcement. not sure how thick the plate is though.

Thanks Alex. :thumbup:

So it would appear all/most markets got the heavy duty guard. :think:

Such a shame they decided to replace it when they did the update and went to the rectangular headlight front. :thumbdown:

I guess the later guards were much cheaper to produce and the bean counters at Toyota were trying to save some money! :icon-rolleyes:

I spotted this the other day.

The LJ and KZJ 78's and 79's are identical bodies, from the windscreen back as the new V8 70 series wagons! :think:

So I really want to fit the later, much more modern looking, front end, giving me what will look like a $70k 76 series wagon, but with coil suspension all round and the same wheel track front and rear. :icon-twisted:

Like this nice portal axled beast!

View attachment 113437

View attachment 113438

But at $3.5k for all the bits I may wait a while and just fit the panels I already have for now. :shifty:

View attachment 113439

View attachment 113440

Hey Ben!
Im new to this site but have been doing some deep reasearch for some time and I FINALLY found your thread today! You are definitely one of the most knowledgeable 70 guys i have found thus far! You truly have made an impressive truck, and very well done.

I am living in Japan for the next 2 years and have been tracking down the right HZJ77 to bring back to the USA with me. As you know we have strict vehicle age rules and no 70's native to the country. getting the 77 in is no problem as they are now legal. but I have been searching everywhere and studying body/frame repair manuals and parts drawings to find out the answer to what you mentioned here.

In Canada its possible to buy old mine trucks which are the updated front end 70 so i have a source to get all the parts, but is it actually possible to swap the front end? I realize that most of the body mounts after the front cab mount are slightly different height/width but i can handle that. I just cant figure out if the fender to firewall mounts line up correctly. Do you have any experiecne with this?

Sorry for the long winded question, in the planning stage now and gettign connections made so if its not even viable without large amounts of firewall/cab modifications then ill abandon it. But having an "current" body stlye 70 in the USA would be awesome and well worth it since a face lift is the only legal option!

Thank you!!

Hi Blomdala,

Thanks. :thumbup:

Im obsessed with everything 70 series! :shifty:

While you're in Japan you should totally do a factory tour! You will get to see all the new 70's rolling off the production line! :icon-cool:

When you get back to the states you should try and get to the LandCruiser heritage museum in SaltLake City. :icon-biggrin:

If you want to expand your 70 series knowledge I can recommend the most amazing book in my collection, which I bought direct from the author in Japan (he posted it to me).

In it there are interviews with the chief engineers one of who has sent the last 20 years just working on the 70 series! :clap:

http://www.geoscope-inc.com/Htm/TLC70_BOOK_E.html

To answer your question................

The later fenders and hood will bolt straight onto the earlier 70 series bodies! :dance:

The only bit that wont line up is the front body mounts as they will be 50mm too far in, so will need extending out each side, because the chassis rails are 100mm further apart on the VDJ 70's to accommodate the wide V8 engine. :think:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Blomdala,

Im obsessed with everything 70 series! :shifty:

While you're in Japan you should totally do a factory tour! You will get to see all the new 70's rolling off the production line! :icon-cool:

When you get back to the states you should try and get to the LandCruiser heritage museum in SaltLake City. :icon-biggrin:

If you want to expand your 70 series knowledge I can recommend the most amazing book in my collection, which I bought direct from the author in Japan (he posted it to me).

In it there are interviews with the chief engineers one of who has sent the last 20 years just working on the 70 series! :clap:

http://www.geoscope-inc.com/Htm/TLC70_BOOK_E.html

To answer your question................

The later fenders and hood will bolt straight onto the earlier 70 series bodies! :dance:

The only bit that wont line up is the front body mounts as they will be 50mm too far in, so will need extending out each side, because the chassis rails are 100mm further apart on the VDJ 70's to accommodate the wide V8 engine. :think:

You picked the right vehicle for an obsession! Ive always loved them and after getting to drive a friends GRJ76, I knew I only have one series of vehicle in my future.... nothing else could feed this craving!

