Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Romania 2015

Braking distances Shayne?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

ok we made it and the house is beautiful

Clive and his wife are looking after us real well

Weather is bad so Wayne and i have said we will wait until the rest arrive today we go out

Ok, will upload pictures of the rain when i can

OK, I know the others have been on the road for 4-5 days already, but today was really day 1 for me. With Mike (ratrace) and Wayne turning up yesterday, and it teeming with rain all night, we woke this morning to solid mist/fog. It was a late lie-in and not worth doing too much with the weather as it was, so we had a trip down to the local supermarket for supplies and had a leisurely breakfast.

Then we had a message that the rest of the team would arrive at about 4:00pm, so not to miss out on too much, I took Mike & Wayne up the back lane to get the tyres a bit muddy.

IMG_4960.JPG

IMG_4961.JPG

IMG_4962.JPG

IMG_4963.JPG

IMG_4964.JPG

IMG_4968.JPG

IMG_4972.JPG

After reaching the asphalt, we headed for my hill, but the rain had made the ground like mayonnaise on the surface and after slithering around a bit we couldn't get up the steep grassy hill. So we headed back to the asphalt and made our way to Secaria at the bottom of the valley and then climbed the serpentine road up to the top of the next hill range.

IMG_4973.JPG

IMG_4974.JPG

Back down the track again to the house and just in time for....

IMG_4975.JPG

...the arrival of Chas in the Phoenix, Shayne & Helen in the slightly shorter 90 and Ram in his grey 80. All together now and busy setting up camp...

IMG_4976.JPG

IMG_4977.JPG

IMG_4978.JPG

Shayne's missile carrier is ace. In a few moments after getting the jacks down, it blossomed into something resembling the little house on the prairie, very nice indeed, with a double bed and a sofa, a proper home-from-home.

IMG_4980.JPG

IMG_4981.JPG

So, altogether now at last, we can plan a few little runs out.

IMG_4985.JPG

We had supper and a good old chinwag after having a taster of the home brew plumb brandy and a few beers

IMG_4982.JPG

They're all sleeping now while I'm posting, we'll see what tomorrow brings...

Last edited:
So much to say I don't know where to begin , great house and a very warm welcome and i have ordered Helen to steal the recipe for the meal prepared for us last night , the rain persists but now it can only make for more fun off road , good company meant there were 9 of us at the table and 10 conversations going on at once !

Now for more relevant news - we all know pics never do things justice but Clive's truck is a monument to that statement , it's mint !
I have never personally felt drawn to the 80 series but the way Clive has nailed his together has really got me speculating again .

Helen and I fell in love with Romania long before we reached our destination .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
"Slightly shorter 90"

I laughed despite myself right there. Sorry it happened, but glad you got there safe.

Shayne, that trailer looks awesome. Need to see a pic of this sofa in there. ..

Glad everything is together enough that the 'venturing continues.

I'm glad no one was hurt, the truck wasn't mortally wounded and the wheels are still on the trailer, though perhaps not necessarily in that order. …[emoji6][emoji4]

Last edited:
'Little house on the prairie…'
[emoji4][emoji108][emoji108][emoji122]

I have to say that does look good (and stable) deployed.

Well done Shayne, you've done a cracking job on that.

Sorry can't do pics as I am limited to the wonders of touchscreen .

I will leave the details for someone else to report but we all had a fantastic day and I would like to thank the bin wagon for getting stuck and allowing us all to get filthy with mud even before we reached the road from Clive's house :lol: gotta love Romanian police but I will let Clive explain that one , and all of a sudden someone said it was 8pm and we were 2 hours late for our evening meal :shock:

OK, it rained all night.

I'm gutted because the heatwave broke on the very day of arrival, just can't believe it :icon-rolleyes:

I didn't want to risk a trip on the ridge in the wet, its clay-soil and grass, a lethal combination in the wet after such a dry spell, so what to do? Opted for an asphalt trip to a place called Pestera, which is down in a valley, because the higher we went the further we would bury ourselves into the clouds.

We set off down to the main road, but on the way, we spotted a garbage truck bogged into a side track, they've been installing a sewer pipe and had left the backfilling loose... and it was raining. No photos of that 'cos we were busy, eventually pulled him out (twice) using a tow strap to my rear shackles and winching with a snatchblock off a concrete cable pole. Someone else will have to post photos of that malarkey :lol:

Good-deed of the day duly done, we took the DN1 from our village (Comarnic) northwards and just before entering Sinaia, took a left onto the Targovista road. It snakes its way up to about 1000m, then there's a tourist road on the right. We pulled up in a layby so that the convoy could re-group.

Bugger me, as I jumped from the truck, a police patrol car pulled up. They asked what we were doing and I explained that I lived locally and that the rest of the bunch were friends who'd travelled all the way from the UK.

"Is that your vehicle?" I was asked, "yes" said I, "papers" was the reply...

While my documents were being inspected, I asked if the road was open (because it's closed in winter and on days with poor visibility or storms). "Technically no" was the answer, "but many tourists use it..." said the cop.

"Is it illegal to use it when it's closed?" I asked innocently "we don't want to be breaking the law" I added.

"Technically yes, when it's closed you can't use it" said the cop, "but people use it". "OK" said I, "so if we were to use it now, would you book us?" "No he said, have a good trip" :lol:

This road used to be dirt and rocks up to about 4 years ago. It's steep and serpentine and was great for downhill biking, now it's boring asphalt half the way, but the rest of it let us pretend we were offroad...

