Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The inevitable changing nature of this forum.

I have a 90 but want a 100, well I would like a 105...but can't see me getting one of those! I do like the 80 series, they do have lots of character which the newer models all seem to have lost.

Think everybody is going to have reasons why they like their model of cruiser the best.

For me, my 80 is as much a hobby as my DD. I enjoy trying to undo all the criminal neglect inflicted on her by the PO. When I buy spare parts I try to buy two if I can as don’t know how long Mr Toyo will keep producing them.

I specifically hunted down an early ’93 manual as I wanted something that was predominately mechanical and not controlled by banks of electronic wizardry.

No doubt most folk would turn their nose up at my slightly battered museum relic but I look at modern cruisers and feel no desire to own one. That’s just me, old bikes and cars are my thing and wild horses wouldn’t drag my 80 from my fingers.

Each to their own.

Great thread Lazz. You just never can tell where something is going to go. I love all Landcruisers - except the 50 and the 200 really.

But this is not about your favourite model, it's about the shift of power from the mighty 80, imperious as it still is to other, lesser models. Whoa, I am kidding. Some of it has to do with availability doesn't it? More people come on here now saying they're looking for a 100 or an D4D powered 95 / 120. Because they are falling into the realms of affordability. More parts become available so repair and maintenance becomes easier too. So I think it is inevitable that the tide will change. Eventually the supply of 80s will dry up in the UK there has to be a point at which there are no decent ones left for sale. But we aren't quite there yet. There are people hanging on to theirs in case of a bad Winter or until fuel hits £1.70 / l.

I don't care if the forum spreads out more as long as we're all nice to each other and help out when people ask politely and behave themselves. Without those common courtesies, we'd all be driving Landrovers.

I have had five 80s in my Landcruiser owning life, more than any other vehicle. I bought them because they were the best vehicle for what I wanted to do at the time. In terms of a reliable, tough off road vehicle they have no match, except maybe a Merc G wagon, in my opinion. This makes them a great choice for more adventurous overland trips or more extreme off road stuff. Personally, and this is only my view - each to their own and all that, I do not see the point in running an 80 as a purely on road daily driver. One of the IFS Cruisers would make a much better choice.

As has been said, 80s are a dying breed. They are not being made any more so numbers are decreasing. People will be turning to alternatives so naturally other areas of the forum will grow as traffic in the 80 section reduces.

I like the more extreme side of off roading, in my opinion one of the IFS Cruisers would not be suitable for what I wanted. I had taken the green car (an 80 with big lift and 37's) about as far as was sensible without spending big money so looked elsewhere. I ended up with the Unimog. It can do things off road that my 80 would not which was what I wanted.

To bring a further twist I have recently been looking for a road car that can tow 3500kg. In the Cruiser range that means one of the heavy duty ones an 80, 100 or 200. 200s are well out of my budget as are everything but early 100's and some 80's. To cut a very long story short, I ended up with a Mercedes ML55. Price wise it was the same as the nastiest of 80s but for what I want is a far better choice of road car. Reliability will be the big question. The combined price, and budget is important to a lot of people, of the Mog and the ML is less than a good 80 and I have ended up with, again in my opinion, a better off road vehicle and a better on road vehicle.

Reliability will be the big question.

I'm glad you said that first :lol:

The 1st gen ML was not MBs finest hour, but by now most of the kinks should have been ironed out. The engine's a gem though.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Apparently most of the kinks were sorted for the 2001 facelift, mine is post facelift. Time will tell. I have no illusions it will be as reliable as a Toyota, but then again it will not be going off road and I am a paid up member of the AA with full recovery and hire car cover :icon-biggrin:

I have to agree the engine is sweet.

Interesting thread - exactly the same pattern as the Landy forums, interestingly enough. A few years ago it was all Defenders and Series vehicles, then more Discoveries, Freelanders, etc. Interesting stat (which I may have made up) is that there are more Freelanders now than Series I, II AND III Landies ever built - but to most Green Oval lovers the Freelander owner remains a wannabe.