So i actualyl work for Toyota here, and Toyota autobody tour is CERTAINLY on the to do list! It is quite difficult to get a tour there but i have a couple years to keep pushing hahah.

I really do need to get to the heritage museum, I have no excuse for having lived so close! I used to be heavily involved in the hilux/hilux surf world and after i sold that rig and started a family, my sights have moved to the land cruiser world!

Thank you a TON for that link! I will definitely be adding this to my collection! It sounds amazing!

You are the MAN! That is awesome information!!! Thank you!!!!! The only person on the web who can answer it hahaha. So to my knowledge, the updated from fender and hood are all the same (VDJ and HZJ and GRJ) based off part number, aside from VDJ having the hood scoop due to its intercooler. Is that correct from your information?

Just for your info, this is the sort of option im looking at, due to the laws in the USA http://minesource.com/item/2433
These trucks are avialble with some regularity from canada, and while the are a little rough they would provide the base to start the updates! If im ambitions it would also give me updated intoerior and LHD options. But thats quite a bit more work so Im focusing on the front clip first.

Thank you again for your great expertise and openess! I'm actually visiting Sydney this December for the first time with my family so I hope to see some VDJ's driving around!

Aww wow! Thats awesome you work for them! :o :clap:

Yes thats correct the later hood and fenders are the same on all the latest 70's. :ugeek:

Aww wow that will be a cool build!

Make sure you post some pics on here when you start, or better still start a build thread! :pray:

Enjoy your trip to Sydney!

You will see LandCruisers everywhere and in particular the 70! :flags-australia:

On my 5 minute drive to work here in Melbourne I usually see about 10 LC's and at least 6 of those will be 70's! :dance:

I do believe I may be getting Ben build withdrawal symptoms. It almost feels like it’s been ‘cold turkey’…:cry:

I do believe I may be getting Ben build withdrawal symptoms. It almost feels like it’s been ‘cold turkey’…:cry:

:lol:

I dont get on here very much these days. :thumbdown:

But you're in luck because I've just posted a huge update on my LJ70 build thread. ;)

https://landcruiserclub.net/community/threads/lj70-build-thread.131171/page-298

But I also have a small technical update to post on this thread too! :dance:

Anti Roll Bar/Sway Bar

Its important to fit spacers to your bar if you're vehicle has a suspension lift. :icon-ugeek:

I made some for my LJ78 last week.

I bought 2 alluminium off cuts from my local alluminium place for $10.

They both measure 45mm x 40mm x 200mm and as I could get 2 spacers out of each piece I only needed one block of alluminium, but decided to make them for both of my 70's.

IMG_1170.jpg

Cut them in half.

IMG_1171.jpg

Drilled holes in them.

IMG_1203.jpg

And ended up with 4 spacers that will space my bar down like this.

IMG_1204.jpg

IMG_1205.jpg

I decided to do an experiment at work whilst fitting them.

First I lifted a back wheel until the front wheel was just about to come off the ground, but was still firmly on the ground and took a measurement underneath the tyre.

*At this stage the bar was fitted with no spacers.

IMG_1276.jpg

Then I did the same with a front wheel.

IMG_1277.jpg

IMG_1278.jpg

Then I unbolted the sway bar and did the same again, both front and rear wheels.

Then I fitted the spacers.

IMG_1279.jpg

IMG_1280.jpg

Then I did the same again.

IMG_1281.jpg

IMG_1282.jpg

And heres the results.

IMG_1283.jpg

So with no sway bar fitted you get 90mm more articulation out of the front suspension and 77mm more articulation out of the back, compared to having the sway bar fitted with no spacers.

I think thats quite a significant number!

