Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The inevitable changing nature of this forum.

For my money where the Colorado gains over other very similar products - Mistsi, Troop etc is in the quality of it's 4 wheel drive mechanism and drive train. No need for FWH or electronic front prop clutches etc. it is a proper system beautifully mated. Motorway or field, it's in 4 wheel all the time. It may have a sunroof or plastic arches and be seen parked outside the primary school at 15.00 hrs but it's a proper 4x4. And the rear locker as standard is a monster bonus

But we're into thread drift again. Not that it matters. I don't think that the question was about which Landcruiser is the best. That's a stupid question. They are all Landcruisers. It was about the changing balance of the forum. Possibly a pointless point in the first place but we all like a good discussion.

I recall the early Lincombs where Simon and I were in SWBs, Grenade used to poll up in his Prado shortie and Steve was (still is) in his black LWB. Now, Colorados just about out number the 80 brigade. Who cares. It's great to see them and it gives us some thing to practice recovery on ...

As an aside, every single obstacle that has beaten an 80 has beaten a 90 too. Therefore they must be equal. Hmm, not sure that works.

My main point, Chris, wasn't what LC is best (80, obviously) - but in response to the original post - i,e, that what we're seeing here is simply a common symptom as enthusiast clubs and groups run over time - it happened with Landrover, and its starting to happen with Cruisers. I remember many years ago when I was a member of the MG Owners Club with a 73 RWA Midget, the first rebadged MG Metros and Maestros started to appear... :puke-right: it becomes a numbers game and the forums and clubs will change.

I guess my main point is, when does badge engineering and capitalising on a known and respected name, take over from genuine evolution of a vehicle? Aston Martin Cygnet anyone? Try rocking up to an Aston owners club in that one... :think:

Sorry Dave that wasn't aimed at you in particular it was just a general ramble mate.

Obviously I have to agree on the 80. Ho Ho.

I know it's all a bit of fun, but really can't agree with the assessment of the 90/95. Ever seen a 90 going up the steps at Lincomb? Ain't no Girlie-wagon going to do that.

Yes but at least the 80 can get up the steps without tearing its diffs apart :whistle:

Yes but at least the 80 can get up the steps without tearing its diffs apart :whistle:
Where are these steps? I don't recall. I must have driven over them without realising. You know, ATRAC 'n' all ;)

The 150, stock, road tyres, really surprised me at Lincomb. There was little, of what I asked it to, could not do. Not wanting to be as cruel as I was with the black one, I was mindful of anything harsher than daffodils in fear of scratching it.

I see a ridiculous amount of 80's on the roads down here! :icon-cool:

Literally going for a 10-15 minute drive I normally see 4 or 5 everytime! :dance:

So even when the UK ones have all been exported/rusted away there will be plenty here to ship back. :think:

All driven on salt free roads, and with the second auxiliary fuel tank as standard! :icon-biggrin:

No lockers though sadly. :thumbdown:

Don't worry Ben, you send them we'll fit the lockers here.

A 150 up the steps now someone has to be the first to do that.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Is it too late to join in ???

i can supply pics of 120's recovering a 95 stuck in the snow in Italy, a fourtrack in Yorkshire, various land rovers, but I have not found anywhere to attach a rope to an 80 that wasn't too rusty. Apparently 80's are only used for boat launching :whistle:

But seriously, don't underestimate the 120,s I would happily take mine anywhere you would take an 80. Which reminds me....i dont see too many 80's in trip reports going up parkamoor? But there were two 120's and a 95 there not too long ago.

Hmmm, last Lincomb with Lil' Blue, twice. First time I walked it, second was a bit ropey but that was my driving. I love the 80's and look forward to owning one but the 90/95 is no slouch, just needs more skill to drive :lol:

Trev, that was a dig at me. I'm the reason that LB has a very low mileage rear ring and pinion.

Actually that doesn't surprise me, I think the Steps were tougher to do back then when I compare the YouTube vid with how they looked last year. Certainly needed a level of "commitment" to get up by the looks of it.

have to put my 2p in for the 90. Firstly I love mine and they are very capable. As for the change face of the forum. Early 90's have simple reliable engines and are coming into an affordable price range. OK so they are smaller than the 80 but hell you can still fit plenty in. I think that this setup will at some point prove to be what will make it. Most out there are still good examples some even with sub 100k.