Some fallen rocks, just to remind us that nature is still the real boss

DSCN7152a.JPG

Into the gorge...

DSCN7153a.JPG

DSCN7155a.JPG

DSCN7156a.JPG

Plenty of water there now...

DSCN7157a.JPG

DSCN7158a.JPG

DSCN7159a.JPG

DSCN7160a.JPG

Ram's grey 80...

DSCN7163a.JPG

Mark looking like he's trying to run Wayne over...

DSCN7167a.JPG

and Helen trying to ram Mike, oh no, that's not right...

DSCN7169a.JPG

We stopped and took a walk, down loads of steps...

DSCN7170a.JPG

Then it was up loads of steps and this steep path...

DSCN7173a.JPG

DSCN7174a.JPG

And this is the gateway to a tiny monastery/church inside a cave

DSCN7175a.JPG

Traditionally painted, Romanian Orthodox...

DSCN7177a.JPG

Then a wander deep into the cave...

DSCN7191a.JPG

DSCN7194a.JPG

DSCN7196a.JPG

DSCN7197a.JPG

Back into the misty daylight...

DSCN7199a.JPG

The monastery buildings...

DSCN7203a.JPG

The roofs and cladding are in small hand-carved wooden shingles... impressive

DSCN7204a.JPG

DSCN7205a.JPG

DSCN7206a.JPG

DSCN7208a.JPG

DSCN7212a.JPG

DSCN7213a.JPG

DSCN7214a.JPG

DSCN7216a.JPG

The line-up

DSCN7217a.JPG

Making our way back up alongside the stream

DSCN7219a.JPG

DSCN7221a.JPG

and crossing over it

DSCN7222a.JPG

and the return run down the side of the reservoir, now the mist has cleared a bit

DSCN7223a.JPG

Ever had that feeling, like you're being followed?

DSCN7224a.JPG

Back through the gorge...

DSCN7225a.JPG

DSCN7227a.JPG

DSCN7231a.JPG

DSCN7232a.JPG

DSCN7234a.JPG

A look-stop, at the reservoir

DSCN7236a.JPG

Happy truck!

DSCN7237a.JPG

DSCN7238a.JPG

DSCN7242a.JPG

The views we missed on the way up in the mist

DSCN7240a.JPG

DSCN7243a.JPG

DSCN7244a.JPG

DSCN7248a.JPG

DSCN7250a.JPG

DSCN7252a.JPG

DSCN7255a.JPG

DSCN7256a.JPG

Lined up to go home...

More tomorrow...

Last edited:
I'm glad no one was hurt, the truck wasn't mortally wounded and the wheels are still on the trailer, though perhaps not necessarily in that order. …[emoji6][emoji4]

Yep wheels stayed on but the trailer brakes were locked solid and in hindsight I so wish I had got someone to video me dragging it with its wheels locked and tyres screeching to a bus stop 50ft down the road in Vienna town centre . Says something about how tough these trucks are that despite all the front bodywork being bent , the a/c condenser being crushed , and the rad leaning back a good 4" from its intended position everything still works with no leaks or noises and it drives as good as ever . Pity the army didn't make thier stuff so strong as the trailers NATO hitch is kaput the impact bent the hydraulic ram so brakes had to be disconnected to get us back on the road .

sh*t happens my reaction was to shake my head assess the damage and set to work getting us moving again .

Not just me then Clive.
Romania looks beautiful. Lynn commented that it looks like Austria. Hope you can get the rest of the pics up, she's rather looking forward to seeing them (as am I). [emoji4]

Pics looking good, those that load. It seems to timeout loading the all ? Are they hosted on the forum or on another site?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

^ That's what I find an issue; if I load them at uni then it's pretty good (about 95%+ success) but at home (fibre to the door...) I don't get as much success... However, Ben's threads (where his photos are hosted on Photobucket or similar) then it has no problems...

Even given all that, the photos look great, Shayne's trailer looks awesome (and I've been off checking the military disposal auctions here after seeing it) and the scenery looks pretty special.

I'll have another go.

They all loaded (as far as I knew) perfectly, on download direct from my laptop harddrive, they were all visible and I was using the advanced option.

Then I pressed post and I could see them..

However, when I went back to the post, only half were there and a right mouse click on the "Attachment ####" says invalid link or some such.

I'll have to reload them in edit and see how that works out. Trouble is it takes ages and then to find they don't work is :angry-screaming: to say the least.... :icon-rolleyes:

I'll have another go.

They all loaded (as far as I knew) perfectly, on download direct from my laptop harddrive, they were all visible and I was using the advanced option.

Then I pressed post and I could see them..

However, when I went back to the post, only half were there and a right mouse click on the "Attachment ####" says invalid link or some such.

I'll have to reload them in edit and see how that works out. Trouble is it takes ages and then to find they don't work is :angry-screaming: to say the least.... :icon-rolleyes:

Clive,

Are you sure you haven't dropped the file extension on the unloading pics? The ones that won't load are those marked "attachment xxxxx". Those marked with a file ext of .jpg load OK. Just a thought.

I don't know how I have if that's the case TP, I've uploaded them all the same way using the "basic uploader" option and browsing to the files.

They seem to be uploading OK now though, I'm working my way through the missing ones in "edit"...

Back