Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

preheater melt, oil in intake, moves like a slug ???

jaykayuk

my 95 24valve GS is no faster than a milk float uphill, from a standing start

hearing a hissing noise by the intake, opened it up, and found this

looks like something melted at the preheating..btw... battery was totally dead after being parked for a while.. there is also oil soot/powder around the inside ?????

i know i may need to adjust the fuel as couple of posters have mentioned about fuel pump adjustment.

whats going on with the oil in the intake ?... beside the possible faulty relay, and pump tune ( but really that shouldnt be necessary unless its way lower than stock ) anyone have anyideas ?

Blanking off the egr on mine made a huge difference on mine, let me know if you need plates.
Also, I went through all the vacuum pipes and had to replace some and also found may main fuel hose from filter to pump was snagging on linkage for throttle and restricting fuel supply.
There is also the fuel tank pick up, fuel filter and tank breathers for an easy check.
Plus I would do all this before touching the pump.

Lack of power and oil in the intake points to the turbo - suggest you have a good look at that for your power issue!

Also check the relay for the pre-heater that sits underneath the drivers side battery tray - I don't think it's directly related to the pre-heater melting but is one of the few known weak points on the HD-FT so check it out too! It can cause a fire in a worst case scenario.

Do you think the melting is caused by something burning in there or does it look like something hot has caused it (i.e. hot wiring or the preheater staying on too long)? Hard to tell from your pics.

How much of the truck's history do you know? I.e. how long have you had it and what work has been done in this area of the engine?

Cheers,

ive had it approx 8 months,,,once up to speed moves quite well,,will cruise easily at 70,

its done around 126k miles...miles looks genuine and was not used as a workhorse

service stamps looks like its been taken care of.

bypassed most of that system...

not sure how essential it is... but it moves much better..

red line = new feed from the intake to fuel pressure regulator i think..
yellow broken line = original vacuum hoses..
blue line = closed EGR.. no more black soot going into the intake.

Pump adjustments are easy and quick. Paul your were already done on your 80 when you got it ;)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back