Comparing the 90 and the shug. Well I have had both I had both a petrol 3.5 v6 and the 2.8 derv. and neither had anywhere near as much poke as the LC. the only thing I miss about them is the mega comfy rise and fall armchairs in the front. When it comes to the SWB there is far more room in a 90 that a shug.

Off topic again.

Back the the point 90's will rise in the forum posts simply due to the fact that there are more of them about.

First time I drove a disco was when I had a 95 auto Collie. I took the disco back to my mate and told him I thought it was broken. It had no torque at all. It was utterly dead. We swapped and he drove mine.

He worked out what he was missing. That 3.0L would pull a house down.

First time I drove a disco was when I had a 95 auto Collie. I took the disco back to my mate and told him I thought it was broken. It had no torque at all. It was utterly dead. We swapped and he drove mine.

Funnily enough I had this conversation with Trevor earlier. At my unit there is a kerb sized step up into the unit. now my 90 just crawls up it in 1st with no throttle. to get my mates disco up there I pretty much had to floor it. but even worse than that when I took it back out again I had to clean all the rust and oil off the floor.

I just sold my Disco2, I did not like it. Slow, horrible high revving auto box with crap cab ergonomics and surprisingly small inside. In Afghanistan we carried out a drag race between the following Vehicles,

Armoured Humvee
Armoured G Wagon
Armoured Land Rover Defender (Snatch) the engine was tuned more to give more power than a normal Wolf defender to help with the extra weight

1st place was the G wagon
2nd Place was the Hummer slightly behind
3rd place was the snatch

My snatch had 70miles on the clock, in that time the air conditioning broke, the hazard light switch failed and they fitted armored doors with bullet proof windows, but kept the same stupid door hinges and latches that they use for a normal defender which snapped off....Land Rover produce some great vehicles but the execution of those is just absolutely terrible.

Last edited:
Funnily enough I had this conversation with Trevor earlier. At my unit there is a kerb sized step up into the unit. now my 90 just crawls up it in 1st with no throttle. to get my mates disco up there I pretty much had to floor it. but even worse than that when I took it back out again I had to clean all the rust and oil off the floor.
Well thats brought the first laugh of the day.:icon-biggrin:
Well done,

Gra

This is, by definition, now an 80 thread so;-

One was for sale in Slough for £10,000. One owner who I tracked down and talked to but I was not quick enough. SOLD. I need 2 80's really because my present one although being green is not a DD as I don't want to scratch it.

Frank

Just to turn this thread totally on its head.........................

40% and growing of all the traffic on this site is now coming from Australia! :dance:

Statistics:

We're getting more and more visitors from Australia! We're getting hit 217,000 views a month with about 40%, and climbing, coming from Aus. NSW getting about 2.5k unique visitors a month, SA - 800, Vic - 2100 unique visitors a month.

Well down here we have no shortage of 60's, 70's, 80's and 105's! :dance:

So maybe the forum wont be moving forward to newer cruisers quite so much, not if we continue to get more and more Aussies on board! :flags-australia:

I'm late to this thread but I'll pin my colours to the mast; I've had a 95 for 10 years, though I would've preferably bought a 100 back then if my budget allowed.

The 95 has done everything we have asked from it in those 10 years, I appreciate in our case that that may not have been be much more than a standard car, however we have had lots of fun and our 90 is part of the family now.

I'm sure we will move on to a 100/120/150 eventually but something drastic would have to happen to the 95, for that to be considered at the moment.

LOL. Well, with the likelihood of getting pilloried, I'm not much of a fan of the 90 series vehicles - always felt more Shogun than Landcruiser to me.... tried a few before I bit the bullet and got a 80. 105 would probably be my next choice, I guess?

Personally I think that was the whole point. When the Pajero was introduced in the 80s, it was fairly successful, the 2nd gen even more so........Toyota didn't have a direct competitor, the 60/80 was larger more expensive and the 70 was seen as more utilitarian. Therefore the 90 was born..........well that's my take on it, at least.

What I am really glad of is that there are all these different versions out there, catering for different budgets, abilities and requirements. Whatever you want to do, wherever you want to go, however much you have to spend, there will be an LC for you. :thumbup:

What I am really glad of is that there are all these different versions out there, catering for different budgets, abilities and requirements. Whatever you want to do, wherever you want to go, however much you have to spend, there will be an LC for you. :thumbup:

Eloquently put Chad, lekker one !

Back