Feel much the same about Cruisers TBH - ran my 80 series for about 18 months now (as part of a small fleet of family vehicles) and after some initial fettling its been great - superb family vehicle with character and real road presence, and the ability to go away and plonk across the highways and byways of Europe (or beyond) when you need it. There will be increasing numbers of newer vehicles on this and other forums, but (at the moment) I wouldn't switch. Just my 2p.

but to most Green Oval lovers the Freelander owner remains a wannabe.

Intersting that; so which of the newer LC's are you suggesting is the wannabe, or does it apply to every cruiser after the indomitable 80.

LOL. Well, with the likelihood of getting pilloried, I'm not much of a fan of the 90 series vehicles - always felt more Shogun than Landcruiser to me.... tried a few before I bit the bullet and got a 80. 105 would probably be my next choice, I guess?

A fair analogy, if the "Landcruiser" name is to be primarily associated in the mind with beam-axled heavy-duty workhorses like the 80.

I think I'd have to agree Dave, I've never been a big fan of 90 series, they have always struck me as a bit of a girls thing, for bringing the ponies to the show? Big plastic bumpers atc have never 'done it' for me.
The 80 is the last 'truck' type LC in my opinion, nice and industrial/agricultural without being ancient like a defender.

Wow, fighting talk.

Lazz what have you done? Someone hide the nuclear launch codes before it gets nasty.

I know it's all a bit of fun, but really can't agree with the assessment of the 90/95. Ever seen a 90 going up the steps at Lincomb? Ain't no Girlie-wagon going to do that.

Not my suggestion Guv... but gotta agree, 90/95 not my thing in terms of shape, and most of them are Green for some peculiar reason, some even that odd almost Turquoise colour.

Can't say much for their off road capabilities as I've never owned one.
I do however like the shape of the 120/150 much nicer, but my guess is they're real girlie wagons tho!!:teasing-tease:

You just can't help yourself can you.:violence-duel:

I know I am on very shaky ground with the ML but since 90s seem to be being picked on, are they really that much better than Shoguns and such like?

In my experience they're certainly better screwed together, and will take considerably more abuse before giving out. You don't see many (if any) roadworthy 90/95s for <£1k. Knackered Shoguns are 10 a penny.

I think its safe to say at least none of them are land rovers! :icon-biggrin::icon-biggrin: Is the 90/95 a good truck better than a shogun? I think so and I think the shoguns have IFS and IFR with no rear locker too right?

Toyota is one of my favorite car manufactures due to the way they build cars and how much better they are to repair than most other makes.

Last edited:
For my money where the Colorado gains over other very similar products - Mistsi, Troop etc is in the quality of it's 4 wheel drive mechanism and drive train. No need for FWH or electronic front prop clutches etc. it is a proper system beautifully mated. Motorway or field, it's in 4 wheel all the time. It may have a sunroof or plastic arches and be seen parked outside the primary school at 15.00 hrs but it's a proper 4x4. And the rear locker as standard is a monster bonus

But we're into thread drift again. Not that it matters. I don't think that the question was about which Landcruiser is the best. That's a stupid question. They are all Landcruisers. It was about the changing balance of the forum. Possibly a pointless point in the first place but we all like a good discussion.

I recall the early Lincombs where Simon and I were in SWBs, Grenade used to poll up in his Prado shortie and Steve was (still is) in his black LWB. Now, Colorados just about out number the 80 brigade. Who cares. It's great to see them and it gives us some thing to practice recovery on ...

As an aside, every single obstacle that has beaten an 80 has beaten a 90 too. Therefore they must be equal. Hmm, not sure that works.

Well I have had my 120 series now for over 6 years.
Reliability "built in"

Had her about 6 times longer than any previous car.

But yes, agree some posts, that the 80 may be a slowly dying out breed, but they are still a very capable vehicle.

Could there be any wild imagination that the 120 series could have been made with a solid beam front ?

Or, I guess that question should have been applied to the 90/95 series

A 90/95 series with an optional solid front end axle, who might have been tempted?

Gra

Back