Obviously the spacers have improved things and have given me an extra 30mm at the front and 25mm at the back, so 55mm extra articulation overall which could well be the difference between picking wheels and needing diff locks and not. :think:

But I'm still missing 112.5mm of extra articulation had I not got a sway bar fitted/connected. :shifty:

So my next project is to make a quick disconnect for a front sway bar and if that works and is successful then I will do the same to the rear sway bar I have, but havent fitted to this vehicle. Then when I go off road I can get maximum articulation and then when back on bitumen have a car that handles nicely. :icon-twisted:

Nice one Ben.

On the disconnects I’ve often thought about doing it hydraulically. A hydraulic ram each side and a valve to tank each. With the cylinders opened it allows the bar more articulation but with them closed off they are then solid.
I haven’t worked out the finer details like how to actually make it work simply so haven’t pursued it. Sprung cylinders and a reservoir would probably be easiest. :think:

Reactions: Ben
That would be a nice solution Rich. :icon-cool:

I was thinking of keeping it simple and cutting the bar in the middle, sleaving it and then having a bolt to hold the 2 sections together. Then when venturing off road, climb underneath and just remove one bolt. :think:

That would be a nice solution Rich. :icon-cool:

I was thinking of keeping it simple and cutting the bar in the middle, sleaving it and then having a bolt to hold the 2 sections together. Then when venturing off road, climb underneath and just remove one bolt. :think:
I’ve thought of this one too but I think you’d end up with a scrap ARB that would shear bolts for fun or at least something that would start bonking and rattling very quickly. The ARB will probably be a special steel that’s heat treated to make it springy in torsion.

There’s some serious forces involved. Each arm is 333mm at a guess and for ease of calculation, what’s a 70 weigh, 2 tonnes? 500kg a wheel, up to 1000 kg so 1000/.3m =333 kg per metre or in NM, 3330 NM of potential torque waggling one way then the other. Just a flag packet calc but give some idea.

Mines a complex idea but I have heard of it being done before.

Reactions: Ben
I had roll bar disconnects on the Isuzu's which had a spring loaded quick release on the links, pop them off and cable tie up to the roll bar, go off road for the day then realise how filthy the underside was, don't bother to refit untill it's washed... proceed to totally forget to re connect, get used to driving without them and realise next time it's on the ramp lol.

The company no longer sell them either but they were good.

whats the logic behind Mr T supplying some models with a rear ARB whilst others don't have. eg. 79 with a rear roll bar, 76 without?

Aww wow! Thats awesome you work for them! :o :clap:

Yes thats correct the later hood and fenders are the same on all the latest 70's. :ugeek:

Aww wow that will be a cool build!

Make sure you post some pics on here when you start, or better still start a build thread! :pray:

Enjoy your trip to Sydney!

You will see LandCruisers everywhere and in particular the 70! :flags-australia:

On my 5 minute drive to work here in Melbourne I usually see about 10 LC's and at least 6 of those will be 70's! :dance:

I will definitely have to put together a build thread! that way when I over look something and get into a pickle its easier for everyone to put me back on the right path :think: and I might need some guidance getting some parts from other countries anyways! especially for newer body panels. Japan only had 2015 model year, and USA had none! I need to find a way to get a front clip shipped from australia!

I will probably annoy my wife with me point them out everywhere but Ill try to prepare her for that in advance haha. But im very much excited to visit:flags-australia:

Lots for me to think about regarding sway bar/ARB quick disconnects. :think:

This was my original idea, which is how they do it on Jimny's.

https://www.jimnybits.com/suzuki-jimny-anti-roll-bar-sway-bar-quick-disconnect-kit.html

But I agree cutting the sway bar in the middle isnt the best of ideas. :shifty:

So I'm now thinking of making something to replace the alluminium spacers I made, and in that 45mm of space the alluminium took up, making something with a pin and an R clip that can be pulled out to disconnect the sway bar from the chassis mounts. :think:

whats the logic behind Mr T supplying some models with a rear ARB whilst others don't have. eg. 79 with a rear roll bar, 76 without?

