Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The people have spoken

My point of view regarding importing french oak either kiln dried or green oak is that before brexit kiln dried oak was circa £1600 per m3 ... after the wonderful vote it has risen to £2600 per m3 (priced 2 months ago). Due to a weaker pound and inflation.

So with a no deal and if there's a 50% tariff on it then it could rise to £3900.00 per m3.

So what am I going to have to do to get the work in? Lower my rate on the labour? It still takes the same amount of time to do the job!

This is not good in my opinion.

It also works out bad in the other direction, for example a uk fisherman/woman has to export and have a tariff banged on top of the consignment.. it woun't be a competitive sale so does the uk product have to be lower for it to sell when it reaches europe? In order for it to be sold/saleable?

It's 26 vs 1 with the pain being spread out among the EU members.Most European governments are sick to death with the whining and self pitying bullshit from the UK government.Their sense of entitlement is far greater than their actual importance in EU trade.A reckoning is at hand if a deal isn't made.

Just as you need the wood to make a living those who sell it need you to buy it , same as fish will they close every fish shop and restaurant in Europe to punish Britain ?

Deal or no deal is about an all inclusive blanket arrangement a catchall principal set in law but with or without its unquestionable trade will continue because without buyers sellers go bust . Where there is demand there will always be supply and Britain as a whole is a very wealthy customer .

I wonder how much someone is willing to invest (lose) in order to convince you American oak is better and what France might do to cling on to its shrinking market .

Unshackled and global Britian becomes a very competitive market .

Short term pain for long term gain .

My point of view regarding importing french oak either kiln dried or green oak is that before brexit kiln dried oak was circa £1600 per m3 ... after the wonderful vote it has risen to £2600 per m3 (priced 2 months ago). Due to a weaker pound and inflation.

So with a no deal and if there's a 50% tariff on it then it could rise to £3900.00 per m3.

So what am I going to have to do to get the work in? Lower my rate on the labour? It still takes the same amount of time to do the job!

This is not good in my opinion.

It also works out bad in the other direction, for example a uk fisherman/woman has to export and have a tariff banged on top of the consignment.. it woun't be a competitive sale so does the uk product have to be lower for it to sell when it reaches europe? In order for it to be sold/saleable?
no.

the cost of materials is the cost of materials. this is passed on to the customer, you should be getting trade discount so you can put a small percentage on for yourself, bringing the amount up to what the non trades person would expect to be paying themselves if they rolled up at the timber yard.

this is of course up to you. you can make the point that you are supplying the materials at trade price as a bit of a sweetener.

Do they have cheaper oak in Brazil or Papua New Guinea or elsewhere though , I suppose prices will be set by whoever is keenest to sell . Of course pro EU will happily pay more for french cheese while the rest of us opt for cheddar .

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
dont know. thats where shopping around comes in.

i eat about as much french cheese as the french eat british cheese.

yup.

non.

I just wonder how long the short term pain will last before the promised sunlit uplands appear and who will be feeling the pain most. Plenty of bluster (send in the gunships etc.), but seemingly little planning for the effect of increased prices on those who are already struggling to make ends meet.

Just as you need the wood to make a living those who sell it need you to buy it , same as fish will they close every fish shop and restaurant in Europe to punish Britain ?
Just as the UK doesn't buy 100% of French oak exports the EU members don't rely exclusively on British fish.Fishing is a tiny part of the UK & I'm sure the Spanish fleet would be delighted to take up the slack UK fish vis too expensive.as I've said any pain will be spread among 26...

Deal or no deal is about an all inclusive blanket arrangement a catchall principal set in law but with or without its unquestionable trade will continue because without buyers sellers go bust
As if those in Brussels or Whitehall care wether small and or medium sized businesses go to the wall.Most of the fruit eaten in the UK is imported a good deal from european producers.It's not just about giving up camembert

You can't just pass price increases on to the customer. The higher the price the fewer customers you will have so in the end you will be earning nothing per annum.

Both oak and fish are natural resource they can't simply produce more to offset the loss .

Fishing is much like farming think of crop rotation only it happens on a weekly basis though its more complicated than that because good fishing today might give up nothing tomorrow , finding the grounds is one thing but then you need the right tides , water temperature , wind direction its a daily gamble involving significant amounts of cash - natures rules .

Lets say for simplicity’s sake a farm is 100% arable and sustainability demands only 50% may be used for crops at any one time what options do you have if the farm is reduced in size by 50% ?

It seems rich unaffected people are happy to sit around a table and discuss inflicting as much damage as possible both at home and abroad and it doesn't take a genius to work out which citizens will riot first .

Sadly things must get worse before they get better and i too will personally suffer until reason is found in utopia .

If you were now to buy usa oak next year. There would be tariffs banged on top just like the french oak.

This is because we don't have a trade deal with usa.

Up until 31st december 2020 we can buy with no tariffs because the eu has a trade deal with the usa.

After the transition period ends the uk will stand with NOTHING regarding agreements to trade overseas!

When I bought truck parts from Australia the courier sends out the import bill first before the parcel is released. Which spoils the the purchase as the cost increases and it makes it more expensive. Australia has been trying to get a deal with the eu so that this scenario is avoided and makes Au a better country to import export.

Where bj has changed no deal to an australian style deal means that it's the scenario stated above.. tariffs on goods from the eu. which will increase the cost of living.

Fantastic!

You can't just pass price increases on to the customer. The higher the price the fewer customers you will have so in the end you will be earning nothing per annum.

Exactly Frank! And you're also loosing productivity because the delivery is stuck in Kent.

3 trillion USD taken out of circulation during a global down turn because nobody wants it :think:

It seems rich unaffected people are happy to sit around a table and discuss inflicting as much damage as possible both at home and abroad and it doesn't take a genius to work out which citizens will riot first .
This is what you voted for.

This fella may explain it.

We don't want to be hit hard in the pocket. There's quite an amount of responsibility to the citizens of this country for the future and well being of the people of this country...

I really hope that this gets sorted out as I didn't vote for this..

Emphatically yes and i will vote for it again and again and again , you can't barter with absolute arrogance so what we've end up with is a Goliath holding a very large and very sharp sword by its blade trying to bludgeon into submission a much smaller more agile opponent with the blunt handle , he will land some blows and miss others but every attempt to strike will cut into the arrogance a little deeper . Greed rather than reason will demand a truce .

In all of this it is obvious France and Germany are anti UK .... they just don't want us to succeed....
Frau Merkel has been making some statements that echo a certain German leader in the late 30's ....

Shayne you were sold an unicorn and you're getting a dog shit that has been trodden on the street in both directions. with no deal... I've realised that I am going to get affected by this with my income that I have developed over 20 years as a small business...

This is why I'm getting proactive about this...

I voted remain for two reasons..

If there's a recession there's no work. Growth is very important to my job. firstly. and there's no food on the table.

Why believe a bunch of millionaire pusher's for brexit? (they will not be affected) The mouths that shouted and campaigned for it have a vested interest in it... it's called disaster capitalism (look into the tax payer money that's been given to drinking pals with the covid scenario) and it's at YOUR/OUR expense... I remember stating very early on in this thread that "It will be many years ahead that we will benefit from this!" go back and check because it will take a long time to get back to where we are before 31/12/2020.. secondly

I'm not a remoaner but I am concerned about my income which puts food on my table. If there's some kind of deal then it can be a form of damage limitation.

Back