Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

Got my new spare on Tuesday; went to fit it yesterday... no go... the holder underneath was too small.

Quick look on ToyoDIY yields two different versions for the 4Runner - one for the small tyre (205R16) and one for the wide version (265/70R15 or about 31x10.5R15). I get fed up dealing with some of the guys who are into the 4Runners and Surfs as they aren't always that cluey on some of the subtle differences, so it's sometimes easier to go for a plan b option: A later HiLux has a a similar set up, but without the hooks that curve around the tyre (and is a bit thinner) so off to the wreckers to find that instead. $20 later, and I have the part I need and now ready to paint it up and fit it up later today.

Fitted new disks and calipers.
Well pleased with them so far.

My old brake disks were in a crap state. Amazed didn't get advisory on them at last MOT.
Parting them from the hub took some serious wacks with BFH. Started to think welded on.

Dave.

newDisks.jpg

Seen as I started this thread all those years back I may as well add to it.

Its been a crazy 11 months back in SA but i finally managed to drop the ATF and pan give everything a good clean including the strainer/filter and replace the throttle cable whilst in there.

Nothing out of place or nasty but i did forget to do the 4 bolt up on the filter and only worked it our after i had bolted the pan back on so off it all came and back in i went.

Next is to remove the ASCD which I now have a blanking plate for and then to set the idle again as its a bit high.

I must say i did nothing fancy with the new throttle cable but seem to have better power delivery and smoother changes so something must have needed changing but guess its the ATF.

Happy spannering

Fitted a new genuine Toyota cam belt today, will now replace it every two years regardless of mileage, not worth the risk for £30 and twenty minutes work.

Curiosity got the better of me today, even though i had a bit of paper telling me toyota had done the recall/check on the injectors and pick up pipe. i dropped the oil out again and took the sump off to check the pick up pipe. and it was spotless:icon-biggrin: i can now sleep at night:lol:

And i put genuine Toyota oil back in. I only changed the oil in December, when i picked the LC up. so the engine will be purring along now.

Can't pretend the "who" was me, but the truck (80 series) went in for a new clutch today, all ticketty-boo again :dance:

Work done:

New HD cover plate;
new HD clutch plate;
new thrust/release bearing;
new master cylinder OEM;
slave cylinder rubber seals kit;
new pilot bearing in crank;
new rear crank oil seal;
general check over of the truck, greased UJs and such, brake linings check, and adjusted handbrake.

All in, including Labour, parts, fluids and VAT, 4,500 lei (£794 in old money) :dance:

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Curiosity got the better of me today, even though i had a bit of paper telling me toyota had done the recall/check on the injectors and pick up pipe. i dropped the oil out again and took the sump off to check the pick up pipe. and it was spotless:icon-biggrin: i can now sleep at night:lol:

And i put genuine Toyota oil back in. I only changed the oil in December, when i picked the LC up. so the engine will be purring along now.

If you want to do it again, one of these is much easier.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/usb-endoscope

Hopefully i wont be doing it again. but yes that would work very well and at that money it doesn't matter if you only get one go with it. thanks for the link/idea.

Can't pretend the "who" was me, but the truck (80 series) went in for a new clutch today, all ticketty-boo again :dance:

Work done:

New HD cover plate;
new HD clutch plate;
new thrust/release bearing;
new master cylinder OEM;
slave cylinder rubber seals kit;
new pilot bearing in crank;
new rear crank oil seal;
general check over of the truck, greased UJs and such, brake linings check, and adjusted handbrake.

All in, including Labour, parts, fluids and VAT, 4,500 lei (£794 in old money) :dance:

Thats not too bad a price Clive, my Mum just had a new clutch put it on her aygo (one of these silly semi automatic gearboxs) after 4.5 years and 30k miles it cost her £860. so considering the size of the 80's and you had more done seems like a bargain.

Fitted my dash cam today as I've had it for about 6month now :whistle:and just noticed I can put it on movement detection, if only I'd fitted it before I would of seen the prick stab my tyre, lesson learnt fit stuff as you get em :doh:

Removed rear calipers and rebuilt them. Absolutely solid. I noticed recently that my rear wheels were hot. No, scratch that. Glowing is more accurate. After a run they were scorching and 'tinking' as they cooled. Braking effort was excellent I have to say but I couldn't live with that going on. Dropped the rear prop first to negate any drag. Could barely turn the wheel by hand. The car would roll, but on stands, the resistance was huge. Slackened the hand brake, no different. So it was off with the calipers. These are only about a year old. They were so tight, I ended up putting them back on the truck, bleeding them through and then used the pedal to push the pistons out. The airline wouldn't shift them. They were shocking inside and whilst I thought I had a rebuild kit in stock, it turned out that I didn't. So I had to clean and reuse for now. Will order up bits tonight. So back on and sorted. Braking fine. I guess that what was happening was that the pads were moving out but not moving back. These were new OEM pads but there' not much left of them now. They were a touch glazed too. Now after a run the wheels are cold. Got to say that this looks like yet another Moroccan legacy. Salt is not good for vehicles. If you do Morocco or anything similar and have thoughts about driving along a beach, don't. It's probably the most stupid idea that anyone could ever have. And you'll regret it.

Back