Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Old musicians / performers

When I first heard that first one I thought it was an old Bob Dylan song. Every so often a raw gem turns up like this.

Nice to hear something modern that didn't come out of a talent show , wonder how long it will take Cowell to get hold of him and mold him into another of his completely forgettable superstars :icon-rolleyes:

Seems to me all these talent shows are killing individuality in music . I remember seeing a guy on a talent show (American i think) i don't watch that kind of crap but something about this guy caught my attention as soon as he walked on the stage . Young maybe 20 and i recognised in him somebody who had been around the block for 60 years or more .
"Hi i'm ????? and i'm going to sing dock of the bay" end of conversation . Judges wow hang on there - where are you from , shrug "nowhere in particular" Judges well where did you come from today , Shrug "i've been on the road for 3 weeks to get here"

He went to the keyboard and started and for him he was alone in a room and the audience didn't exist . Brilliant the kid was dripping cool and he didn't even know it . I thought to myself if they change anything about him they may as well shoot him .

The judges were impressed ...... and then they started with you need to lose the cap - embrace the audience - be like all the other numpties who make us money . I have spent a few hours more than once trying to discover what became of him without luck , he might be knocking out number 1 hits with an entirely different persona now or , and more likely i think , he has disappeared back to obscurity because guys like that aren't easily molded into something else .

If it was just me I wouldn't have given X Factor or American idol a look but seeing as I watch all my car programmes it seems fair that Lynn should get to watch these.

There are guys from nowhere that win and get sucked into the machine never to be heard (of) again. Then there's those that don't win, they generally do better. Adam Lambert for example, he's on tour with Queen at the moment. Leona Lewis has probably been the most successful winner, Paul Potts or Susan Boyle, as unlikely looking as you might expect but up there with the best. Like Jackie Evancho (if you've not seen her audition, I defy you not to be moved. http://youtu.be/P3LRSqWAoc0 ) there are some excellent talents that wouldn't get a chance without knowing someone who can open the right doors.

Then there's incredible talent that played on over a thousand hits, yet hardly anybody's heard of him, a brief mention on local radio maybe TV when he died was all.

The music business is a big machine that can suck people in and ruin them, or it can make them. With anything to do with promotion, you need someone on the inside who knows the ropes and the route to get there otherwise raw talent just isn't enough.

Shayne, i thought you might have meant Scotty Mcreary, who actually won American Idol, but refused to be changed and just did it his way. I thought he had a voice like Jim Reaves and for a young guy he had an 'old soul' way about him like you described, but he didn't play keyboard or turn up that way.

Anyway, enough of that, let's get back to the music.

Here's a guy who had a break on Jules Holland Hootenanny…and went a bit nuts at the end of it 'cos he thought he'd screwed up.

http://youtu.be/eR0c3MGmy-A

He didn't realise at the time that everybody loved it!! I remember the whole room watching it at our friends new year get together.

Then he did this one with one of the best lyrics ever…(IMHO of course)

http://youtu.be/C3Iam7JELDM

Last edited:
Nope not Mcreary Rich he is an all American blue eyed boy compared to the fella i seen stood at a keyboard as if he had just come across it in a junk shop and i think wearing a flat cap . It may not have been one of the many big shows , tv was on with nobody watching it as usual and i just happened to look up as he walked on . I remember thinking that guy is cooler than faded blue jeans ..... why isn't he wearing jeans . We will never know i guess .

Until you asked i would have swore it was Otis Reddings sitting on the dock of the bay but maybe i can't find him because i have the wrong song ? I don't know it was an unexpected 3 minute distraction and dismissed as such , but obviously it left an impression .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
TBH the programmes don't really interest me. It's the moments like that that do though.

Yeah that's the one it would seem that he didn't change so they had him do a few covers of old tracks and he signed to sony and has since retired . Now i have his name there's a fair amount of interest in him on the web but i think i was right when i said fit the mold or be gone .

At the end of the day it's a TV programme and the public do the voting. That's where it all goes pear shaped 'cos they vote for the one that looks good or puts on the biggest show.

Like I say, it's often those that don't win that do better.

:shock: you don't actually believe public votes decide the winners :laughing-rolling:

The winners contract is tied to the show why share the profits when you can sign them yourself if they don't win .

Last edited:
I enjoyed Seasick Steve, not seen him before. Thre's a nice vid of him playing with Tom Jones and one with John Paul Jones on slide guitar.

Interesting to see him play a 3 string guitar.

Like his John Deer hat too!

:shock: you don't actually believe public votes decide the winners :laughing-rolling:

The winners contract is tied to the show why share the profits when you can sign them yourself if they don't win .

All entrants are signed to Cowell (or whoever runs the show) if they are good enough and they want them. The entry form is an option to sign all entrants.

I think it would be blown wide open if it emerged that the votes that people have paid to vote played no part in choosing who stays and who goes. That would be fraud.

I enjoyed Seasick Steve, not seen him before. Thre's a nice vid of him playing with Tom Jones and one with John Paul Jones on slide guitar.

Interesting to see him play a 3 string guitar.

Like his John Deer hat too!

There's some great videos to explore.

The appearance on Jools Hootenanny was his making. In fact there is a documentary on him where a pal of his finds him that guitar.
Interviews with him are great. He has some wonderful stories to tell.

One of the most genuine raw performers I've ever seen.
Glad to have introduced him to you. [emoji4]

Great thread this :thumbup:

where else do you get Seasick Steve opening the days tunes :dance: I first saw him on BBC breakfast news when he came over here to play NYE with Jooles, we've been fans ever since!

what about a bit of Tommy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPkQn5nDTZs

Good one Pete, I think he may have some extra fingers in there somewhere. [emoji4]

Can't deny that ones catch Shayne.

These guys have been around a while but really seem to be at their peak musically right now…

http://youtu.be/tgbNymZ7vqY

John Farnham DID have a good voice but he was off key in that video several times. I remember the original. Not as bad as Paul McCartney who can't sing for a toffee now.

Nobody like Pink Floyd ?

Back