Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

I wonder if admin will move dellboykev's post to the 90 series stickies so its easy to find next time someone asks for a buyers guide ?

It's maybe not a common fault yet but these trucks are getting older and it seems fair to assume this weakness will become more frequently mentioned as time goes on .

Why the 90 series Shayne?? for some reason I thought Kev had an 80 series.

oops , my first thought on seeing the pics is Chris Greens 90 went there , then somebody else with a 95 so i jumped to conclusion , i guess its just something for us all of us with aging trucks to look out for .

It would definitely be something to look out for when buying one mine is an 80 but I have seen a couple of posts on a 90 and it seems to be more common on them.I imagine it would cost some money if I didn't have a welder to do it my self and really to do a proper job the axle would need to come off

Last edited:
The obvious problem with these turrets and various other chassis/suspension brackets is they rot from the inside where it's very difficult to see and treat the corrosion. I give mine a good high pressure spraying with Corrosion Block from time to time which is about all you can do. The stuff seems to have very good 'creep' properties. JMO

The turrets rotting out is a common issue on the 90/95, mostly caused by the drain holes getting blocked up with crap so water and mud sits inside slowing corroding the metal from the inside.

Mine had a dodgy repair from the garage I bought it from which failed on my first Western Sahara trip. I bought another axle to swap over and that was just as bad

Got my roof rack and side steps back from the powder coaters.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454769000.882593.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
brakelines on the rear axles were rusted. removed them with a lot of patience and WD40 and replaced with new ones.
brakeline new.jpg
brakeline rust.jpg

mirror fell out of the housing. fixing it with epoxy and a little help from my friend
mirror80.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm, a job for tomorrow. Scorching hot smell from the DS rear brake. Handbrake I think. Back plate is roasting and actually 'pinging' when I pull up.

Got my roof rack and side steps back from the powder coaters.
View attachment 24377

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahh black side steps, been meaning to do that since i first saw the yank 80s with them.was also going to stick some of that gritty self adheshive stuff on the contact points to help with grip and stop the powder coat wearing off

Ahh black side steps, been meaning to do that since i first saw the yank 80s with them.was also going to stick some of that gritty self adheshive stuff on the contact points to help with grip and stop the powder coat wearing off

The powder coating definitely makes them a little less grippy, although never mind that, this picture really shows up how the LC has had a respray done on the back half, which I hadn't noticed for a good few years until I went to a body shop and he pointed it out!!!

Roll on the wrap, line-x or paint job some time not very soon!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I thought the back was just in the shade..:icon-biggrin:

There was enough thread left on the existing rectifier to get a cable back on.
IMG_2323.JPG

Also replaced the old corroded cable with a nice shiny new one :)

Hey, Shayne, that's looking pretty tidy mate :thumbup:

Now, is that Helen's bonnet that you nicked, or is it yours repaired, or have you stolen one off a neighbour or "car-park auto parts"? :lol:

Answers on a postcard please....

Helen's bonnet is still the matte black one i bought , i kept hers but bubbling paint on the front right edge revealed a fair bit of rust when i smacked it with a hammer (tough love :lol:) so what you see is the one i was painting .

Had the rear non working wiper removed and unseized, now working perfectly, still a raft of jobs to do though on the Black Collie, keep chugging through them.

Just fitted clock lights and centre console light image.jpegit's a lot better as I can now see what I'm looking for down there.

Not on the LC but give my bros Porsche a clean today as he's put it up for sale image.jpegnot bad for a x reg

Back