I'm not sure, its weird! :crazy:

With the light duty 70's (LJ/RJ/KZJ) all of the 2 door short wheel base models only came with a front one, but all of the long wheel base 4 door models also got a rear one. :)

I will definitely have to put together a build thread! that way when I over look something and get into a pickle its easier for everyone to put me back on the right path :think: and I might need some guidance getting some parts from other countries anyways! especially for newer body panels. Japan only had 2015 model year, and USA had none! I need to find a way to get a front clip shipped from australia!

I will probably annoy my wife with me point them out everywhere but Ill try to prepare her for that in advance haha. But im very much excited to visit:flags-australia:

Awesome!!! :dance:

Hopefully you will enjoy our fine country. They dont call it LandCruiser country for nothing, they're everywhere! :flags-australia:

Do you see many older 70's over there?

I watch some of the Japanese auctions and they keep finding rare and unusual 70's to sell through the auctions. :icon-cool:

I gave The 78 a service last week and finally fixed an annoying oil leak. :icon-cool:

With Amayama charging almost as much for filters as my local Toyota dealer, and now I no longer trust the ebay sellers as there have been so many fake filters being sold over the last few years I bit the bullet and just bought one from my local dealer. :shifty:

The 10 litres of oil cost less than half the price of the filter! :crazy:

IMG_1345.jpg

This was on display in the Toyota parts department shop.

IMG_1338.jpg

I had ordered these genuine seals with my last Amayama order as I was pretty sure my engine was leaking oil from both the rocker cover and turbo pipe.

IMG_1346.jpg

I took The 78 for a drive to get the oil nice and hot.

IMG_1339.jpg

Dropped the oil.

IMG_1342.jpg

And stripped the rocker cover and turbo pipe from the top of the engine.

IMG_1343.jpg

IMG_1347.jpg

IMG_1348.jpg

I put it all back together and was delighted to find it no longer leaks oil! :dance:

The next day it was time for a 4WD Trip to one of our local state forests! :icon-cool:

IMG_1352.jpg

IMG_1353.jpg

IMG_1355.jpg

The tracks were a little wet and I really should have headed the warning on the map and avoided this next track! :icon-redface:

IMG_1356.jpg

The pics and videos dont really do it justice for how steep this clay hill is! :icon-rolleyes:

But in the video below I was the most scared I've ever been in The 78 as I was convinced I was about to roll it multiple times down the hill. :icon-eek:

I know I should have put it in reverse and taken my foot off the brake but it was so slippy and I was scared the car might pick up speed if I did that. :icon-neutral:

Jiri and Aneta sprang into action and began rigging the winch up for me.

After rescuing Lexi from the back.

IMG_1358.jpg

I winched forwards towards the tree Jiri rigged the rope up to in the pic above and then we had to winch to one of the trees on the left to get me over the mound in the track.

I didnt fancy coming back down the hill backwards so I walked on ahead to see how much further I would have to winch for.

IMG_1360.jpg

IMG_1361.jpg

A long way was the answer, the slippery hill just kept going. :thumbdown:

So the only option was to turn The 78 around.

This was no easy feet as the clay surface was so slippery, it was like ice!

My tyres were completely clogged.

IMG_1363.jpg

It took 3 more winch pulls to turn The 78 around and in the end I had to anchor the back of the vehicle to the tree Jiri and Aneta are removing the tree trunk protector from in the pic below, and then gently try and drive forwards which allowed me to turn the vehicle beautifully on the spot! :shifty:

IMG_1362.jpg

I was a bit nervous as Jiri and Aneta released the strap from the back of the car and I gently slid down the hill in 1st low, gently dabbing the brakes to try and slow myself.

Safely down. :clap:

IMG_1364.jpg

IMG_1365.jpg

You will have to take my word for the fact this hill is a lot steeper than it appears in the pics.

IMG_1367.jpg

IMG_1368.jpg

We left that track behind and ventured deeper into the forest.

IMG_1371.jpg

IMG_1372.jpg

A few tracks later we were at another slippery clay hill, but fortunately not as steep as the last one.

I pushed on, with both diff locks engaged and managed to get to the top! :icon-twisted:

IMG_1373.jpg

IMG_1374.jpg

The call soon came over the radio to say Jiri and Aneta were struggling in the Troopy.

So I walked down to help.

IMG_1375.jpg

IMG_1376.jpg

Aneta was driving but apparently it was my fault she got stuck! :crazy:

IMG_1377.jpg

What happened next blew me away!

The Max Trax actually worked! For once they actually worked! :wtf: :clap:

IMG_1378.jpg

And with some skillful driving by Jiri and me pushing the Troopy from behind we managed to get it up the hill! :dance:

We had to stop and re-position the MTrax a few times but we got safely to the top of the hill! :icon-cool:

The next track proved to be just as slippery and shortly after telling Jiri the only way he will get through this next section is to go fast and keep the momentum, disaster struck! :shifty:

I stopped at the side of the track and walked down to help Jiri and Aneta.

IMG_1380.jpg

The Troopy had slid into the bank at the side of the track and blown the tyre off the rim, as we were running such low pressures. :doh:

IMG_1381.jpg

IMG_1382.jpg

We spent 10 minutes assessing the situation and discussing our options.

I couldnt get The 78 close to Jiri myself as there was so little traction and even if I did get close I wouldnt be able to drag the Troopy on such a slippery track and unfortunately there were no trees we could winch off.

So we would just have to change the wheel where the Troopy sat and to even get to the wheel would involve a lot of digging. :thumbdown:

IMG_1383.jpg

IMG_1385.jpg

Dirt moved and wheel off.

IMG_1386.jpg

And with a little help from the MTrax..............

IMG_1389.jpg

We were moving again! :dance:

IMG_1390.jpg

By this point we had all had enough of the clay, so we headed for my favorite track in the area to do some rock crawling! :icon-twisted:

IMG_1392.jpg

IMG_1394.jpg

Jackson Track! :dance:

IMG_1397.jpg

The 78 got up easy enough despite me taking a much harder line this time. :icon-twisted:

Then it was the Troopys turn.

It almost got up on its first attempt but not quite.

IMG_1400.jpg

Second attempt.

We stopped to put the MTrax down to see if that would help.

IMG_1403.jpg

IMG_1404.jpg

IMG_1405.jpg

As can be seen in the video below the Troopy almost makes it and I'm convinced if that one under the passenger front wheel didnt shoot out from under the wheel, then I think the Troopy would have driven it!

At this point Jiri called it and said just drag him up this first rock step.

IMG_1410.jpg

He managed to drive the rest of the track! :clap:

IMG_1411.jpg

IMG_1412.jpg

There were lots of small fallen trees to drive over and through this time.

IMG_1414.jpg

We drove a couple more tracks and then stopped to air up.

IMG_1456.jpg

It was a great trip! :clap:

Despite the terrifying start to the day. :shifty:

Last edited:

Awesome!!! :dance:

Hopefully you will enjoy our fine country. They dont call it LandCruiser country for nothing, they're everywhere! :flags-australia:

Do you see many older 70's over there?

I watch some of the Japanese auctions and they keep finding rare and unusual 70's to sell through the auctions. :icon-cool:

I actually do see them fairly often as I work in a prefecture that doesnt have as strict emissions regulations. Every diesel light duty vehicle has to have an PM and NOx filter added to them if they want to be registered in a "densly populated" area. most the old cruisers I see are HDJ80 and KZj78. every once in awhile I see a 71/73 or a 77. ONCE i saw a BEAUTIFUL VDJ78 Troopy that was imported from Aus!

from my expereince at work here, They REALLY love to give anything their country's dealerships could possibly want. Its insane the variety and special models and features that Japan has that the rest of the world didnt get for another 5-10 years if at all. The Navi in my wifes van from 2009 is light years ahead of what we just rolled out in north america for 2018 model year :roll:

Back